Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Actual High Oil Pressure Help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 02:54 PM
ahleeyabeth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actual High Oil Pressure Help?

Recently purchased a 2008 350Z with unknown history, and with ~106k miles.

Has a timing cover leak along with a seep at the valve cover gaskets.

I am not sure if the high oil pressure was present previous as it was trailered home after purchase.

Changed the oil as I was going to let it seep till I could fully get in there and tear it apart.

Changed the oil with 4 quarts of Castrol GTX high mileage synthetic blend 5w30 and a quart of lucas high mileage oil stabilizer.

At start up after sitting in a pleasantly warm garage 24/7, psi is at about 90.

After letting it get to operating temperature only while idling it sits at around 35 psi.

Reving the engine after reaching operating temperature to 3k rpm’s it sits at roughly 110psi.

Manually pressure tested the system reads the same as on the gauge in the vehicle.

The oil level is between the dots on the dipstick so no it is not overfull, even drained roughly a quarter of a quart, no change.

Changed the filter from a K&N (done with the oil change) to a OE filter, no change.

Changed the oil sending unit with an OE, still no change.

The engine looks pretty clean in the areas I can look and shine a flashlight in and the oil I drained out of it I put through an automotive paint filter and it wasn’t chunky or metallic or too sludgy.

Unless this is normal which everyone seems to have mixed information on what psi is “normal”, I’m at a loss.

Any help?

Last edited by ahleeyabeth; 11-19-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Couple things to consider since you’ve already changed the pressure sending unit (usually the cause of erroneously high pressure readings).

2nd most common cause for high oil readings: gauge itself is clogged/bad

Another possibility: oil gallery gaskets blown - a fairly common VQ35HR malady BUT, this issue usually results in LOW PRESSURE so I doubt this is your issue.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:10 PM
ahleeyabeth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Couple things to consider since you’ve already changed the pressure sending unit (usually the cause of erroneously high pressure readings).

2nd most common cause for high oil readings: gauge itself is clogged/bad

Another possibility: oil gallery gaskets blown - a fairly common VQ35HR malady BUT, this issue usually results in LOW PRESSURE so I doubt this is your issue.

Good luck.
Sadly, I have manually tested the pressure with a gauge that threads into where the oil sender threads into and it reads the same as what’s displayed on the gauge inside the vehicle.

I know i’m going to be cracking into the front timing cover to re-seal it and I want to replace the gallery gaskets even if they look okay as a precaution and maybe even timing components while i’m in there but really wanted to sort out the high oil pressure before I put quite a bit of time and money into the thing.

The last thing I would want is to put it all back together then blow it up with the skyrocketing oil pressure and have to put out outrageous funds for an engine.

Thank you for the quick response though!
Old 11-20-2022, 08:32 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,296 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I have relatively high oil pressure too … I have a few factors that probably influence it but I dont necessarily freak out about it.

I’m usually linearlly up to 100psi to 120psi at redline (when the engine is warm) and at start-up I am like 50 psi to 60psi for the first minute or so.

Is there reason to be worried about slightly higher oil pressure?

Friends also question it as well - I dont know??
Old 11-20-2022, 05:52 PM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ahleeyabeth
Recently purchased a 2008 350Z with unknown history, and with ~106k miles.

Has a timing cover leak along with a seep at the valve cover gaskets.

I am not sure if the high oil pressure was present previous as it was trailered home after purchase.

Changed the oil as I was going to let it seep till I could fully get in there and tear it apart.

Changed the oil with 4 quarts of Castrol GTX high mileage synthetic blend 5w30 and a quart of lucas high mileage oil stabilizer.

At start up after sitting in a pleasantly warm garage 24/7, psi is at about 90.

After letting it get to operating temperature only while idling it sits at around 35 psi.

Reving the engine after reaching operating temperature to 3k rpm’s it sits at roughly 110psi.

Manually pressure tested the system reads the same as on the gauge in the vehicle.

The oil level is between the dots on the dipstick so no it is not overfull, even drained roughly a quarter of a quart, no change.

Changed the filter from a K&N (done with the oil change) to a OE filter, no change.

Changed the oil sending unit with an OE, still no change.

The engine looks pretty clean in the areas I can look and shine a flashlight in and the oil I drained out of it I put through an automotive paint filter and it wasn’t chunky or metallic or too sludgy.

Unless this is normal which everyone seems to have mixed information on what psi is “normal”, I’m at a loss.

Any help?
How long are you letting it warm up. At idle, it would take about 30 minutes to get the oil to temp. Driving, it takes me about 18 minutes before I reach 170 degree oil temp.
The following users liked this post:
icer5160 (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 02:41 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

As GreyZ stated, these engines take a while to fully warm up the oil. Idling for a short 5-10min won't cut it. It takes about 15minutes of solid driving on the freeway before I see the oil at full operating temp, once there it should idle at around 25-30psi and not exceed 90psi at 3k RPM (if my memory serves).

Does the Lucas stabilizer impact the viscosity at all? These engines are equipped with VVT, so I would be cautious about additives that could impact the flow-rate of the oil. I personally prefer BG products and I like/trust their MOA additive.
Cheers!
-Icer