Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

PLEASE HELP every time I fill up my car backfires and rpms drop at idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 05:44 PM
Greasy Gabe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PLEASE HELP every time I fill up my car backfires and rpms drop at idle

PLEASE HELP every time I fill up no matter how much shortly after once I give it gas for things like accelerating onto the freeway or merging onto traffic once I let of the gas the car gets big backfire and rpms drop all the way to 100 rpms and almost stalls, I’ll rev it a lil bit then it will correct it’s self until I fill up the next time where it will do the same thing. I have recently replaced fuel pump(10,000 miles ago) and my evap valve(10 miles ago)
Old 07-24-2023, 03:12 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Was this issue present before you replaced the fuel pump? I suspect you may not be getting adequate fuel pressure to the injectors (fuel rail). This could happen if the fuel sender unit lines in the tank are leaking (not properly sealed). You may also have an issue with the charcoal cannister, you mentioned the evap purge valve/solenoid has been replaced, but if your cannister is clogged issues can persist.

Fun fact, the number one cause of failed charcoal cannisters is user error at the pump. "Topping Off" your fuel tank or over-filling, can and will cause gas to flood the cannister and ruin it. For 99.9% of vehicles on the road, just let the pump's safety cut-off do it's job. That 0.01% are for cars like the 350Z that have TSBs or known issues for early pump shut-off or difficulty filling the tank.

Have you tried scanning the vehicle for any active or pending DTCs?
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 07-24-2023, 03:15 PM
Greasy Gabe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It’s was my evap solenoid.

Originally Posted by icer5160
Was this issue present before you replaced the fuel pump? I suspect you may not be getting adequate fuel pressure to the injectors (fuel rail). This could happen if the fuel sender unit lines in the tank are leaking (not properly sealed). You may also have an issue with the charcoal cannister, you mentioned the evap purge valve/solenoid has been replaced, but if your cannister is clogged issues can persist.

Fun fact, the number one cause of failed charcoal cannisters is user error at the pump. "Topping Off" your fuel tank or over-filling, can and will cause gas to flood the cannister and ruin it. For 99.9% of vehicles on the road, just let the pump's safety cut-off do it's job. That 0.01% are for cars like the 350Z that have TSBs or known issues for early pump shut-off or difficulty filling the tank.

Have you tried scanning the vehicle for any active or pending DTCs?
Cheers!
-Icer

Replacing my evap solenoid fixed it, but thanks a lot!!