Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nismo S Tune/OEM Nismo suspension comparison question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 11:25 PM
Chevellis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo S Tune/OEM Nismo suspension comparison question.

I just purchased a 2008 Nismo Z. The car has aftermarket coilovers but I’d like get it back closer to stock spec. The seller is including the OEM Nismo suspension components. I’ve read tons of threads on the stock suspension and also the S tune suspension, but couldn’t really find which people prefer? I know the S tune has a lower drop, and is considered an upgrade over a non Nismo Z33, but was the S Tune also considered an upgrade over the OEM Nismo components as well?

Any input would be appreciated. I did throughly try to use the search function.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:33 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevellis
I just purchased a 2008 Nismo Z. The car has aftermarket coilovers but I’d like get it back closer to stock spec. The seller is including the OEM Nismo suspension components. I’ve read tons of threads on the stock suspension and also the S tune suspension, but couldn’t really find which people prefer? I know the S tune has a lower drop, and is considered an upgrade over a non Nismo Z33, but was the S Tune also considered an upgrade over the OEM Nismo components as well?

Any input would be appreciated. I did throughly try to use the search function.
First off, there aren't that many Zs out there on S-Tune suspension in which to compare. After seeing what it cost (back in the early 2000s) it was easier for most to drop/stiffen the car through the aftermarket. I have driven a car on real S-Tune (shocks/springs with aftermarket bars) and have my own '08 Niz (and others on varying grades of suspension) in which to compare. The S-Tune IS lower by some 20-25mm, maybe. It is a fair bit firmer than stock Nismo but honestly (and maybe it's just my age in the six decade range), I prefer the stock Nismo suspension for the better ride quality and BEST suspension offered stock from Nissan. Big fan of both Z33 and Z34 Nismo OE suspension.

For that reason, since you have the OE set up, try installing that first IF and only IF, the shocks have less than 50k on them. As good as the Tokico sourced Nismo units are, they still have a life to them. You may really like them given how you wish to trade out everyone's "ultimate solution" coilovers. (Personally, do not find any need for coilovers on a street driven car.)

As an alternate, if you aren't concerned with the car being lowered, consider a set of Bilstein B6 shocks with the stock Nismo springs. Very controlled ride, slightly firmer than stock, not jarring. If that's not enough shock/spring for you, you can always swap springs for your choice of lowering springs, Eibach, Tein, whatever, at a future date.

The key with suspension is to build for your purpose. For a street driven car, the stock Nismo suspension is excellent for a trained driver who can push that suspension to 80%. Any track applications can start on the OE suspension for familiarization and THEN move to a more adjustable setup later on.

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-22-2023 at 07:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (09-12-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 02:07 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Never been in a Nismo, but I have owned the S-tune for about 8 years and I love it!
Better than stock, if you like a firmer, controlled ride without coilovers it's THE only way to go IMO.
I've also been in a B6 equipped car on stock springs and thought it was too soft for a sports car.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:15 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
As an alternate, if you aren't concerned with the car being lowered, consider a set of Bilstein B6 shocks with the stock Nismo springs. Very controlled ride, slightly firmer than stock, not jarring. If that's not enough shock/spring for you, you can always swap springs for your choice of lowering springs, Eibach, Tein, whatever, at a future date.
I just recently chose this route/option for my 06 Enthusiast. Running Bilstein B6s with OEM Nismo Coils. Excellent combination for what I wanted. Firmer ride, but stock ride height. The roads here in the SF Bay area aren't well groomed. Tons of pot holes, cracks, waves, etc. A lowered & very firm suspension would be like walking with Legos in your shoes after a few minutes of driving. I picked up a set of RSR Down Sus springs as a backup in case I didn't like the ride quality of the OEM Nismo Coils. But so far, I couldn't be happier with this setup. The handling has dramatically improved yet I can still relax and cruise comfortably without worrying about every crack/bump feel like a cliff/curb.

Cheers!
-Icer
The following 2 users liked this post by icer5160:
khnitz (01-25-2023), MicVelo (01-23-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 05:36 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Never been in a Nismo, but I have owned the S-tune for about 8 years and I love it!
Better than stock, if you like a firmer, controlled ride without coilovers it's THE only way to go IMO.
I've also been in a B6 equipped car on stock springs and thought it was too soft for a sports car.
I agree. I've never driven a Nismo Z33 either, but I've had the Nismo S tune suspension on my car for 10 plus years now and I love it too! The car sits slightly lower than stock, is firmer too, but not too firm and the handling is much better than stock. I also have the Nismo sway bars and Stillen chassis braces. With the exception of my 1LE its the best handling car I've ever owned and damn close to the larger, newer and track focused 1LE.

Last edited by ZPirate; 01-30-2023 at 09:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DarkZ03 (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 06:47 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Another option is to get the Tein EnduroPro Plus (EDFC compatible) adjustable shocks. You can fine tune the suspension to your liking while retaining the stock, STune, or Nismo springs.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:26 PM
DarkZ03

I have mine paired with Whiteline sway bars.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:09 AM
MagicMike78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPirate
I agree. I've never driven a Nismo Z33 either, but I've had the Nismo S tune suspension on my car for 10 plus years now and I love it too! The car sits slightly lower than stock, is firmer too, but not too firm and the handling is much better than stock. I also have the Nismo sway bars and Stillen chassis braces. With the exception of my 1LE its the best handling car I've ever owned and damn close to the larger, newer and track focused 1LE.
Hey I got a question. I have a 46k 04 touring 6mt... I just bought the nismo Stune sway bars. Are you using the stock sway bar end links or did you upgrade to the nismo sway bar end links? I also want to update to the Stune struts. How well have they held up? I do daily drive the car about half the time to work. Is the suspension pretty jarring over bumps or compliant? Thank you very much for responding!
Old 09-13-2023, 06:48 PM
DarkZ03

The S-tune stuff is awesome but also discontinued according to some sources, if you find a set I suggest you buy immediately. Those sway bars are pretty mild, you'll be fine unless you want to slam the car
The following 2 users liked this post by DarkZ03:
MagicMike78 (09-27-2023), timeltel (09-14-2023)