Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small dent front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:53 AM
gebster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small dent front bumper

When parking I hit the bottom of a small ladder. It put a small dent in the lower part of the bumper. You can feel it. It has small cracks in the paint in the area where the dent is. Will the area keep cracking and the paint keep peeling?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:00 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Not likely as its plastic.....not like metal where atmosphere gets under it and corrosion starts to eat away........

I have tons of dents and spider web cracks on my front bumper - but from drifting damage - dammn cones........

Have you tried pushing out the dent from the inside of the bumper/lip or where ever its at?
-J
Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gebster
When parking I hit the bottom of a small ladder. It put a small dent in the lower part of the bumper. You can feel it. It has small cracks in the paint in the area where the dent is. Will the area keep cracking and the paint keep peeling?

No, it will not.

Your bumpers are coated and painted with a material mixed in the paint ( "flex additive") that allows the paint to "bend and flex" with any dents that may be caused by a collision, with minimal cracking. This paint is not the same as the paint that is on your metal body parts, so it will not chip and crack like when you see damage to say, the front fender.

You'll notice your bumbers are a slighty different shade of color than your metal parts....this is bc of the "flex" material in the paint.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
Not likely as its plastic.....not like metal where atmosphere gets under it and corrosion starts to eat away........

I have tons of dents and spider web cracks on my front bumper - but from drifting damage - dammn cones........

Have you tried pushing out the dent from the inside of the bumper/lip or where ever its at?
-J
Pff... learn to drive/drift!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
No, it will not.

Your bumpers are coated and painted with a material mixed in the paint ( "flex additive") that allows the paint to "bend and flex" with any dents that may be caused by a collision, with minimal cracking. This paint is not the same as the paint that is on your metal body parts, so it will not chip and crack like when you see damage to say, the front fender.

You'll notice your bumbers are a slighty different shade of color than your metal parts....this is bc of the "flex" material in the paint.
It's actually in large part because the same paint does not look the same on plastic-type materials as it does on metal.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^ I was a beginner once...........heck i still am, but now i can stay sidewayzzzzz between the lines now.........

-J
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
It's actually in large part because the same paint does not look the same on plastic-type materials as it does on metal.

This is true, however the addative does change the color slightly as well. This is more noticable on silver colors such as the CS.