Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

‘Top Gear Magazine Car Of The Year’ 2004

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 07:45 PM
RAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up ‘Top Gear Magazine Car Of The Year’ 2004

If this is a repost I searched and didnt see the 1st posting...

http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...wards_2004/10/

And the overall winner is: Nissan 350Z

From the moment you sit in the driver's seat, the Z feels special. The dash, steering wheel and instrument binnacle have nice design touches, as has the exterior. There's a fruity rasp from its 3.5-litre V6 engine. From standstill to 60mph takes 5.9 seconds and top speed is 155mph. The 276bhp goes through a six-speed gearbox with a precise action. Racing changes? Easy.

There's a point-and-squirtability to the Z, with plenty of grip, but here's the good bit - there's not too much. The Z has the right shape, the right noise, the right pace, the right poise. All at the right price; £24,000 is great for a car of this quality and performance.

In a year of so much good stuff, it's still a no-brainer - the Nissan 350Z deserves its place as our Top Gear Car of the Year.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:15 PM
zeroday

thats odd...clarkson trashed the z during his road test of a db a while back....said it was a tiresome car to drive. maybe clarkson doesn't have so much clout there as we thought.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:34 PM
samw1978

Exactly! Didn't they hate the Z a lot?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:39 PM
jesseenglish

Yeah, Top Gear gave the 350Z one of the worst reviews I've seen, yet somehow it's now car of the year. That guy was a jack@ss anyways.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:27 AM
kernel

that has to be the most inconsistant thing i have heard.. this guys is like a car Simon from american idol.. he will bash you and bash you and when everyone else likes you, he will then agree and say that you where right all along. thats really sad if you are a critic stick to what you said, don't go and change your mind a year later cause you feel the pressure.. the car hasn't changed in the areas he was bitchin about when he last did the test on it. so why should he feel that its the car of the hear now.. why not the G35 or the RX-8 which he seemed to love!

personally if you wanna give this joker his 2 cents go here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/haveyoursay/

i think it would be good for this guy to hear what the owners of the car of the year have to say about his opinions!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Scrapin 240

Originally posted by jesseenglish
Yeah, Top Gear gave the 350Z one of the worst reviews I've seen, yet somehow it's now car of the year. That guy was a jack@ss anyways.
gotta love those brits. Guess they have no clue what he said before. What retards. I knew he had to be smoking something during that test a while back. At least he now knows that the Z RULES!!
Old 03-09-2004, 03:11 PM
ypwpat

but don't you think that when Jeremy Clarkson review the first 350Z in europe was the American or Japanese version? Maybe now he Tried the Revised European Version and love it more than RX8.
Oh also, In australia our 350Z had a price cut to compete with the RX8. So i think we now can get a 350Z Track at the same price with RX8 with Leather Option.
But i'm not sure if the 350Z in Europe did the same thing as the Australian did.
Even first he said RX8 is the best car he has ever driven. But later he said the car a bit twitchy on the hard cornering.

Last edited by ypwpat; 03-09-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Boiler

Think it was a Jap spec 03. They had a couple over as press cars.

Clarkson is just the most obvious front man, he also does lots of non motoring tv work and other journalism. BBC have made a whole organisation behind this programme what with the Web site and magazine. They, not just Clarkson, did make the RX8 their Coupe of the year and looking down their list I would not disagree with any of it, but it is all opinions and you go for what you like.

On the pricing issue, most, all?, European markets sell 2 specs. The RX8 is about 10% below the lower spec, say 20% below a Track if they sold that spec.

RX8 are being imported in much bigger numbers into the UK, dunno about Europe.

PS Autocar slagged off the Crossfire last week, but then if that is what you want go for it.

PPS With the dollar having gone the way it has, presumably US prices for imports will have to increase?.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:57 AM
phreezee

Top Gear loves the 350Z! Checkout Tiff Needle's review of the 350Z. He loved it!

Top Gear also ranked the 350Z in their top 10 coolest cars of all time.

Jeremy Clarkson hates Nissan in general and will put down anything from Nissan. He's also rumoured to be on the Ford payroll... maybe that's why he initially put down the RX-8, and then changed his tune. Jeremy Clarkson is a jackass IMHO.

Last edited by phreezee; 03-10-2004 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:38 PM
tremayne

Just some clarification from someone who has to put up with watching Clarkson most weeks!

Tiff Nedell has his own show now and is nothing to do with Top Gear anymore. Funnily enough its called 5th Gear!!! Anyway, he is a genuine ex racing driver and I value his views. He absolutely loved the zed. It was pitted against a 3.2 v6 Audi TT and totally cleaned up on the track.

Clarkson has never liked the Zed and has a grudge for Nissan in general. Yes it was a jap spec , but the pompous a-hole would probably have dissed it anyway. 'Top Gear' is quite a big concern now and the magazine (same name but different editorial staff) have rated the Zed no1 from the very start. It's my understanding that JC was overuled by the magazine boys who are the ones that voted it 'Car of the Year'. Whether the telly show will do the same, is yet to be seen (I suppose they have no choice). Us british 'zedders' are secretly hoping that JC will be made to hand to gong over to Nissan GB on live TV!! (I hope he chokes)

As per Simon Cowell, the issue of JC splits our nation and probably more than half think he is an absolute idiot. Sadly, (again like Cowell) he has made his success by arrogant remarks and bigoted view points.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:29 PM
ypwpat

But if i'm not remember wrongly. That Jeremy Said alot of Good things on the Skyline GT-R34, Wasn't he?