2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

key fob is working intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 06:11 PM
DonBidon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key fob is working intermittently

Hi guys.

I've encountered the following issue with my 05 Z, all buttons on my key fob work intermittently.

The car was parked for a 1.5 month. Once I came back the remote worked fine. After a short drive I attempted to lock it but the lock button on the key fob wasn't working. Same as unlock, trunk release and panic alarm buttons. That day I lock the car with the key and walked away. Next morning the key fob successfully unlocked the car but again after a short ride I couldn't lock it with the fob. So as the description states, it's working but not all the time.

So far I had replaced the battery in my OEM key fob, bought a new set of key fob from amazon, tried and successfully reprogramed keys, changed the keyless receiver module that I got from the junk yard (the one on the passenger side, in front of the heater core), changed the burned license plate bulb on the passengers side, disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, tested fuses using multimeter, checked all of the connections going to BCM and remote keyless receiver module. Nothing helped to fix the issue.

From my observations, whenever i put the key fob close to the location of the BCM it's working like a charm. Then I get out of the car, keep pressing the buttons, it works, then once I move to the rear side of the car and stay right in the middle where the rear license plate is, the fob stops working.

I'm guessing it should be some issue with some sort of receiver antenna, but which one? The keyless entry receiver module was replaced already ad I don't think that BCM has a receiver antenna.

If you know any other solution that might help me to deal with this issue please share it. I really don't know where else to look for a solution/hint since I've been searching online for the past 4 days but all of the suggestions been made doesn't work for my case.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:50 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,310 Likes on 909 Posts

Pull codes from the BCM to see if any are being held in memory.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:58 PM
DonBidon

Originally Posted by dkmura
Pull codes from the BCM to see if any are being held in memory.
No codes. Tried to look for them a few times at different days, nothing.

One thing regarding the codes is that one day before starting the car I left the key in ON position and CEL started to flash before I started the car which is the indication of some error code, but after that I plugged the reader and it didn’t show anything. Maybe it was something related to the TPMS sensor as one of 3 is not pairing with the car (probably the battery is dead)
Old 06-29-2022, 06:02 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,310 Likes on 909 Posts

What kind of code reader are you using? Not all of them will read the BSM or ABS codes.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:54 PM
DonBidon

I use the one that connects with the phone by WiFi and Car Scanner app to read the codes. A few years ago when I had some stored code it was able to successfully pull them up.

Today another thing happened, I was on my way to the car, about 10 ft away when i started to push unlock button. Once I got to the car and start driving I've immediately noticed that trunk was open. I definitely didn't pressed the trunk button, nor did I opened it before. The only thing I was doing is kept clicking the unlock button before I opened the door. Looks like the bcm is malfunctioning... it's getting the signal and mixes it up somehow and opens the trunk. I still can't find an answer why this problem started after I haven't been touching the car for 1.5 month, maybe something happened to the car battery? That's weird but the battery has enough voltage 13.9-14.1v when driving and 12.2v when the car is off.