Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Clear bra fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002 | 06:17 PM
Zforever

Angry Clear bra fiasco

I just had the worst day of my life.
Bought the 3M clear bra from Invisiguard in CA.
Went to a local installer in New Jersey.
Left my car there since the job was going to take a few hours.
Got a call at 3:00pm that the bra did not fit. Even streching it would not reach, short for about 3 inches.
Installer blames the fellow who sold me the material.
Installer try to make it fit.
I decided to drive there and see what was going on, what I found was a _______ disaster. Not only there was awrinkled up clear bra, there were bubbles, scratches, wrinkles and to top it off the installer cut the material and inserted the blade into the hood paint creating a 9 inches cut in the paint. I also discover a few scratches on the roof, I do not know how they got there. What a fiasco. I porceeded to peel off the whole thing, including some of my goldie locks.
Installer excuse, it was not his material and it was cut improperly.
Iwas out $275.00 for the material, of course I did not pay the installer the agrred $165.00.
Moral of the story, get references and trust no one. I just spent 3 hours compounding the scratches. My silverstone Z is still beautiful, we have gone through some battles already and I only have 400 miles on it. Please be careful!!!
Old 09-25-2002 | 06:23 PM
MaxTR

Man that sucks! After hearing about some of the stories with this 3M stuff, not sure its worth it!
Old 09-25-2002 | 06:28 PM
Old Skooler

OUCH!! My condolences, that's a horrible thing to have happen. Thanks for the warning.
Old 09-25-2002 | 06:53 PM
integraowner

Default I'm not doing any clear bra BS

I've decided the clear bra will be just as much hassle as simply getting the front repainted if it gets bad enough.

My attitude is if it gets bad enough that you need to replace the clear bra, it's bad enough to repaint anyway.

They say paint has gotten stronger and better over the years, and I didn't need a bra on my previous cars, so I don't see the logic in covering my paint with stickers now!
Old 09-25-2002 | 07:17 PM
JeepRage

Default Re: I'm not doing any clear bra BS

Originally posted by integraowner
I've decided the clear bra will be just as much hassle as simply getting the front repainted if it gets bad enough.

My attitude is if it gets bad enough that you need to replace the clear bra, it's bad enough to repaint anyway.

They say paint has gotten stronger and better over the years, and I didn't need a bra on my previous cars, so I don't see the logic in covering my paint with stickers now!

yeah, nissan paint isnt quite up to par... i'll judge by my genuine 95 paint job
Old 09-25-2002 | 08:04 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally posted by Proform
ok, I'm in maryland and ill be in Delaware soon doing a kit, its not the film, Jeremy and i use xpel kits, i just installed 2 today that came out beautiful. Call me at my shop 410-549-3551, we can work something out, my main concern is for the good name of the product, please pm me with the name of the installer, if he is on xpel's list, I'll make sure he isnt on it anymore!!

I'll help you recoup some of the costs and make sure you car is done right...Rob

Maryland Performance Works
mdperfworks@md.prestige.net
410-549-3551
Rob,

Why are the xpel kits so expensive, between the hood and bumper you are looking at over 500 plus the installation that puts me around 800, I found a good xpel installer but the figure is keeping me at bay, for that money I can repaint a couple of times. My problem is the justification of spending that kind of money, if it was 500-600 installed I would have jumped on it without hesitation but 800 makes me question, it is not that I can't afford it I just have to justify it to myself that it is worth it, previously I purchased a customed made bra to match the color of my car and I am definetly rethinking that for the Z, the bra cost 350 so if the 3M was 500 I would easily choose the 3M but at 800 I am having a hard time. I believe that if installations were 500 you would have more takers.
Old 09-25-2002 | 09:55 PM
krinkov

Gus,
As i said when I talked to you and your detailer on the phone, the kit requires stretching to lay down perfectly over the bumper. Xpel kits are designed to minimize relief cuts or extra pieces, it makes for a cleaner finished product but is significantly more dificult to install than the kits he was used to that came in multiple pieces and many relief cuts. This is largely why we are no longer selling uninstalled kits to forum members, this is the second instance of an inexperienced installer ruining a perfectly good kit, and in your case, needlessly damaging your new car. For what a properly installed kit should look like on a 350Z, do a search under my screen name and "ferrari" to see one we installed last week. The fact is alot of installers out there are window tinters or detailers who think they will take this on as a side job to supplement their income, many of them just dont have the experience or the patience to do a difficult install the way a dedicated installer has.
As I stated in a previous post, this is not the fault of the film or the use of the film in this manner and should not discourage anybody from getting the film applied by a competent, dedicated installer that warrentys their work, installing this film is more art than skill. Gus , Im sorry to hear what that detailer did to your car, cutting into the paint was completely reckless and you have every legal right to hold him accountable for any damage occured to your car while in his care.
Old 09-26-2002 | 06:33 AM
mikeinatlanta

please post the name of the bad install shop.
Old 09-26-2002 | 03:55 PM
Dean

Integraowner: "They say paint has gotten stronger and better over the years, I didn't need a bra on my previous cars, so I don't see the logic in covering my paint with stickers now!"

I'm sorry, this statement is both painfully naive and completely false. Modern automotive finishes are universally inferior to past technology due to EPA regulations mandating water-based solvents. Nissan is not the only car company battling consumer complaints about early, excessive paint chipping. Check out the BMW and Subaru boards for more info.

To the nonbelievers in the 3M paint film solution, I wish them luck. Just bookmark this thread and examine the front bumper finish on your 350Z in about 6 months. If you need further convincing, read the first 12 pages of this thread:

www.nissanpaint.com

Dean
03 35Z Track (getting my Invisiguard installed this week)
Old 09-26-2002 | 04:24 PM
mikeinatlanta

^^^^^^^^^^^^Solid post!!