Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

HELP. Biffed my rear wheel into my sister's car. Now have MAD toe in the rear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 04:35 PM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default HELP. Biffed my rear wheel into my sister's car. Now have MAD toe in the rear.

Check out the picks, they say it all. Drivers rear is wayyyy toed in. I jacked it up and nothing is bent. Was sure something would be bent but it looks perfectly fine. Except the wheel is clearly not fine.

I was only going like 3 mph.

I'm thinking eccentric bolts are messed up but I couldn't tell. Also, the steering wheel is cocked to the right now. She still goes dead straight down the road but I can tell the handling is off.

In the pics you can see the drivers side has way more toe than the left. The bodywork just buffed out since that was just rubber from sister's car's tires.

Any guess as to what else could be bent or not right?

Old 10-31-2020, 07:01 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Not sure how you did this at 3 MPH. A few more details about how this shunt occurred may help us understand what happened. But first thing to do is pull and check the LR radius rod, as it usually takes the brunt of the impact in a lateral shunt to a wheel. Also check the wheel itself, as a good shot can bend the rim either inside or outside.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:26 PM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by dkmura
Not sure how you did this at 3 MPH. A few more details about how this shunt occurred may help us understand what happened. But first thing to do is pull and check the LR radius rod, as it usually takes the brunt of the impact in a lateral shunt to a wheel. Also check the wheel itself, as a good shot can bend the rim either inside or outside.
I was visiting my parents and backing out the driveway. My sister had parked her car in a wierd spot and I didn't see it. So I was backing up and my wheel hit her wheel and stopped the car dead. Is this the LR radius rod? I am hoping that circled stud didn't bend or something.

I was under the car when I got home and nothing seems bent or broken. It all actually looks perfectly fine. I drove home on the highway and even at 90 mph nothing was different except the steering wheel is cocked. Car will still go dead straight down the road with hands off the wheel.

Last edited by Bmsluite; 10-31-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:02 AM
Teddygrammin

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would take the wheel off and look. You could've just knocked the alignment out and it could be as simple as adjusting the toe back into spec. Look at the eccentric bolt to see if there's any movement. If not, then check all the arms, it would be a slight bend as it doesn't look way off.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:04 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by Teddygrammin
I would take the wheel off and look. You could've just knocked the alignment out and it could be as simple as adjusting the toe back into spec. Look at the eccentric bolt to see if there's any movement. If not, then check all the arms, it would be a slight bend as it doesn't look way off.
Alignment bolt still lines up with the mark my alignment guy always puts there. So I'm going to try to find the bent arm.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:36 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
I was visiting my parents and backing out the driveway. My sister had parked her car in a wierd spot and I didn't see it. So I was backing up and my wheel hit her wheel and stopped the car dead. Is this the LR radius rod? I am hoping that circled stud didn't bend or something.

I was under the car when I got home and nothing seems bent or broken. It all actually looks perfectly fine. I drove home on the highway and even at 90 mph nothing was different except the steering wheel is cocked. Car will still go dead straight down the road with hands off the wheel.
The LR radius rod is pictured (#21) between the circled areas in the diagram. It's got a double shear attachment on one end and a single attachment at the front. It's made from mild steel with welded ends and already has a slight bend in it. It's typically the weakest link in a lateral impact and will bend to prevent damage to the more expensive cast aluminum parts.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:13 AM
Bmsluite

The LR radius rod is pictured (#21) between the circled areas in the diagram. It's got a double shear attachment on one end and a single attachment at the front. It's made from mild steel with welded ends and already has a slight bend in it. It's typically the weakest link in a lateral impact and will bend to prevent damage to the more expensive cast aluminum parts.
Alright so I got in there and checked it out. That a is straight as an arrow. To me, everything looks perfectly fine. The wheels are both equally distant from the fenders so I don't think anything is bent. Unless the entire frame of the car bent. Is that even possible without bending something else? I would think the subframe would bend before anything else. Here's some pics.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:17 AM
Bmsluite

Old 11-01-2020, 08:45 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yep- that radius rod looks OK. But somethings not right and at this point, you're better off getting a good laser alignment. An experienced tech might be able figure out what was damaged via a hands-on inspection.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:28 AM
Bmsluite

Yep- that radius rod looks OK. But somethings not right and at this point, you're better off getting a good laser alignment. An experienced tech might be able figure out what was damaged via a hands-on inspection.
I have a really good mechanic. I'll be taking it to him on Tuesday. I'm going to slap on my A/S tires and rims for that too since I just found that wheel is bent.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:57 PM
Bmsluite

Issue resolved. My mechanic got it back into spec. Nothing was bent apparently but it was waaayyyy out of spec. I ordered a new wheel as I don't believe any wheel can actually be fixed good as new and be able to handle triple digit speeds safely. Thanks for the help as I was freaking out
Old 11-04-2020, 07:41 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Is that purple rod suppose to be straight? It's hella bent
Old 11-04-2020, 08:15 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Is that purple rod suppose to be straight? It's hella bent
No, it's not. That is the camber arm. They are supposed to be bent.
The following users liked this post:
iideadeyeii (11-04-2020)