Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dyno Vs. Remote Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 03:35 PM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Dyno Vs. Remote Tuning

Need a tune for my car. Want to get rid of the jerking at low rpm and add cruise control. Extra performance can't hurt.

There's a place near me that does dyno tuning for $900 (license + dyno tune) called Sound Performance.

The other option is having either Z1 Performance or Monsef (if he ever responds to my email) tune it.

Clearly a dyno tune with the right tuner would be better. But is a really good remote tuner equal a moderate dyno tuner? Thoughts? Opinions? **** posts?
Old 10-31-2020, 09:31 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Both are really good options...

I've worked with Moncef personally on a customers car and Moncef is top-notch. I've never worked with Z1 but I think they'd be just as good.

A in-person dyno tune is your best bet but a remote tune from isnt a bad option either.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:31 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by bealljk
Both are really good options...

I've worked with Moncef personally on a customers car and Moncef is top-notch. I've never worked with Z1 but I think they'd be just as good.

A in-person dyno tune is your best bet but a remote tune from isnt a bad option either.
If you could possibly get a hold of Moncef for me and see what his back log is that would be greatly appreciated. I think I might go the Z1 Performance route first getting a remote tune with my own cable. Then, if I am dissatisfied, I already have the cable and can go get dyno tuned.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:39 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

I told you how I feel about Z1 and how my experience was with them, SP is legit and they had an 8 sec Z so they can be trusted with VQs. But the thing is they don't use uprev, they use Haltech I think. Give Moncef some time or touch base with Bree his fiance, she handles a lot of his IG business as he's always on the go tuning, I love his tune and he was easy to work with, just had to wait. Another option would be to contact Specialty Z, their tunes are solid too, I wouldn't recommend Z1 unless going to their dyno for the tune.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:07 PM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Just thought I'd add that if you're trying to get cruise control on a base model it does not work. At least with Uprev. The buttons for changing tune maps will work, but not cruise control itself.

This has been my experience from a bit over a year ago, and with the buttons/ correct pedal switches installed.

Also while dyno tuning is always preferable to get the most accurate results. I dont think you will notice a real driving difference from one over the other.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:26 PM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by Chihuahuamaster
Just thought I'd add that if you're trying to get cruise control on a base model it does not work. At least with Uprev. The buttons for changing tune maps will work, but not cruise control itself.

This has been my experience from a bit over a year ago, and with the buttons/ correct pedal switches installed.

Also while dyno tuning is always preferable to get the most accurate results. I dont think you will notice a real driving difference from one over the other.
I think you need a new tuner. Mine said it wouldn't be a problem
Old 11-04-2020, 03:05 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

There's a how to on this site, it should work. Never heard if it not working, at least on 06+ cars.
The following users liked this post:
seymore4 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
I think you need a new tuner. Mine said it wouldn't be a problem
Well it could indeed be a 'fluke' with the car, or perhaps Uprev did something with the software more recently to get it to work.

This was on an 2008 car and over a year ago. Tuned by admin tuning. I was very happy with the tune, we just couldn't get cruise control to work. I wasnt as concerned with it though.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:16 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Chihuahuamaster

did it on my friends car, just had to add the pedal switches. Simple with all the cars in the junk yard now
Old 11-06-2020, 04:16 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I always prefer a combo of dyno and road tuning - dyno at first, then adjust on the street. If I had to choose, I'd take a road tune. It takes EVERYTHING into account and will give you the best results. Only good thing about the dyno is that it's a very controlled environment and you get a neat piece of paper after.