Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New battery, new connections, drained once I turn it off

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 04:10 PM
350ZJena

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery, new connections, drained once I turn it off

I was told 2 weeks ago I need a new battery. There was corrosion and I went and had it tested at Autozone. They said mine was not putting out enough volts. I purchase a new battery. A week later I go out to my car, it will not start. I could not get in my trunk to retrieve my portable charger so Roadside came. The next day, would not start. It initially made the crank sound then died completely. I also notice the interior lights were flashing. I turned the lights out, disconnect my camera, my interior floor lights. I ended up jumping it that morning. It jumped immediately. It went out after 20min. It was off again. I jump it again and take it to the dealer. $325 dollars later and new connectors. It started up that following morning and afternoon. Got up this morning, dead again. As soon as it is turned off it goes completely dead. No lights, no nothing, Now I hear a sound that last about a minute and stops on both sides.. . I am so afraid of bad mechanics I hate taking it in but I have to. I am going to try and load the vidi sound. I am doing something wrong trying to

Last edited by 350ZJena; 06-23-2021 at 04:30 PM. Reason: trying to only load this one vidi
Old 06-24-2021, 09:16 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,096 Likes on 776 Posts

My first thoughts are... Do you have a multimeter to check the voltage of your battery? You mentioned some other accessories, is there a parasitic draw somewhere? Are the battery terminal connectors nice and tight making good contact?

That faint noise sounds like the a real weak horn when the alarm goes off.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:27 AM
Subd

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like your alternator,
Old 06-25-2021, 03:17 AM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Get the battery recharged. Start it up, remove the ground (negative) terminal off the battery with engine running, it'll have the alternator work over. If it dies, alternator is no good. If it lives, it's something else. You may have a draw from somewhere like the first comment says.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:51 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZJena
I was told 2 weeks ago I need a new battery. There was corrosion and I went and had it tested at Autozone. They said mine was not putting out enough volts. I purchase a new battery. A week later I go out to my car, it will not start. I could not get in my trunk to retrieve my portable charger so Roadside came. The next day, would not start. It initially made the crank sound then died completely. I also notice the interior lights were flashing. I turned the lights out, disconnect my camera, my interior floor lights. I ended up jumping it that morning. It jumped immediately. It went out after 20min. It was off again. I jump it again and take it to the dealer. $325 dollars later and new connectors. It started up that following morning and afternoon. Got up this morning, dead again. As soon as it is turned off it goes completely dead. No lights, no nothing, Now I hear a sound that last about a minute and stops on both sides.. . I am so afraid of bad mechanics I hate taking it in but I have to. I am going to try and load the vidi sound. I am doing something wrong trying to https://youtu.be/XFuUdp1RFAY

That video recording really sucked...

First things first if your battery is dead or disconnected their in a pull tab in the center of your rear factory strut bar that will pop the hatch open for you.

Next the sound is some random dead battery sound, your car has some issues that keep killing the battery, or the connections with the battery are not good.

Another point... Once jump started and running the car has a volt meter built-in... Look above your radio at those 3 big old gauges... The one on the right is a volt meter. If the car is running it should be between 13-14is... If it's not in that range you have an alternator issue. If it is your issues are elsewhere.

Next question.. do you have an auto starter? That sound seems like an auto starter attempting to work on a Dead battery.

Another step your new battery could be a dud... It's rare but it happens, have them check it at whatever place you got it from.

It's sad that the dealership didn't fix the issue after charging so much for battery terminals, I would call them and explain the situation. You would hope they would make it right.

Lots of things can cause electric issues and drain the battery even something stupid like your hatch light staying on would continuously kill the battery and give you your current situation.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:43 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts