Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VDC worth getting Perf over Enth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Starman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question VDC worth getting Perf over Enth?

I'm about to buy a new 04 350Z, and I'm wondering if it is worth the extra ~$2000 to get a Performance model over the Enthusiast model. I will be putting on my own wheels and tires eventually, so I don't care about the 18" wheels. So is VDC worth it? Do you notice a huge difference with it on/off? Do you use VDC when you are at the track? Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2004, 09:48 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: VDC worth getting Perf over Enth?

Originally posted by Starman
So is VDC worth it?
Yes.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:51 AM
LaoSiFu

Default Re: VDC worth getting Perf over Enth?

Originally posted by Starman
So is VDC worth it?
IMHO, no.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:53 AM
hfm

Default Re: Re: VDC worth getting Perf over Enth?

Originally posted by LaoSiFu
IMHO, no.
It's saved my butt more than a half dozen times, each of which could have done far more than a couple grand in damage.

So, I'm right and you're wrong....neener neener!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Dissolved

I agree. worth it.

Good to have for the "real world" and everyday driving. Where unexpected things can happen, road conditions vary greatly etc..

Of course on a race track it wouldnt be needed. But we're talking real world here. Saved my a$$ more than a dozen times as well.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:00 AM
LaoSiFu

hehe I guess so Dan. Maybe it never happen to me and so I wasn't worried about it.

*knock on wood* better yet, I'll pray.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:06 AM
robcassell

Yes it is worth IT!!! YES
Old 03-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Blue350zCali

Search for accident or VDC off and you will see if it is worth it or not. Almost all of the accidents we have reported on this site, the driver admits to turning off VDC. IMO well worth getting it.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Starman

Wow... Ok... that settles it then. Performance model. Just didn't want to spend the extra 2K for a feature that everyone turns off! Thanks for the input!
Keep the opinions coming!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:55 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I have not had any instances in the last 18 months where I have said or thought to myself that I wished I had VDC.

For whatever it is worth.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:16 PM
funkdamonkman

I have the Enthu. model, and have lost control in a slide. Almost totaled the car.

I'm guessing that VDC might have saved me. If you like to drive fast, then get it. If not, then its probably not worth your money.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:23 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I like to drive fast and go to the track as well and have not had any instances of losing it, people just need to learn to drive.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:46 PM
35oZephyR

A Z owner told me...

Having VDC you'll just get accustomed to driving with it. When you have it off you're more inclined to lose control of your car because you've adjusted to the dynamic driving of having it on.

With the non-VDC cars everyone has to adjust to not having that option so they drive accordingly.

It's like having a bike with training wheels. If you take them off and ride your bike like you always have of course you're gonna fall. But if you ride your bike without training wheels from the get-go and take it easy you won't have a problem.

With that said, I wouldn't mind having VDC...but i don't think it's a MUST HAVE option. I'll take the two grand I saved and apply myself to a performance driving school. Just drive accordingly.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by westpak
I like to drive fast and go to the track as well and have not had any instances of losing it, people just need to learn to drive.
Huge generaliziation. And I hope you go knock on some wood. Hell even professional race car drivers wreck. But they dont have oncoming traffic, trees, animals, people, and ditches to worry about on the RACE TRACK.

Originally posted by 35oZephyR
With that said, I wouldn't mind having VDC...but i don't think it's a MUST HAVE option. I'll take the two grand I saved and apply myself to a performance driving school. Just drive accordingly.
Going to driving school doesnt automatically make you a good driver
Having VDC you'll just get accustomed to driving with it. When you have it off you're more inclined to lose control of your car because you've adjusted to the dynamic driving of having it on.
Who cares? Do you plan on racing professionaly on public roads? What is your point? I think its funny how everyone says this though. News flash, most people on this site are not race car drivers

Last edited by Dissolved; 03-15-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:04 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing to consider is insurance. I would bet that your insurance would be lower if you have it since it is a safety device. I would get the VIN of a car with and without and get a quote for each and compare. It may end up paying for itself in a fairly short time. That being said, I would get it even without the quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:17 PM
35oZephyR

>>Going to driving school doesnt automatically make you a good driver

I never said it would...but it'll certainly improve how much I drive now. VDC doesn't automatically make you a spectacular driver...experience behind the wheel DOES.
I simply stated what I was going personally do with the 2 grand I saved. Whether you give a rat's **** is up to you.

>>Who cares? Do you plan on racing professionaly on public roads? What is your point? I think its funny how everyone says this though. News flash, most people on this site are not race car drivers

What's YOUR point? Everyone says what? Sure not everyone on this site are race car drivers but not all of them have VDC either. Does that mean we're all going to spin into a ditch somewhere? hell no.
My point was to drive accordingly to your car. Just because you switch off your VDC doesn't mean you should still pretend you're schumacher.

I have nothing against VDC and wouldn't mind having it..but the logic of some folks is that without it you're dead. I guess most of us are dead meat right?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:19 PM
jimster716

You mentioned for track use.

For track use, you'll want to turn that VDC/TCS combo button off unless you like your throttle retarded.

However did anyone ever drive without electronic vehicle dynamic control?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:22 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Well Dissolved what you don't seem to undrstand is that driving fast is not driving wrecklessly.

All I am saying is that cars did come without VDC before Nissan came out with it on the 350Z and I don't see people spinninng out of control at every corner.

If people learn how to drive this car and how it handles then VDC is not necessary, most of the people that have posted about crashes are the ones that gun it into second in the middle of a turn, any moron should know not to do that VDC or not. This car has a lot of torque along the entire powerband so you have to ease into the gas if you have shifted the weight to the front as it happens when you shift.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:28 PM
hfm

Has anyone else noticed that the folks who recommend against VDC have some picture or another of their car at the track?

The guys that track their cars don't need VDC. In fact, VDC would be turned off because for that kind of driving, it would only hurt overall performance. There are a lot of skillful drivers on this forum that don't need or want VDC. If you're a better than average driver that is into auto-x, tracking your car or otherwise are an old school driver, you don't need VDC.

However, for the average driver, an extra safety device really can't hurt. If you have the option, I'd suggest you find a Z owner who will let you drive their VDC equipped car around a bit in the wet and you will see what it's all about.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Pusha Z
Banned

Got an enthusiast purposely so I wouldnt get the VDC, but thats because I am tuning my car for drifting. Do a search on Enthusiast or Performance and you will see that there have been many debates recently on this topic

Quick Reply: VDC worth getting Perf over Enth?