Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

7 days... 3000 miles... Mardi Gras... the Z...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 07:16 AM
03 Z for ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 7 days... 3000 miles... Mardi Gras... the Z...

For all of you who didn't know... I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras. I just got back a few hours ago. The trip was EXCELLENT!

I live in Eastern PA and took a road trip throughout the entire SouthEast US. From a little bit North of Philly, I drove to Charleston, South Carolina, to Jacksonville, Florida, to Orlando, Florida, over to Mobile, Alabama, to New Orleans, Louisanna, to Birmingham, Alabama, to Knoxville, Tennessee, to Bristol, Tennessee, to Harrisburg, PA, finally back home...

The Weather when I left PA was 42 degrees. It got to a high in Florida of 82. On the way back home I was actually racing a snow storm through Tennessee. ( I think it's snowing there now...) I am SOOO glad I got in front of the storm and never looked back.

Total distance was 2987 miles. The Z was WONDERFUL about 99 percent of the time. The ONLY scary time I had was coming though Alabama in a MAJOR down pour. (I have 18000 miles on my still stock rear RE040's.) I had to slow to 50mph to keep from hydro planing.) I am going to order some new S03's ASAP...

WIth the mods listed below, I averaged 26.7 miles per gallon with an average speed of 64 mile per hour.

I spent some time driving through all the cities listed as well as cruising on the highways. The most fun part of the drive was the section of South Carolina where a Saleen Mustang pulled up along side of me, gave me a thumbs up, then stomped it. We managed to run together through light traffic through a LOT of South Carolina at 101 + mph...

One thing I was worried about before leaving for my trip, was my INJEN CAI. I was concerned about the possibility of water and heavy down pours. Let me tell you... It was NOT a problem. IT rained so damn hard I couldn't see 5 feet in frony of the Z and I never had ANY issues with water and the CAI.

Along with all the fun in New Orleans and some of the many "Interesting" things I saw... I received MANY thumbs up, compliments, and stares at the Z. I only saw a total of 5 other Z's in the entire 3000 miles.

Over the course of the 3000 miles, I seemed to notice that my Kinetix cats have a SLIGHT vibration, ONLY when mashing the gas, on CONCRETE, from 4500 - 5500 RPM. (It does NOT happen on blacktop... Hmmm)

I also have a slight "Buzz" from somewhere in my interior, but only on the "rough" blacktop surfaces, and only at RPMs over 4500. Over all, the Z performed Flawlessly except for the little scare in the downpour.

I could drive for more than 10 hours at a time without the need to get out and stretch. The cabin was comfortable and the heating and cooling kept everything comfortable. I even managed to take a 3 hour power nap in the Z at a rest stop. (I am 6'3" 195 lbs... you CAN nap in the Z if you are tired enough.) My Clarion MP3 head unit was a GREAT feature. Before I left I burned a few CDs onto MP3 discs. (10 CDs fit on ONE MP3 disc.) I only changed CDs 3 or 4 times the entire trip. No need for a CD changer if you have an MP3 deck!

It's now time to wash and wax the baby again. She's quite dirty and has a pile of brake dust on the rims.

*** Edited for spelling. (I probably still missed a few words...)***

Last edited by 03 Z for ME; 02-26-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Conceyted

Default Re: 7 days... 3000 miles... Mardi Gras... the Z...

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
For all of you who didn't know... I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras. I just got back a few hours ago. The trip was EXCELLENT!

I live in Eastern PA and took a road trip throughout the entire SouthEast US. From a little bit North of Philly, I drove to Charleston, South Carolina, to Jacksonville, Florida, to ORlando, FLorida, over to Mobile, Alabama, to New ORleans, Louisanna, to Birmingham, ALabama, to Knoxville, Tennessee, to Bristol, Tennessee, to Harrisburg, PA, finally back home...

The Weather when I left PA was 42 degrees. It got to a high in Florida of 82. On the way back home I was actually racing a snow storm through Tennessee. ( I think it's snowing there now...) I am SOOO glad I got in front of the storm and never looked back.

Total distance was 2987 miles. The Z was WONDERFUL about 99 percent of the time. THe ONLY scary time I had was coming though Alabama in a MAJOR down pour. (I have 18000 miles on my still stock rear RE040's.) I had to slow to 50mph to keep from hydro planing.) I am going to order some new S03's ASAP...

WIth the mods listed below, I averaged 26.7 miles per gallon with an average speed of 64 mile per hour.

I spent some time driving through all the cities listed as well as cruising on the highways. The most fun part of the drive was the section of South Carolina where a Saleen Mustang pulled up along side of me, gave me a thumbs up, then stomped it. WE managed to run together through light traffic through a LOT of South Carolina at 101 + mph...

One thing I was worried about before leaving for my trip, was my INJEN CAI. I was concerned about the possibility of water and heavy down pours. Let me tell you... It was NOT a problem. IT rained so damn hard I couldn't see 5 feet in frony of the Z and I never had ANY issues with water and the CAI.

ALong with all the fun in New Orleans and some of the many "Interesting" things I saw... I received MANY thumbs up, compliments, and stares at the Z. I only saw a total of 5 other Z's in the entire 3000 miles.

Over the course of the 3000 miles, I seemed to notice that my Kinetix cats have a SLIGHT vibration, ONLY when mashing the gas, on CONCRETE, from 4500 - 5500 PRM. (It does NOT happen on blacktop... Hmmm)

I also have a slight "Buzz" from somewhere in my interior, but only on the "rough" blacktop surfaces, and only at RPMs over 4500. Over all, the Z performed Flawlessly except for the little scare in the downpour.

It's now time to wash and wax the baby again. She's quite dirty and has a pile of brake dust on the rims.
Glad you had a fun mardi gras... the locals had a shitty one! Rain all the time! DIE MOTHER NATURE!
Old 02-26-2004, 07:25 AM
03 Z for ME

I didn't mind the rain. Fat Tuesday was actually pretty nice. None fo the parades were cancelled. (They did move them up a few hours due to the threatening skies.)

People on Bourbon Street got a little wet, but with all the alcohol that was flowing around the town, I really think some of them didn't even know it was raining.

Now that I finally did Mardi Gras, next year will be either Bike Week in Daytona, or Spring Break in Panama City...
Old 02-26-2004, 07:33 AM
350zluvr

Sounds really cool!

Man, hundreds of miles of road, music, the Z, and you of course - could it get any better? Did you go by yourself or did you take someone along with you?

Any pictures of beads or ***** or even better just *****???
Old 02-26-2004, 07:37 AM
03 Z for ME

Originally posted by 350zluvr
Sounds really cool!

Man, hundreds of miles of road, music, the Z, and you of course - could it get any better? Did you go by yourself or did you take someone along with you?

Any pictures of beads or ***** or even better just *****???

I have about 250 photos. (Not sure how many actually turned out well yet, though.) I can't post them on this board though.

I actually went by myself. I work for T-Mobile in the network operations center. I talk to people in all the above mentioned cities on a daily basis. I stopped by and visited them in person on the trip.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:05 AM
Conceyted

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
I have about 250 photos. (Not sure how many actually turned out well yet, though.) I can't post them on this board though.

I actually went by myself. I work for T-Mobile in the network operations center. I talk to people in all the above mentioned cities on a daily basis. I stopped by and visited them in person on the trip.
If you want i will host them all... contact me by AIM (Conceyted) and you could send me them all zipped. I could even archive them if i get time..
Old 02-26-2004, 08:10 AM
maximumsport

Any bad rock chips?

I live in Orlando and one weekend I drove to miami only 2 hours, now I have tons of chips!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Z-INCOGNITO

Pictures???
Old 02-26-2004, 09:33 AM
Dissident

post the pics on imagestation.com (free to register-no limit) and post us the link I'm jealous, I went to the Gaslamp Mardis Gras in San Diego and it was lame as usual. :P
Old 02-27-2004, 08:20 AM
03 Z for ME

Originally posted by dave079
Where did you wind up staying? I know I had talked to you a few weeks ago about it. Did you park Z around the Quarter or did you walk or take a cab? It was a pretty nasty week here, but glad you had fun.
I stayed at the Hilton Riverside. I parked the Z in the Hilton's parking garage and didn't move it for a few days. I walked everywhere in New Orleans.

I'm working on the pictures. I have a LOT, but a bunch didn't turn out. Quite a few of the attempts at pictures were simply "quick point and click over the crowd" and hope you get something good in the viewfinder. I did get a bunch of NICE photos though. I'm working on cropping them, lighning some of them up, zooming in on some, and simply deleting the crap ones.

I'll post them somewhere sometime soon.