Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Limp mode can’t solve

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 06:46 PM
Aiiz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode can’t solve

So I bought a 2008 350z and after a couple weeks it went into limp mode I’ve replaced the pedal with new sensor from z1 I’ve got a new ecu and a whole new engine wiring harness ran for a couple of days after and than started it let it warm up as I went to take off car went into limp mode. Can anyone help it’s been a huge headache and I replaced all the things I think you can I am getting code p2122 and p2138 I have no idea anymore what to do if you could please help.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:33 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

The two codes point to the throttle position switch...sounds like you just like throwing parts and money at it....carry on
Old 10-15-2021, 07:45 PM
Aiiz33

Originally Posted by travlee
The two codes point to the throttle position switch...sounds like you just like throwing parts and money at it....carry on
I already replaced the pedal with a new sensor from z1 the switch is the sensor correct ?
Old 10-16-2021, 05:53 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Aiiz33
I already replaced the pedal with a new sensor from z1 the switch is the sensor correct ?
Did you do the relearn or just install the part?

But before that, what promoted all the changes to the electricals? Everythimg is relative.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:07 PM
Aiiz33

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Did you do the relearn or just install the part?

But before that, what promoted all the changes to the electricals? Everythimg is relative.
Before I start I did do the relearn and even did the idle relearn. so I bought the car the guy sold it and said he was having a issue with the pedal for it fixed also sold with a tune couldn’t find a hookup and the ecu was locked. I got a new ecu car kept getting the code but never going to limp mode would just clear it and keep going than one day it just went into limp mode with slow acceleration. Took it to the shop they repairs some bad wires running from the ecu to the engine bay had to do with the pedal and throttle so it still kepted messing up bought a new pedal with the sensor worked for a couple of days than happen again took it to the shop and said it was a bad engine harness found a engine harness had it replaced and worked for a good week now it went into limp mode and took it back to the shop. The only thing I can think it is would be get new throttle bodies and change some fuse or rely on the ipdm because I feel that’s the only thing left I can do sorry for this being long.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:48 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Aiiz33
Before I start I did do the relearn and even did the idle relearn. so I bought the car the guy sold it and said he was having a issue with the pedal for it fixed also sold with a tune couldn’t find a hookup and the ecu was locked. I got a new ecu car kept getting the code but never going to limp mode would just clear it and keep going than one day it just went into limp mode with slow acceleration. Took it to the shop they repairs some bad wires running from the ecu to the engine bay had to do with the pedal and throttle so it still kepted messing up bought a new pedal with the sensor worked for a couple of days than happen again took it to the shop and said it was a bad engine harness found a engine harness had it replaced and worked for a good week now it went into limp mode and took it back to the shop. The only thing I can think it is would be get new throttle bodies and change some fuse or rely on the ipdm because I feel that’s the only thing left I can do sorry for this being long.
OK, good you did the relearn. Now, the ECM you got, is it the correct one for your model and trim level? For example, an automatic trans, TCS equipped, Enthusiast trim ECM may not work in a car equipped with 6MT, VDC, Touring trim. Careful to mate the PN of your ECU to your VIN. Go on NissanPartsDirect.com (just one site) and look up an ECM for your VIN. See what it comes back with and compare to the one you obtained.

The other thing is your grounding points. The ECM is very particular about this. Insufficient/corroded/bad cable ground and the ECM can throw a hissy fit. You may wish to trace your ground points as shown in the FSM for your year/model.

I highly doubt its the throttle bodies. No matter what you read, throttle bodies just don't give up the ghost that easily. You used plural so I assume you have an HR? Even if one of the throttle bodies went bad, the car would still run - albeit f'n poorly - with one throttle body. Doubt it would trigger limp mode. I could be wrong but my kid has an HR where one throttle body was sticky but it never triggered limp mode. Just ran like it had a tank of gas with poo in it.

If nothing you do fixes, I'd suggest you find a tech or dealer with Consult 3 and bite the bullet to have them diagnose further.

Last edited by MicVelo; 10-17-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:06 AM
Aiiz33

Originally Posted by MicVelo
OK, good you did the relearn. Now, the ECM you got, is it the correct one for your model and trim level? For example, an automatic trans, TCS equipped, Enthusiast trim ECM may not work in a car equipped with 6MT, VDC, Touring trim. Careful to mate the PN of your ECU to your VIN. Go on NissanPartsDirect.com (just one site) and look up an ECM for your VIN. See what it comes back with and compare to the one you obtained.

The other thing is your grounding points. The ECM is very particular about this. Insufficient/corroded/bad cable ground and the ECM can throw a hissy fit. You may wish to trace your ground points as shown in the FSM for your year/model.

I highly doubt its the throttle bodies. No matter what you read, throttle bodies just don't give up the ghost that easily. You used plural so I assume you have an HR? Even if one of the throttle bodies went bad, the car would still run - albeit f'n poorly - with one throttle body. Doubt it would trigger limp mode. I could be wrong but my kid has an HR where one throttle body was sticky but it never triggered limp mode. Just ran like it had a tank of gas with poo in it.

If nothing you do fixes, I'd suggest you find a tech or dealer with Consult 3 and bite the bullet to have them diagnose further.
thank you do you know any good shops to take a z to in San Diego area or have heard any good places?
Old 10-31-2021, 09:26 AM
stevenxx82

Default p2122 p2138

Im having the same issue with my 03 Z like ive literally replaced everything and still nothing. got 2 codes which are the same as yours.