Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris Flash Service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 PM
XSpeedAddictX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Osiris Flash Service?

Anyone get this mail order tune from Uprev? Did you get a tune later? If yes how good was the mail order tune? Curious how good it is and how far off it is from a dyno tune.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Arvin89

Generally speaking. Its always better to find a good tune shop that will dyno tune your car to the specific mods/setup that you have. Rather than a generic mail in tune.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:28 AM
karletto66

A my friend take Osiris Standard from UPREV.
They made also etunes for his car, with logs and so on.
E-tunes are NOT GENERIC! But made on YOUR logs !!!
Times are quite fast (not FAST but quite...)
Results seems not so bad, driving and looking at logs (but NOT perfect in my opinion, i had better result with other e-tuners here in forum... )
Car is a 350 HR.
Dyno is good but NOT necessarily better that e-tunes : if you logs the car data in REAL words may be conditions are differents that test on a dyno. For examples air-flow is different in real that in a box. And air-flow is very important, more speed-more air in intakes. May be you can have a dyno with air-flow like reality, is possible but not so usual. So e-tunes if WELL made are not so bad IMHO !
Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An e-tune can only take into account getting your AFR right since it's only dealing with logs. Very good for keeping your car running properly after you've made changes that would affect your AFR. Also, you are going to "get back" the power lost because of poor AFRs after breather mods. There are also some advantages from adjusting AFR targets from OEM goals to maps based on your specific goals (improved gas mileage, improved performance, etc) - and improvements to throttle response, etc.

A dyno tune allows for changes to timing and other factors as well as AFR, so dyno tuning is always going to provide greater room for improvements in TQ and HP numbers than just an e-tune. Those factors cannot be safely adjusted with an e-tune, since you need a tuner and dyno to control and monitor rpm, load, knock, afr, timing, etc. all at the same time.

It may not be true in all cases, but in my mind the primary purpose of each is:

e-tune = moar safe
dyno tune = moar powah

That's not to say that you won't gain power from an e-tune. But you should ALWAYS get more from a dyno tune because there is more room for gains/improvements to be made.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:20 AM
XSpeedAddictX

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that the etunes only improve AFR and nothing else (ie timing). Also, some good information was found here. https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/5332...of-osiris.html Scroll down and you will see what the dyno shop was able to pull out of the car, which had an etune, by actually putting it on a dyno.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Yeah, since they can't test for knock or measure when timing advance gets you to MBT (mean best torque), there is no safe way for an e-tune to fiddle around with timing.

Several people much smarter than me have added to this thread, which has good info about Uprev Osiris tuning: https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/5188...ing-101-a.html
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 AM
XSpeedAddictX

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Yeah, since they can't test for knock or measure when timing advance gets you to MBT (mean best torque), there is no safe way for an e-tune to fiddle around with timing.

Several people much smarter than me have added to this thread, which has good info about Uprev Osiris tuning: https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/5188...ing-101-a.html
I actually read quite a bit of your thread. Making it was definitely a great idea. It is nice to read about how this stuff works. How successful have you been at tuning your car on your own?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Per dyno testing of my different maps, I picked up 10-15 hp between the base map and my tune. And tuning the MAF voltage table made a difference, but I don't have before and after dyno runs to confirm that part.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
XSpeedAddictX

Good results. I don't know if I would have the time to learn how to tune and then apply it. Also, I very rarely change anything on my car.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 PM
karletto66

An e-tune can only take into account getting your AFR right since it's only dealing with logs. Very good for keeping your car running properly after you've made changes that would affect your AFR. Also, you are going to "get back" the power lost because of poor AFRs after breather mods. There are also some advantages from adjusting AFR targets from OEM goals to maps based on your specific goals (improved gas mileage, improved performance, etc) - and improvements to throttle response, etc.

A dyno tune allows for changes to timing and other factors as well as AFR, so dyno tuning is always going to provide greater room for improvements in TQ and HP numbers than just an e-tune. Those factors cannot be safely adjusted with an e-tune, since you need a tuner and dyno to control and monitor rpm, load, knock, afr, timing, etc. all at the same time.

e-tune = moar safe
dyno tune = moar powah

That's not to say that you won't gain power from an e-tune. But you should ALWAYS get more from a dyno tune because there is more room for gains/improvements to be made.
E-tunes are not more safe. Usually you take afr from 11.2-11.5 (i speak about HR models, that in all logs i see) that are stock values and set about 12.5-12.8 or more. So less fuel.
More power but less safe for engine...

Dyno may be is best (???) but with logs you can control quite all things like afr/timings/cams and so on. IN THIS KIND OF CAR e-tunes are not so bad IMHO.
With a tuner direct experience for sure you have better result but NOT ONLY with dyno. You have to tune car in real streat also.
Let me know for examples: intake of HR need a lot of fresh air. In real usage more speed->more air. In Dyno ?
Or you have some forced ventilation or this is to take care, at high rpm/speed can do the difference.
About knock: uhm...difficult also in dyno to discover, also because Z does not care about it at high rpm. Usualy the change a little in timings, to avoid problems also for bad gasoline.
I see a lot of car in my life (NOT the Z to be correct!!!) with great dyno numbers but poor in "real" situation. Also take care about dyno numbers, can be manipulated.
Trust in no one !

As usual the MOST IMPORTANT thing is one : THE TUNER !

ONE IMPORTANT thing: i speak about "quite stock" cars, with not so heavy mods. Let me say intake, hfc and similar. If you made "race" Z or a FI car i think FOR SURE is better to go first for dyno ! Then for street test...
Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Let me clarify - I was talking about compared to untuned, e-tune is more safe for your engine than running mods with no tuning. Most people should get an e-tune to have their car running with proper AFR's after mods that will affect AFR. (In fact, I think that I said that above).

I was not saying that an e-tune is more safe than a dyno tune. That comes down to the tuner.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Skrilla

e-tune = moar safe
dyno tune = moar powah

This is probably the best statement here. The Etune will only tune based on your last map. Whereas the Dyno can have an adjustment to your first tune until they get it right.

anyway I'm currently in search of best AFR for NA application for my car if anybody can help