Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z Owners i need help! weird clunking/creaking noise coming from behind motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 09:10 PM
lukaslowe1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z Owners i need help! weird clunking/creaking noise coming from behind motor

so my z is making a weird creaking noise upon decel which you can hear in the videos attached (i think they are attached they may not be) but this only is heard upon decel around 1.5k rpms and just started happening, recently my exhaust had be crushed and knocked the driveshaft which i’m unsure cause any damage besides a scratch but that’s just to keep in mind (this is after exhaust has been fixed), i also just changed my oil with rotella t6 5w40 synthetic diesel oil which has been recommended to me many times, just want some feedback as to what this could be? thanks (PS car is auto&#128532

Last edited by lukaslowe1; 07-13-2024 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2024, 11:01 PM
elftale

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at your exhaust system? I'm not an expert, but loose heat shields or worn hangers can sometimes cause weird noises. Just a thought, might be worth a look.
Old Yesterday, 03:01 AM
khnitz

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lukaslowe1
so my z is making a weird creaking noise upon decel which you can hear in the videos attached (i think they are attached they may not be) but this only is heard upon decel around 1.5k rpms and just started happening, recently my exhaust had be crushed and knocked the driveshaft which i’m unsure cause any damage besides a scratch but that’s just to keep in mind (this is after exhaust has been fixed), i also just changed my oil with rotella t6 5w40 synthetic diesel oil which has been recommended to me many times, just want some feedback as to what this could be? thanks (PS car is auto&#128532
As you're a new user, your attachments may not show until you have a number of posts. In the meantime, you could post the video on Rumble or YouTube and share the link in this thread so that we can have a listen and try to help.

Having just replaced this to cure a clunk that came back 18k miles after they were last replaced, I'm going to lean towards a bad ball joint in one or both of the front compression rod arms.
Or, another issue that I'm dealing with now - did you have to remove the front underbody brace when you did all that work? Did all of the bolts torque back to spec? I have 2 of the bolts for that brace to the body on mine that are stripped (it's a mid-west/rust-belt car and these things happen) - I'm in the process of tapping them to a next-larger size (going from M10-1.25 to M12-1.25 thread) and replacing the bolts. I'm getting a slight clatter when driving because of the 2 stripped bolts as the underbody brace shifts against the body with certain movements of the chassis.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by khnitz; Yesterday at 03:07 AM.