2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best diagnostic scanner 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 05:22 AM
crossierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best diagnostic scanner 350z?

Which diagnostic scanner odb2 do you recommend for a 350z(2006) between 0 and 200 euros
Old 03-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,065 Likes on 753 Posts

Are you simply just trying to read the codes, or do you need advanced features for ABS, SRS, etc.?
Old 03-16-2023, 10:08 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Are you simply just trying to read the codes, or do you need advanced features for ABS, SRS, etc.?
This is key.

There are "code readers" that just do that, read and display DTCs. Usually <$50 USD (47 Euro)

Scanners (consumer grade) - read codes and give "approximate" fixes. The higher models also read ABS, SRS and some allow links to repair databases. Up to about $200 USD

Professsional Scanners - all of the above plus can give you insights into electronic control units beyond the ECM. This would include the Nissan Consult (I, II, III-Plus) that Nissan service shops use. It is the most comprehensive tool available for Nissan. Downside: expect to pay over $400 USD for it. Most people do not need this level of diagnostic tool.

Then there's the choice of hard wire vs wireless. Hard wire scanners have a cable connection between the OBD2 plug and the reader itself.

Wireless uses bluetooth to talk to the main unit OR to a smartphone/tablet with app. The wireless units are all the rage these days but there's no additional features that would entice me to part with my wired units (which are between 10 and 20 years old). I have a simple code reader that I keep in the car, a more extensively-featured Autel scanner, and a scanner specific to my Mercedes (but also reads generic DTCs from any OBD2 car). I use the last one the most (at least for initial read) for all of my post-'96 cars simply because it gives me the basic info I need to diagnose a problem. I'm old (school): I note the codes written on my hand and sit down at the computer to look up the DTC definitions.

You can't really go wrong with a name brand reader. Autel, Foxwell, and one I'm hearing about, BlueDriver (uses Bluetooth and a phone app). There's an Autel unit on the market that is under $100USD and includes support for SRS and ABS. Don't know the model but if I were doing it all over, that would be more than adequate FOR ME, given how I use them.

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-16-2023 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
crossierra (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 12:09 PM
icer5160

Received 401 Likes on 302 Posts

I recently picked up an Xtool D8 Bi-Di Diag tool ($600 USD, so outside of the 200 Euro budget). It's a Chinesium grade tool, but so far it has worked great on just about every vehicle I have used it on (Some issues with older Audi/VWs). I have not had a need to use it on my 350Z yet, but it has allowed me full feature access on late model (2004+) Hondas and Toyotas. Bi-directional meaning I can send commands to the computer modules to test various components or even clear PCM/learned data. I needed this tool to clear learned values on my daughter's 06 Honda Civic suffering from a high-idle issue (Electronic Throttle Body). The only way to fix this issue was to clear the learned/stored data and go through a 10 minute relearn procedure. Local independent shops & even the Honda dealer service department were unwilling to help with this in a cost/time efficient manner so I took care of it myself (it literally took 10-15min from start to finish once I had a proper diag tool).

For the amount of features I get with this Tool, it's more than worth the cost. Similar name brand tools run for $1500+.

If you just want a simple code scanner (no bi-directional features). I highly recommend the BlueDriver from Lemur. It's about $100, has worked on just about every OBDII vehicle I have used it on, and it includes lifetime free updates. It's compact, bluetooth wireless, uses an app interface on Android or Apple smart phones. Much better than those old-school corded scan readers.
Cheers!
-Icer

The following users liked this post:
crossierra (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 02:48 PM
bre240z

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I have this one on my Z

Old 03-16-2023, 05:33 PM
crossierra

Default Scanner diagnosis with 350Z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
This is key.

There are "code readers" that just do that, read and display DTCs. Usually <$50 USD (47 Euro)

Scanners (consumer grade) - read codes and give "approximate" fixes. The higher models also read ABS, SRS and some allow links to repair databases. Up to about $200 USD

Professsional Scanners - all of the above plus can give you insights into electronic control units beyond the ECM. This would include the Nissan Consult (I, II, III-Plus) that Nissan service shops use. It is the most comprehensive tool available for Nissan. Downside: expect to pay over $400 USD for it. Most people do not need this level of diagnostic tool.

Then there's the choice of hard wire vs wireless. Hard wire scanners have a cable connection between the OBD2 plug and the reader itself.

Wireless uses bluetooth to talk to the main unit OR to a smartphone/tablet with app. The wireless units are all the rage these days but there's no additional features that would entice me to part with my wired units (which are between 10 and 20 years old). I have a simple code reader that I keep in the car, a more extensively-featured Autel scanner, and a scanner specific to my Mercedes (but also reads generic DTCs from any OBD2 car). I use the last one the most (at least for initial read) for all of my post-'96 cars simply because it gives me the basic info I need to diagnose a problem. I'm old (school): I note the codes written on my hand and sit down at the computer to look up the DTC definitions.

You can't really go wrong with a name brand reader. Autel, Foxwell, and one I'm hearing about, BlueDriver (uses Bluetooth and a phone app). There's an Autel unit on the market that is under $100USD and includes support for SRS and ABS. Don't know the model but if I were doing it all over, that would be more than adequate FOR ME, given how I use them.
advanced but compatible with 350z between 80 and 200, any recommendations
Old 03-16-2023, 05:34 PM
crossierra

Default Scanner diagnosis with 350z compatible?

Originally Posted by icer5160
I recently picked up an Xtool D8 Bi-Di Diag tool ($600 USD, so outside of the 200 Euro budget). It's a Chinesium grade tool, but so far it has worked great on just about every vehicle I have used it on (Some issues with older Audi/VWs). I have not had a need to use it on my 350Z yet, but it has allowed me full feature access on late model (2004+) Hondas and Toyotas. Bi-directional meaning I can send commands to the computer modules to test various components or even clear PCM/learned data. I needed this tool to clear learned values on my daughter's 06 Honda Civic suffering from a high-idle issue (Electronic Throttle Body). The only way to fix this issue was to clear the learned/stored data and go through a 10 minute relearn procedure. Local independent shops & even the Honda dealer service department were unwilling to help with this in a cost/time efficient manner so I took care of it myself (it literally took 10-15min from start to finish once I had a proper diag tool).

For the amount of features I get with this Tool, it's more than worth the cost. Similar name brand tools run for $1500+.

If you just want a simple code scanner (no bi-directional features). I highly recommend the BlueDriver from Lemur. It's about $100, has worked on just about every OBDII vehicle I have used it on, and it includes lifetime free updates. It's compact, bluetooth wireless, uses an app interface on Android or Apple smart phones. Much better than those old-school corded scan readers.
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 03-16-2023, 07:43 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by crossierra
OK, I'll throw one out again.... The Autel AL439 would be one I would consider were I doing this again. Simply because it's inexpensive but offers full diagnostics on ECM settings AND SRS, ABS. $79 from
Amazon Amazon
. I've had good experience with my Autel unit so I may be biased.

The other I would consider if I were doing a wireless unit:
Blue Driver Blue Driver
which I and someone else mentioned.

However, a caveat (that I don't know the answer to). Notice you asked for pricing in Euros and then looked at your location in Spain. I'm not sure if a code reader for here in the USDM works properly where you are as ECM specs and parameters MAY be different in Europe. Again, don't know the answer. I would at least make sure that you buy from a source in Spain to assure that if there is a difference, such scan tools will work for Euro spec cars. If anyone in Europe can chime in, it would help. I'd GUESS they are fairly universal now but I live in California, where, for many years, we had "California spec" cars that differed from all 49 other states and Canada.

My hands-on experience (which is why I'm wary) with this was with ECMs in early Datsuns (with fuel injection) and had a customer that imported a RHD Z into the US (from the UK) but many parts - including ECM - were different. And not just the physical differences being RHD but the ECM specs were not compatible with a USDM unit.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:19 PM
icer5160

Received 401 Likes on 302 Posts

Autel makes great tools. I have their Tire Pressure Sensor tool (MaxiTPMS TS501). An alternative to Autel would be Foxwell tools, such as the NT630 Plus or NT604 Elite (Both in the $100-150 range). These give some more advanced features/functions, but still somewhat limited. It's a good middle-ground between a base code reader and a fully functional bidirectional tool. I almost got one of these instead, I did find a Honda Specific Foxwell unit that could do the stored data clear and throttle position relearn/calibration (downside was it only supported Honda special features, no other make). I ended up choosing Xtool because it's basically an Android tablet with a nice big color touchscreen with zero lag (super fast, screams through system scans) and I'm not limited to any specific make/model.

I still love my Bluedriver, that was my 1st scan tool and boy have I gotten my money's worth out of it! It's worked on every make/model I've tried it on.
Cheers!
-Icer