Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Spider web cracks on brand new paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 09:08 PM
Arod_562

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Spider web cracks on brand new paint

I recently had my front bumper color matched/resprayed but of course today as i was driving home some Truck threw a pretty big sized rock at my front bumper and left a dent. I was able to push the dent out with a heat gun, its not 100% gone but definitely better than before but i noticed it left these barely visible cracks in the paint. You cant feel them with your hand but can only see them from a certain angle when the lights hits it.

You guys think these cracks can be wetsanded and buff/polished out??
Old 04-10-2022, 09:32 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Depends on how talented you are at detailing, you can make it less noticeable but usually you're effed if its cracked. Your body shop did not or did not put enough flex additive in the paint.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (04-12-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 11:04 PM
Arod_562

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Depends on how talented you are at detailing, you can make it less noticeable but usually you're effed if its cracked. Your body shop did not or did not put enough flex additive in the paint.
it was a pretty big sized rock and left a good sized dent but i was able to get most of it out so im honestly surprised it only cracked this much. The impact noise it made honestly scared me to death it felt like it went straight through my bumper lol. But I cant feel the crack but only see it from an angle with a flash light being bery upclose. But i think your right 😅 once it cracks even just slightly like that i dont think i can save it anymore from what ive been reading online cause im not really a detailer lol
Old 04-11-2022, 01:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Sorry to hear this, but flex additive will only go so far. When the painted surface itself is dented in as you describe, the paint is going to take some damage. Glad the rock didn't bounce up higher and take out your hood or windshield.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:37 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

If you can't feel the fractures/cracks in the paint with your fingernail, then they are most likely below the surface defects. Meaning it might be the color coat that cracked and not the clear coat (not sure how recent you had it painted, but auto paint takes many weeks to fully cure and should NOT be clear armored/waxed until then). Wet-sanding and polishing won't take those out if that's the case. The only proper repair would be to sand down to the bare material and start over. Sorry to hear the bad luck after getting your bumper freshly painted. It's a real shame. The only silver-lining here is that the cracks are not very noticeable and appear to be down low on the panel. As you say, you have to look at it just right with the reflection to see them. You can try asking the paint shop if they would be willing to help you out. I don't expect them to warranty the work based on the damage from the rock you described, but ya never know. They might take pity on you and re-blend that area.
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 04-11-2022, 10:03 PM
Arod_562

Originally Posted by icer5160
If you can't feel the fractures/cracks in the paint with your fingernail, then they are most likely below the surface defects. Meaning it might be the color coat that cracked and not the clear coat (not sure how recent you had it painted, but auto paint takes many weeks to fully cure and should NOT be clear armored/waxed until then). Wet-sanding and polishing won't take those out if that's the case. The only proper repair would be to sand down to the bare material and start over. Sorry to hear the bad luck after getting your bumper freshly painted. It's a real shame. The only silver-lining here is that the cracks are not very noticeable and appear to be down low on the panel. As you say, you have to look at it just right with the reflection to see them. You can try asking the paint shop if they would be willing to help you out. I don't expect them to warranty the work based on the damage from the rock you described, but ya never know. They might take pity on you and re-blend that area.
Cheers!
-Icer
Thats what i was afraid of but as long as its way at the bottom of the bumper honestly it dont bother me cause you really cant even see it lol but i did let this Bumper cure for like a month in my garage while taking it out in the sun everyday for about 20-30 min so i think i let it cure long enough i hope haha. Funny thing is ive only driven it one time to pick my brother up from work and had no choice but to drive the Z which is when this happened smh and i have a ppf film appointment next week too 😭

Like you cant see the cracks at all with the sun shining on it or with a light pointing at it. Only visible while up really close with a flashlight at a downward angle. Can only see the little impression from the dent that i took put most of (looked way worse before) But ima just live with it haha, You guys think ppf film will help with the crack spreading or maybe hide it a little 😅😂

Old 04-12-2022, 04:15 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

All depends on the luster of the film. Most are dull, trying to seem invisible, so win.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:02 PM
riteonjon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your foggy headlights are of more concern to me than those cracks. Polish the ish
mr. sparco (04-13-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 02:57 PM
Arod_562

Originally Posted by riteonjon
Your foggy headlights are of more concern to me than those cracks. Polish the ish
Yeah i was supposed to give them a nice polish before i put my bumper back on to make it easier but i just forgot too 😂 i will soon tho haha
riteonjon (04-13-2022)