Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Wanting to start my own tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 03:27 PM
TatsuyaToujou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to start my own tuning

Hi I wanted to ask y’all some of your opinions about personal tuning. I’ve seen threads about tuning but nothing was similar to what I wanted to do.

I wanted to start getting into tuning like making my own business and tune cars and such, so I’m using my 2004 350z as my first tuning platform. I get the idea that you should get it tuned by a professional but I’d like to start tuning my own.

Is there any suggestions on how I can start tuning my own car and hopefully build my knowledge about tuning weather it be mods, softwares, informational videos, or tools I would need aside from a dyno (in the future) it would really help!
Old 12-29-2021, 07:12 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,296 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The best recomendations I can tell you is to start small and start on your own car.

I would invest in High Performance Academy (HPAcademy.com) and do all their course work and then start make very small changes on your car and see how the engine reacts … dont make any changes above 3500rpm.

Here’s a good place to start:
https://www.hpacademy.com/courses/ba...ng-fuel-tuning

From there find a local tuning shop and ask the tuner / tuners if you can pay them to shadow them while they tune and be an assistant to them. I would not expect to be paid nor would I expect them to do it for free. You need to be an apprentice to them … buy them coffee and breakfast in the morning, buy them lunch in the afternoon, clean the shop, tuning room, dyno when they are not tuning.

You need to gain their trust and learn everything from them.

this is not a one or two week process … no one learns to tune, nor becomes a professional (dignified) tuner in less than five to ten years. There are too many things to mess-up and the cost of one failure can put you out of business.

Another route would be to start employement at a shop that does tuning … work on car and be around the tuning of cars…ask to help out and be part of the process. Volunteer to do the grunt work.

None of this will be fun and to be honest you are probably only seeing the fame & fortune of tuning and not the downside. Building and tuning cars can be very stressful and very hard work. When things go wrong it’s $1000s of dollars to fix.

Last edited by bealljk; 12-29-2021 at 07:20 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by bealljk:
DarkZ03 (12-30-2021), dkmura (12-29-2021), jhc (12-30-2021), mr. sparco (12-29-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 08:19 AM
TatsuyaToujou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
The best recomendations I can tell you is to start small and start on your own car.

I would invest in High Performance Academy (HPAcademy.com) and do all their course work and then start make very small changes on your car and see how the engine reacts … dont make any changes above 3500rpm.

Here’s a good place to start:
https://www.hpacademy.com/courses/ba...ng-fuel-tuning

From there find a local tuning shop and ask the tuner / tuners if you can pay them to shadow them while they tune and be an assistant to them. I would not expect to be paid nor would I expect them to do it for free. You need to be an apprentice to them … buy them coffee and breakfast in the morning, buy them lunch in the afternoon, clean the shop, tuning room, dyno when they are not tuning.

You need to gain their trust and learn everything from them.

this is not a one or two week process … no one learns to tune, nor becomes a professional (dignified) tuner in less than five to ten years. There are too many things to mess-up and the cost of one failure can put you out of business.

Another route would be to start employement at a shop that does tuning … work on car and be around the tuning of cars…ask to help out and be part of the process. Volunteer to do the grunt work.

None of this will be fun and to be honest you are probably only seeing the fame & fortune of tuning and not the downside. Building and tuning cars can be very stressful and very hard work. When things go wrong it’s $1000s of dollars to fix.
i really appreciate it, idc about the grunt work cause it’s something I’m really passionate about. I’ll take ur advice to consideration.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:42 AM
AxionZ

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Give this watch. This guy talks about the realities of the business.

The following users liked this post:
bealljk (12-30-2021)