Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Z came in on friday, but it will be going home with someone else...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 07:40 PM
c350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Z came in on friday, but it will be going home with someone else...

I stopped by dealer thursday to check the status on my car. I preordered on 5/31. Never got a tracking number, or vin. My salesman said it would be in on Oct 31. So I went by the dealership thursday to see what they would give me on my trade because I've been trying to sell it on my own and no one has called. I am worried my car will be here and I won't have sold my current car. If I trade I will take a $3000 loss. I don't want to do that. The general salesmanger says don't worry your car won't be here till nov. 10 because we haven't gotten an invoice yet and when we do it noramlly arrives 14 days later.

So I leave feeling pretty good. I have about 12-22days to sell my car. The very next day, this Friday I list it in the paper and online again for a steal of a deal. It will run starting sunday. Friday at 4:30pm the sales manger calls and says your car is being unloaded. I panic I haven't sold my car, it will go back in the paper Sunday. I rush home to work my numbers to see if I can afford to trade it in. I call the dealer back and say I will take a $1000 loss on my trade if they'll come $2000. He says no. I have till close of business monday to sell my car on my own or trade it in and take a $3000 loss or buy the Z outright and try and sell my other car after I get the Z.

Well its sunday night and I parked my car at the busiest place in town all weekend, it was listed in the classifieds of 4 counties and online. Not one phone call. I have till 5pm tomorrow to sell it or trade or they will sell my Z to someelse for a huge markup.

I can't afford to take a $3000 loss, I don't want to buy the Z and then be stuck with three car notes(my wifes car also) hoping my other car sells. So I am going to have to give up my preorder.

What a sad day.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:48 PM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out for you. What jerks they are at the dealership, giving you NO notice. I'd be freakin' PISSED...
Old 10-20-2002, 07:52 PM
g35cDude

If you can afford it, take delivery of the car and try to sell your present car within the week. Try to price it 2k above what the dealer was willing to give. If all else fails, you can sell the present car at what the dealer offered u and you become desperate.

Hope thiings work out for you and your new Z.

Old 10-20-2002, 07:53 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

PUT ON THE STALL MAN! Just because your car came in today doesn't mean you HAVE to take it tomorrow does it? Mine came in and I was out of town and I picked it up 4 days later. Stall for as long as you can until you pick up the car.

Also, remember that once you pick up your car, you won't have to make your first payment on it for at least a month. That'll give you more time to sell your car.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-20-2002, 07:54 PM
c350z

Default zgirl

I was major pissed. I was just there the day before. I waited so long and then its here. I would have taken the $3000 loss but my wife has more sense than I do and helped me realize that it would not be finacially wise. I am hoping for that magic phone call that someone wants to buy my car tomorrow before I have to call the dealership and kiss my Z goodbye.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:58 PM
c350z

Default Dr. Bonz

I tried the stall but they said the contract I signed said that I must take delivary of the car with in 72hours or the dealer gets to sell it to anyone they want. I am trying to work every angle to get this car but I don't want to get stuck with my current car and then end up taking the loss anyway.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:05 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Have you tried carmax, if there is one in your area they usually offer KBB tradein value for the car, and if in excellent condition a little over. They offered me 500 over kelly blue book trade in value.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:13 PM
c350z

Default westpak

I went to car max on Friday they offered me $400 less then the dealer. I was hoping they would do what you said so I could use that to get the dealer to beat their offer. Well the dealer beat without even trying because carmax was trying to rip me off.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:33 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know your financial situation, BUT.....

I am also worried that my dealer MIGHT try to screw me on my trade in value, so....

I received a promo on a credit card I have of 0% interest thru February statement. I called the included phone #, found they would transfer the money to my checking account in 3 to 5 days, for only $30.00!! I did it last Friday.......about 10 hours before receiving my VIN.

To round off #'s, $10,000 for 4 months for $30.00. $15.00 min monthly payment. Plenty of time to sell my current car.

Possible downside......might change interest rate on new loan, as a credit check might show the $10k loan, but I have a PeopleFirst check in hand.

Hope I covered my ***, hope this helps your options.....

GOOD LUCK
Old 10-20-2002, 08:42 PM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default Re: My Z came in on friday, but it will be going home with someone else...

Originally posted by c350z
I stopped by dealer thursday to check the status on my car. I preordered on 5/31. Never got a tracking number, or vin. My salesman said it would be in on Oct 31. So I went by the dealership thursday to see what they would give me on my trade because I've been trying to sell it on my own and no one has called. I am worried my car will be here and I won't have sold my current car. If I trade I will take a $3000 loss. I don't want to do that. The general salesmanger says don't worry your car won't be here till nov. 10 because we haven't gotten an invoice yet and when we do it noramlly arrives 14 days later.

So I leave feeling pretty good. I have about 12-22days to sell my car. The very next day, this Friday I list it in the paper and online again for a steal of a deal. It will run starting sunday. Friday at 4:30pm the sales manger calls and says your car is being unloaded. I panic I haven't sold my car, it will go back in the paper Sunday. I rush home to work my numbers to see if I can afford to trade it in. I call the dealer back and say I will take a $1000 loss on my trade if they'll come $2000. He says no. I have till close of business monday to sell my car on my own or trade it in and take a $3000 loss or buy the Z outright and try and sell my other car after I get the Z.

Well its sunday night and I parked my car at the busiest place in town all weekend, it was listed in the classifieds of 4 counties and online. Not one phone call. I have till 5pm tomorrow to sell it or trade or they will sell my Z to someelse for a huge markup.

I can't afford to take a $3000 loss, I don't want to buy the Z and then be stuck with three car notes(my wifes car also) hoping my other car sells. So I am going to have to give up my preorder.

What a sad day.
Buy your car, if you use the nissan financing you can wait 90 days before you have to pay your first payment...then you have 90 more days to sell your car. You would have to wait forever to get another Z.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:13 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I agree with EnthuZ: pick your favorite offer from one of your credit cards giving you low (or zero) interest for X amount of time. I had one that was 3.9% until paid off (unlimited time) but eventually went with 0% for a year and used that to pay $16000 on my Z. That cash will tide you over until you sell your car. I get several offers like this in the mail every day, both from my own credit cards and from other companies wanting to give me a new card. Just check your mailbox!
Old 10-21-2002, 07:08 AM
Mike821

No offence but maybe the fact that you didn't receive a single phone call after all this time means that you're asking too much for that car? What year/model?
Old 10-21-2002, 09:03 AM
anthony

Smithtown Nissan in NY told me to take whatever time I needed to sell my BMW. They hoped it would not be more then 60 Days!

I could not wait, took a few thousand dollar loose and traded it in.

Your dealership should be able to wait a few weeks.

Order it from Smithtown and have it shipped to you.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:13 AM
Cazzz Z

Default Maybe I lucked up..

I was going thru almost the same thing.. I was trying to make room for my Z, I had a 93 240SX convertible that was sitting in the backyard collecting dust. It drives good, looks good, & was ready for someone to enjoy it. I had been saying that I was gonna sell it, but had put no effort into it.. I put it in our Recycler.com paper with a photo and on cars.com for $6800.00. It had $112K miles on it with 17 inch rims & tires on, CD changer & subwoofer, amps , Alpine alarm on it & the works. Turns out that I only got 1 call on it, the couple liked it, but weren't trying to go that much on my car. They said $5000.00, I said $6800.00. They noticed that it had a hairline crack in the radiator, & needed tires.

Now this was the dilemma, I could put new tires on the car for about $250.00-$300.00, get the radiator fixed for about another $250.00, & then try to get the $6800.00 outta the couple, or put that $500.00 or more into the car & wait for another call to come in, (which I received no more calls on the car) . We agreed on $5300.00 for the car & I took my rims & tires offa the car & put the brand new stock rims & tires on the the car. So now I can try to sell the old rims & tires for like another $500.00.

Thats how I did mine & my car just so happen to come in like a week & a half later

WHat a blessing.
Attached Thumbnails My Z came in on friday, but it will be going home with someone else...-my240sx2sml.jpg  
Old 10-21-2002, 09:17 AM
Cazzz Z

Default Hey, Y don't U try This

GO leave them some more money on your car, tell them U need a little more time, but U are gonna buy it, & they can have your car on display & give you another few weeks to pick it up.. Most Nissan Dealers need a 350 Z on their floor at least so people can see what one looks like even if they have a SOLD sign on it. That way you can have more time to get your car off or take the loss.

That should stall.. Thats what I would do.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:50 PM
alex100

feh,

I bought my honda insight back in february.... for 20,000.00 (i really had no clue about the nissan 350z then.) 2 months ago i tried to trade it in.. they tried to tell me the car was worth 10,000.00 to them.... when it booked at 17,700.00 low invoice.. and 18,900.00 retail.... all i wanted was 15 for it.. they said no. so i went to another dealer and they sold me a Z for MSRP. and i sold my car by myself for 15,900.00

they tried to tell me that it wasn't worth anything... hmm....makes ya wonder. i bought the insight from vegas, because the dealer that i live near is honda/nissan i tried to go through them but they wouldnt budge on their 23,000.00 price tag. COMPLETLY NUTS

anyway... I CAN'T WAIT! by the way.. I hope you get your Z!
Old 10-21-2002, 02:02 PM
ToddLuc

Default Re: zgirl

Originally posted by c350z
I was major pissed. I was just there the day before. I waited so long and then its here. I would have taken the $3000 loss but my wife has more sense than I do and helped me realize that it would not be finacially wise. I am hoping for that magic phone call that someone wants to buy my car tomorrow before I have to call the dealership and kiss my Z goodbye.
If you trade it in, is the loss really that high? Let me explain...

You say you will lose $3000. Have you figured the tax you will save by trading in a car? I don't know your facts, so let me ballpark my example: 350Z - $34000, trade - $20000. At 9% sales tax savings for the trade balance, you will save $1800 by trading in. Now you are only upside down $1200. (in most, not all, states, you take your price tag minus trade value, then tax only that amount)

I know these are ballpark numbers, but the point is to help you understand trade-in's have value.

Your car may be only worth $3000 and your tax rate may be 0%, I know.

Another angle...

Can you afford a few car payments on your existing car? If so, then take the time you need to sell it outright. Have three notes for a few months.

Just trying to help,
Todd
Old 10-21-2002, 02:23 PM
c350z

Default Its official

I called and tried every stall tatic possible, I even said it was in their best intrest to work with me because I could buy the car and sell iy myself and make over msrp. Besides while I'm selling my car they would get a Z on their showroom for a few weeks.

I listed my car for KBB private party price and I did take into effect the tax break. I even asked them to come up on the trade and that I would take a $1500 hit. They said no. They said I signed a contract that I would take delivary within 72 hours. So at 5pm tonight they wrote a check to me refunding my full deposit and said they'll call me when they get the non preorder Z's in to see of I sold my car by then.

I really want the car but throwing away money isn't wise to me. I will be patient and wait and when the convertibles come out I am sure some of my fellow owners will want to part with their hard top Z's for a ragtop and will not want to trade into a dealer.

Just stinks being so close, and watching it pass me by. Oh well good things come to those who wait and I waited since the 1996 for them to bring the Z back and 5 months for my preorder, whats another 5 or 6 months to get what I want for the price I am willing to pay.

Thanks everybody for your advice. I hope you enjoy your Z's. And soon I will to.