Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Going Through Camshaft Position Sensors Like Crazy!? Help??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 07:21 AM
Tech Territory

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Going Through Camshaft Position Sensors Like Crazy!? Help??

I have a 2003 Nissan 350z Touring Coupe, and when I got it, it was throwing a camshaft position sensor code, so I replaced the sensor with an OEM one from ConceptZPerformance (The One I Bought) and then about 2 weeks later I got the same code! Bank 1 camshaft position sensor... Is there something wrong with the OEM ones?? Or is there an aftermarket brand at least that is better? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-28-2023, 07:31 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

More likely you have a harness or ECM issue.
Old 04-28-2023, 01:46 PM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by i8acobra
More likely you have a harness or ECM issue.
If it is ECM then what would that entail to fix?
Old 04-29-2023, 03:46 AM
Macanic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Go back to Nissan, aftermarket sucks.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:51 PM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by Macanic
Go back to Nissan, aftermarket sucks.
I am using OEM right now.... Did you read what I said? I said I am using OEM that have broken twice within a few months, and was wondering if there are any stronger aftermarket options.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:28 PM
BORNGEARHEAD

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Mileage? Chain stretch?
Old 04-30-2023, 03:26 PM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by BORNGEARHEAD
Mileage? Chain stretch?
I have 89,000 miles about, and the new one I replaced it with has had MAYBE 50 miles, and also I just did a timing chain and stuff replacement
Old 05-01-2023, 05:41 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Uh oh, if you just did a timing chain job, it's possible you have a cam gear off by 1 tooth. My buddy made this mistake with his 2001 Audi S4 when he replaced the Cam plug seals (requires removal of cam chain tensioners). In the process of doing that, he got the chain on his Bank 1 intake cam off by 1 tooth! The car started throwing a cam position sensor code, always for the same bank/cam. Btw, the engine ran just fine. No misfires, no loss of power, no rough idle, everything seemed fine...but the computer knew! In the end, we fixed the problem, but had to basically re-do the whole timing belt job, and remove the tensioner + one of the cams to correct the issue. Good practice I suppose!

The sensors are the same regardless of bank/position. So if you still suspect it's a sensor issue, swap them and see if the issue follows the sensor. If the same code remains, then my money is on your engine being out of time. Don't waste your time with aftermarket sensors, they are crap compared to OEM. This is why, in my opinion, I think you have a legit timing issue.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 05-01-2023, 06:25 PM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by icer5160
Uh oh, if you just did a timing chain job, it's possible you have a cam gear off by 1 tooth. My buddy made this mistake with his 2001 Audi S4 when he replaced the Cam plug seals (requires removal of cam chain tensioners). In the process of doing that, he got the chain on his Bank 1 intake cam off by 1 tooth! The car started throwing a cam position sensor code, always for the same bank/cam. Btw, the engine ran just fine. No misfires, no loss of power, no rough idle, everything seemed fine...but the computer knew! In the end, we fixed the problem, but had to basically re-do the whole timing belt job, and remove the tensioner + one of the cams to correct the issue. Good practice I suppose!

The sensors are the same regardless of bank/position. So if you still suspect it's a sensor issue, swap them and see if the issue follows the sensor. If the same code remains, then my money is on your engine being out of time. Don't waste your time with aftermarket sensors, they are crap compared to OEM. This is why, in my opinion, I think you have a legit timing issue.
Good Luck!
-Icer
I am pretty sure it is not that because I ran the timing chain for something like 700 miles before it threw a code, and this is just an issue that has been an issue within the last month or so... maybe though... that would suck to take the engine back outttt ahhh
Old 05-01-2023, 07:05 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Ok, that's strange. If you ran the car for 500+ mi without issue. Maybe it's a chain tension issue, maybe it's a wiring fault, or just really shitty luck with sensors. Properly diagnosing this may require a high level scan tool with live data to trace down. the root fault. If the engine was truly out of time, then a CEL would have set within 50mi or so after you had the engine back together (sometimes even faster). I'm starting to think it could be an intermittent wiring fault. Check continuity/resistance between the sensor plug and PCM. You will need a complete wiring diagram.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 05-02-2023, 09:20 AM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by icer5160
Ok, that's strange. If you ran the car for 500+ mi without issue. Maybe it's a chain tension issue, maybe it's a wiring fault, or just really shitty luck with sensors. Properly diagnosing this may require a high level scan tool with live data to trace down. the root fault. If the engine was truly out of time, then a CEL would have set within 50mi or so after you had the engine back together (sometimes even faster). I'm starting to think it could be an intermittent wiring fault. Check continuity/resistance between the sensor plug and PCM. You will need a complete wiring diagram.
Good Luck!
-Icer
alright thanks so much. ill work on it for sure.