Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Suddenly both doors wont open in and outside

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 10:50 AM
Alex1990

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suddenly both doors wont open in and outside

Hello, I am Alex and live in The Netherlands. I love my 350z, but a week ago I suddenly had a problem.
On thursday I went for a drive and the car did it great. On friday I wanted to step in the car en suddenly I could not get in the car through the doors. Both on the driver side and the passenger side the door handles does not work. Also not from the inside.
I can get inside the car via the back door. Then I can start the car etc, I can control the windows. But no door can be opened. Not from the outside, not from the inside.

Does anyone has any clue what it can be?
Many thanks!
Old 01-05-2024, 12:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,284 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex1990
Hello, I am Alex and live in The Netherlands. I love my 350z, but a week ago I suddenly had a problem.
On thursday I went for a drive and the car did it great. On friday I wanted to step in the car en suddenly I could not get in the car through the doors. Both on the driver side and the passenger side the door handles does not work. Also not from the inside.
I can get inside the car via the back door. Then I can start the car etc, I can control the windows. But no door can be opened. Not from the outside, not from the inside.

Does anyone has any clue what it can be?
Many thanks!
This is going to sound stupid but is the lock switch activated? That is, are the doors locked? Little unnerving that pushing that switch creates a massive safety concern.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:22 PM
Alex1990

Originally Posted by MicVelo
This is going to sound stupid but is the lock switch activated? That is, are the doors locked? Little unnerving that pushing that switch creates a massive safety concern.
I don't know if my answer is very dumb, but is the lock switch the switch on the both doors? Those switches move when I use the remote control, but nothing happens.
But indeed, it looks like there is a massive safety lock. So where can I find it..? Thanks!

And is it possible that there is a safety lock on, when I can start the car and everything, besides opening my doors, does work?

Last edited by Alex1990; 01-05-2024 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:27 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,094 Likes on 775 Posts

Alternatively, if you want to go Dukes of Hazzard style (has Daisy and her booty shorts made their way to Netherlands?), you can always hold down the unlock button on the key fob. That will roll the windows down and you can jump in.

But how do I get out???

I'm so glad you asked. Roll your window down and gracefully unfold your body through the window opening while nobody is looking (That last part isn't really necessary, but just personal preference). Put your key in the latch of the door handle and hold it in the lock position and the windows will roll back up.

Who needs doors?
Old 01-05-2024, 12:33 PM
Alex1990

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Alternatively, if you want to go Dukes of Hazzard style (has Daisy and her booty shorts made their way to Netherlands?), you can always hold down the unlock button on the key fob. That will roll the windows down and you can jump in.

But how do I get out???

I'm so glad you asked. Roll your window down and gracefully unfold your body through the window opening while nobody is looking (That last part isn't really necessary, but just personal preference). Put your key in the latch of the door handle and hold it in the lock position and the windows will roll back up.

Who needs doors?
Haha, I tried it but my remote control don't let me to open the windows. I only can open them when I climbed through the back door and put my key in the ignition.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:51 PM
Heel Til I Die

Maybe the window trick is only a USDM feature.

I think Mic was referring to the manual lock on the handle. This...

When you're inside, and you flip it back and forth and use the handle, does the door open?
Old 01-05-2024, 12:57 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

When you're inside, and you flip it back and forth and use the handle, does the door open?
No, I was referring to these controls...

But can't recall whether they lock out both doors. Hmmm.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:00 PM
Alex1990

Tried already that one and that won't solve the problem.
Tomorrow, I will try the other switch.
Thanks for your help!
Old 01-06-2024, 01:25 AM
Alex1990

Originally Posted by MicVelo
No, I was referring to these controls...

But can't recall whether they lock out both doors. Hmmm.
Unfortunately no. Does not do a thing. I hear the door locking and unlocking.. but the doors stay closed.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:05 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Alex1990
Unfortunately no. Does not do a thing. I hear the door locking and unlocking.. but the doors stay closed.
Never heard that one before. Only thing I can think of is that both doors, somehow the latch mechanisms (rods and nylon attachments) have both coincidentally fallen off. And that's a long shot. Or even more remote is that all four releases (inside and out handles) have failed. One scenario is possible, both is a reach.

Bet its something simple. Make sure you post up the solution. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2024, 07:41 PM
Aeneas137

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

you might just need to open up the door panel and look inside to see what's going on.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:28 PM
Heel Til I Die

I don't think he can remove the door panel without getting the door open.

Well, I guess it's possible but not in the original state. Maybe in a few pieces with holes for weight savings. Because racecar.
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 08:20 PM
Alex1990

Thank you all. What a weird problem. Unfortunately that no one recognise it. I will let you know what I found.
Old 01-08-2024, 05:31 AM
Heel Til I Die

The door handle lock/opening mechanism is a fairly simple mechanical design. Anyone who has had the outer door handle fail knows this as you need to disconnect it in order to replace. The outer door handle simply presses down on a bent steel rod which inserts into a nylon bushing and then activates the door latch. As far as the lock, there are two cables that are routed from the inside lock switch (located next to the door handle) and connect to the door lock assembly, Toggling back and forth the manual lock simply engages or disengages the lock.

As Mic mentioned, the chance that somehow there was some mechanical failure in both of the doors at the exact same time is pretty slim. Possible, but not likely. The only other thing I can think of (since it happened in both sides simultaneously) is that both door lock actuators have somehow failed and it is stuck in "lock" (like it's getting a constant signal to stay closed) or something else electrical from the BCM.

Check the two 10A fuses (#21 and #18) in the interior fuse block located above the BCM to make sure those are good.

Check the 40A fusible link in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery (you'll need to remove the plastic cowl to access)

If all of those are good, check the power supply and ground for the BCM as indicated below:

Alex1990 (01-10-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 08:39 AM
Aeneas137

there is one situation that could have caused both to fail at the same time: someone replaced both of them and did a sloppy job so they both failed after the doors were closed a couple times. this would not surprise me in a quick flip sort of sale. maybe not the case here but could be.
Alex1990 (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 11:18 AM
Aeneas137

I don't think he can remove the door panel without getting the door open.

Well, I guess it's possible but not in the original state. Maybe in a few pieces with holes for weight savings. Because racecar.
he said it was just the outdoor handles that don't work. assuming the indoor handles do work.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:35 AM
Alex1990

Originally Posted by Aeneas137
he said it was just the outdoor handles that don't work. assuming the indoor handles do work.
Unfortunately no, I said in my opening message that the handles don't work, not from the outside but also not from the inside.

When I have time, I try to take off the doorpanel. I also hope to check the electrical system.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:03 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Do you at least hear the door lock actuators moving when you use your keyfob?

Holding down the lock/unlock button the keyfob should raise and lower the windows. Same for the key in the driver's door. This feature should work regardless of country/region.

From my experience with the door lock system. If one of the interior door lock switches/panels is unplugged from the harness or has suffered a wiring fault, the entire door lock system ceases to function.

As others have stated, I think your best chance to sort this out at this point is to start with fuses and then go from there. I believe you will need to take apart the door cards, this sounds like a wiring or faulty switch. I highly doubt mechanical door handles have broken on both sides. It sounds like the actuators are stuck in the "lock" position and are not responding to or receiving commands to "unlock".
Good Luck!
-Icer
Alex1990 (01-10-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 04:47 AM
Heel Til I Die

Since the door panels can't be removed without the door being open, you can still remove the switch panel and inspect the lock switch. I suppose it could be something as simple as a failed lock switch. Hopefully that's it since you can't check the door actuator with the panels on.

Or, you may have to bite the bullet and take it to a Nissan Tech who has access to CONSULT-II and they can pinpoint the problem.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:45 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...de-or-out.html

Quick Reply: Suddenly both doors wont open in and outside