Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Blew Engine - Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 12:44 PM
350scroadster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blew Engine - Need Suggestions

Hi guys, I was at a track day and blew my engine today. VQ35DE supercharged.

I doubt it’s worth getting diagnosed, I’m 99% sure it’s going to need a new engine.

I am leaning towards a DE because I have exhaust upgrades along with a bunch of stuff like valve cover breather and oil catch can that may or May not be engine specific.

I would like your suggestions:

-Where is the best place to get a new engine?
-Ballpark cost for install?
-Anyone have recommendations for a shop in southern Ontario to do the work?
-Is there any argument for getting an HR instead of a DE? I think this could result in a ton of little complications and could cost a lot, and I don’t know about reusing my Berk high flow cats, Borla dual exhaust, and other components

thanks

Last edited by 350scroadster; 07-08-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:27 PM
Enriquez2000

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 350scroadster
Hi guys, I was at a track day and blew my engine today. VQ35DE supercharged.

I doubt it’s worth getting diagnosed, I’m 99% sure it’s going to need a new engine.

I am leaning towards a DE because I have exhaust upgrades along with a bunch of stuff like valve cover breather and oil catch can that may or May not be engine specific.

I would like your suggestions:

-Where is the best place to get a new engine?
-Ballpark cost for install?
-Anyone have recommendations for a shop in southern Ontario to do the work?
-Is there any argument for getting an HR instead of a DE? I think this could result in a ton of little complications and could cost a lot, and I don’t know about reusing my Berk high flow cats, Borla dual exhaust, and other components

thanks
My 2 pennies...

Just get a used DE with decent(ish) miles and throw it in after you do maintenance while its out. By the time you build up a DE or swap an HR in you could almost LS swap and have the same horsepower as your supercharger but NA.

Thats my plan when my DE finally goes boom on the supercharger.
The following users liked this post:
350Shadow (07-10-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 10:33 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,296 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Sorry to hear - I agree with Enriquez -

Just find a low mileage DE that you can drop in.

If you did have the cash ($5k to $8k) you could do a built block but it’s a lot more complicated than what meets the eye.

Dont bother putting an HR in it … you’ll spend quite a bit of cash / headache / heartache for basically the same output. Yes, the HR uses a different exhaust flange so you’re DE exhaust mods would not carry over.

Cost:
$500 to $1500 for the engine - look on ebay, ebay is the best place becasue you know what youre getting and there is recourse if the engine you get doesnt match the engine you paid for.

Install: $500 to $1500 and you’ll want to replace: spark plugs, crankshaft/camshaft position sensors, obviously fresh oil/filter, fresh power steering fluid, fresh transmission fluid, new belts,
coil packs are probaby fine - generally speaking this type of routine maintenance stuff. I would drop a new crankshaft front and rear seals when the engine is out. Consider replacing the engine mounts and transmission mounts with either aftermarket solid or poly mounts. If you dont have an oil pan spacer I would add it too.

Just call shops around your area and find one that focuses on performance. Its really not that hard of a job if you know what your doing (or have a buddy that can help).

Keep us updated on your progress and if you have further questions feel free to post them - we have a bunch of very smart VQ owners and most-likely we’ve all been where you are now.
The following 3 users liked this post by bealljk:
350Shadow (07-10-2023), Enriquez2000 (07-09-2023), icer5160 (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 09:14 PM
djnekkon

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've blown 2 engines, swapped to LS. now I am back with a built DE which I will put a turbo on. Its cheaper than tracking a c8 for sure. Put a good used DE and Fix/re-build the blown one.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:31 AM
SarahGrant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk

If you did have the cash ($5k to $8k) you could do a built block but it’s a lot more complicated than what meets the eye.

Dont bother putting an HR in it … you’ll spend quite a bit of cash / headache / heartache for basically the same output. Yes, the HR uses a different exhaust flange so you’re DE exhaust mods would not carry over.

Cost:
$500 to $1500 for the engine - look on ebay, ebay is the best place becasue you know what youre getting and there is recourse if the engine you get doesnt match the engine you paid for.

Install: $500 to $1500 and you’ll want to replace: spark plugs, crankshaft/camshaft position sensors, obviously fresh oil/filter, fresh power steering fluid, fresh transmission fluid, new belts,
coil packs are probaby fine - generally speaking this type of routine maintenance stuff. I would drop a new crankshaft front and rear seals when the engine is out. Consider replacing the engine mounts and transmission mounts with either aftermarket solid or poly mounts. If you dont have an oil pan spacer I would add it too.

Just call shops around your area and find one that focuses on performance. Its really not that hard of a job if you know what your doing (or have a buddy that can help).

Keep us updated on your progress and if you have further questions feel free to post them - we have a bunch of very smart VQ owners and most-likely we’ve all been where you are now.
Thanks for the advice sir, you saved my day.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:55 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Do you know what you were pushing? Could you put a replacement stock and tune more conservatively if you are worrying about blowing the engine again?
Old 07-20-2023, 02:10 PM
350scroadster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk

Cost:

Thanks for this

Engine costs on ebay and other sites are $2000-$3500 CAD [$1500-$2700 USD] and install has been quoted at $2200-$4000 CAD [$1700 - $3000 USD].

Altogether with necessary replacement parts, hiccups, etc. I expect the cost to replace this engine with a new one, including labour, will be around $6000 CAD [$4500 USD].

Most engines online have a buy it now of around $1800 USD.

If you or anyone else has advice on where to find a cheaper engine or cheaper labour (The shop I go to, Powerhouse in Markham, quoted $2200-$3800 for install).
Old 07-21-2023, 12:20 PM
Enriquez2000

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 350scroadster
Thanks for this

Engine costs on ebay and other sites are $2000-$3500 CAD [$1500-$2700 USD] and install has been quoted at $2200-$4000 CAD [$1700 - $3000 USD].

Altogether with necessary replacement parts, hiccups, etc. I expect the cost to replace this engine with a new one, including labour, will be around $6000 CAD [$4500 USD].

Most engines online have a buy it now of around $1800 USD.

If you or anyone else has advice on where to find a cheaper engine or cheaper labour (The shop I go to, Powerhouse in Markham, quoted $2200-$3800 for install).
Those motors still need ran through and certain stuff should be replaced while out for safety and longevity.

You COULD roll the used motor dice, put it in and hope its good and not abused. Unfortunately most people do abuse these motors and youre just buying time if you dont thoroughly go over everything before dropping it in.

Very minimum replace all timing components while out, main seals and oil pan gaskets.