Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350Z values, specifically a 2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 08:25 PM
icer5160

Received 403 Likes on 304 Posts

06 Revup owner here, late to the party.

The 16k asking price is not out of the question if the vehicle is clean inside and out an the mileage represented is accurate. Also, we live in the POST covid era. Inflation + Scarcity (of clean examples) has made this vehicles far more valuable. In 2018 I paid 10k for a an 06 with slightly more miles and worse cosmetic condition.

That being said some (not all) 06 6MT Revups are prone to excessive oil consumption. ALL 350Zs burn some measure/amount of oil, this is true for pretty much every car. Excessive would be something like 1qt per 1k mi, normal would be something like 0.5~0.75qt per 4k mi. This would be my number one concern with this vehicle. Unfortunately, the mileage is so low, even the owner may not have seen any oil burning issues as of yet. You can help mitigate oil consumption by switching to a heavier/thicker oil (5W-40) and installing an OCC (Oil Catch Can). Otherwise, I've heard the main cause of oil consumption on the RevUp VQ are the rings or incorrect bore taper. Both of which would require a full engine rebuild or replacement to fix.

Based on the pictures shared, this looks like a well kept Z, their asking price is reasonable, but I think there's still a little room for negotiation. Without seeing the interior and underbody, I can't give my own opinion/estimate on it's worth. But I think 14-15k would be fair if the car is very clean inside and underneath.
Cheers!
-Icer
The following users liked this post:
bad boyz (03-10-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 12:40 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,261 Likes on 2,319 Posts

[QUOTE=TommyFox;11123454]
Originally Posted by Aeneas137
Is there a way to upgrade the diff? In your opinion what's it worth?
Of course, as an example. This is presuming, manual trans, open diff. But then there's also the proper installation, set up and if not doing it yourself, diff and half shafts R&R. You sound like you're really interested in buying this car based on your additional questions. That's fine, just know what the costs are to upgrade. Here's a list of things you may or may not want but won't get with a Base model.

- Aforementioned limited slip differential
- HID headlights
- Traction control or VDC - vehicle dynamic control
- Optional leather
- Optional Bose system
- Cruise control
- Side SRS

In my book, only the first three are required, the remainder, no care as fluff, but consider that all other packages from Base have some combination of any/most of these components.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:11 AM
TommyFox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=MicVelo;11123461]
Originally Posted by TommyFox

Of course, as an example. This is presuming, manual trans, open diff. But then there's also the proper installation, set up and if not doing it yourself, diff and half shafts R&R. You sound like you're really interested in buying this car based on your additional questions. That's fine, just know what the costs are to upgrade. Here's a list of things you may or may not want but won't get with a Base model.

- Aforementioned limited slip differential
- HID headlights
- Traction control or VDC - vehicle dynamic control
- Optional leather
- Optional Bose system
- Cruise control
- Side SRS

In my book, only the first three are required, the remainder, no care as fluff, but consider that all other packages from Base have some combination of any/most of these components.
The cruise and diff are the only things I care about that the car doesn't have but considering your list there is some big money items car doesn't have but the owner thinks his car is 'rare'. He's an old dude such as myself. I'm used to having cars with no traction control Having low miles and perfect paint is worth more to me but how much is the question.
Thanks for the input we shall see what happens...
Old 03-11-2024, 02:35 PM
icer5160

06s already have HIDs (base or not) and the "fancy" LED rear tail lights, so no worries there.

Expect to shell out some cash for a good LSD. You will need a gearshop to do the pumpkin work as mentioned by Mic. I paid a little over $2k for parts + labor to upgrade my open diff to the OS Giken Superlock LSD (P/N: NS111). This was nearly 10 years ago. The OS unit costs about $200 more now and labor prices have only gone up. You pay a lot for shop labor in CA due to the higher costs of living here.

Cruise Control can be retrofitted fairly cheap (steering wheel buttons + pedal switches), but if you want the cluster indicators to illuminate, you would need to replace the entire cluster PCB (also requires the odometer to be updated to match on donor cluster or risk breaking the law!). Lastly, your ECM must be re-flashed with a ROM that enables Cruise Control or replace the ECM with a unit from a trim package that came with CC (like an enthusiast). There will still be some annoying indicator lights coming on though (assuming you swap clusters), since I don't think you could get CC without traction control/VDC. So if those are not equipped, then the cluster indicators would illuminate to signify an error. When I retrofitted my base model Z with CC, I simply blacked out the LEDs on the cluster board for TCS & VDC, problem solved. Cruise Control worked, indicators and all, but without the idiot lights visible.

The color is rare, so perhaps that's why the owner is holding firm. For some, the base model is desirable since it's a blank slate for mods and there is some weight savings. The OEM VLSD is not that great and many folks replace them. Most Z owners could care less about leather/power seats, or the homelink auto dimming mirror, or the Bose stereo. Things like brakes, wheels, tires, suspension can all be upgraded with better components vs. the OEM options. But Cruise Control is important if you want to tune your Z with something like Uprev and switch between maps on the fly (Also having steering wheel audio controls is a must for me!).

If you really want the car, maybe go for 15k and see what he says. Otherwise, keep looking if the juice isn't worth the squeeze for you. Most folks go for 07-08s with the HR engine, which is usually a safer bet. There are only really two major concerns on the HRs. 1) Oil gallery gasket failures and 2) CSC failure. Both can be fixed/repaired without breaking the bank.
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 03-12-2024, 12:16 PM
TommyFox

^ ^ Thanks for advice .Will see what happens...
Old 03-14-2024, 12:08 PM
TommyFox

He sold the car. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:53 PM
jimbucks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the rev up burn more or less oil than a non-rev up?
Burn or use? Mine recently started dripping oil under the car. Pcv valve was clogged even though I replaced it 3 years and 15k miles ago.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:50 PM
icer5160

Originally Posted by jimbucks
Pcv valve was clogged even though I replaced it 3 years and 15k miles ago.
Did you go with an aftermarket or OEM?

For my Revup, I've always used OEM PCV Valves. But you need to be careful where you purchase OEM parts from. I've seen a lot of counterfeit parts being sold on Amazon and Ebay. These counterfeit parts have created a lot of confusion, many folks think they're getting OEM because the product sticker or packaging, at first glance, looks correct.

Anyway, I know it doesn't mean much, but based on my experience with Revup 350Zs over a 14 year period, I have not had any oil leak problems.
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 03-16-2024, 07:54 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by icer5160
Did you go with an aftermarket or OEM?

For my Revup, I've always used OEM PCV Valves. But you need to be careful where you purchase OEM parts from. I've seen a lot of counterfeit parts being sold on Amazon and Ebay. These counterfeit parts have created a lot of confusion, many folks think they're getting OEM because the product sticker or packaging, at first glance, looks correct.

Anyway, I know it doesn't mean much, but based on my experience with Revup 350Zs over a 14 year period, I have not had any oil leak problems.
Cheers!
-Icer
"Genuine Nissan part" versus "OEM quality" or "OEM spec". Yeah, lots of shid coming in from the land of my people. Some good, some horrible, lots of in-between. Then there are the unscrupulous people making true counterfeit crap in "genuinely new printed BOXES". Those are the ones you gotta watch out for.

I've bought a few pieces on FleaBay for general things around the house or inconsequential car parts and they've worked OK but ya, if it seems "too good to be true", it probably isn't.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:19 AM
TommyFox

2008 Nismo 58,000 miles 20k interesting...

Old 03-17-2024, 11:31 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

2008 Nismo 58,000 miles 20k interesting...

Given current asking prices, this is a steal at 20k and only 58k mles. Buy this after doing due diligence, e.g. service records, accidents, etc. This is an awesome buy if all checks out. This is salvage title pricing!
The following users liked this post:
icer5160 (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 04:00 PM
icer5160

Originally Posted by MicVelo
"Genuine Nissan part" versus "OEM quality" or "OEM spec". Yeah, lots of shid coming in from the land of my people. Some good, some horrible, lots of in-between. Then there are the unscrupulous people making true counterfeit crap in "genuinely new printed BOXES". Those are the ones you gotta watch out for.

I've bought a few pieces on FleaBay for general things around the house or inconsequential car parts and they've worked OK but ya, if it seems "too good to be true", it probably isn't.

Here's an extreme case (LOL), but yeah, be careful out there!
Cheers!
-Icer