Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A former college class mate Hating on MY Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 05:53 AM
Sly_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A former college class mate Hating on MY Z

This is how the whole thing started. I arrived at work and saw this email from a friend after I told him I have a Z now:

Check this out new Z owner:
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa...9/page002.html

Then came this statement:

Dodge Neon SRT. 230HP, 250LB TORQUE. LSD standard. FMI standard. Price 21,995. Dyno in sports compact car was 227hp, 248lb torque. 350z dyno 238hp, 247 lb torque. Neon has lighter chasis and no turbo lag. No not every car can have mad hp because of the engine displacement. Ofcourse the Z will make more hp because the engine has a larger displacement. But laugh if you want, cause its a pocket rocket that will give the 350z a real challange that is nothing to laugh at. Give me a sleeper. I want an unsuspecting fool to take off at a light so I can embarras him and laugh at the next light, if he/she catches up. And the Neon doesn't use a 2.0 liter engine like your boys over at mitsubishi, its a 2.4. 1/2 Liter smaller than the Z. Keep on laughing and I bet if you race one you won't be.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 11:34 AM
To: ?????, Sly
Subject: RE: Hey

Here's a history lesson. The 280z chasis was capable of handling a vette engine. Over in cali its mad 280z's with vette engines. I'm not really into sports cars because of the higher premium on your insurance. See unlike you the rest of us have to pay for all the traffic violations we incur in MD. If I was to get a Z my insurance would skyrocket. But with a car that can be modified my insurance will be cheap. See the tuner scene is about taking an avaerge car and turning it into a street monster. Thats the part that I support the most. That's why you here mags like SCC and Import Tuner say Dodge got it right. The Z is a traditional sports car and ofcourse it will have traditional features that come with a sports car. I love the Z but would I get it no, because I'm not paying over $5000 a year to drive. Did you know that Ford has a conversion kit for the Focus. You can drop an SVT V8 in there and convert the car to RWD for around 10-15k. Now tag on the price of the focus and that's 25k for a 400+ RWD focus. Yes its a focus but my insuracne company doesn't know its a focus from he!! That will burn 12.5 1/4 mile times. I'm sticking with the idea of taking slow cars and turning them into speed demons. Every company is jumping on the tuner scene because these companies study us. They knew we weren't going to be teens forever and that's why your starting to see cars from video games coming out, and the return of the sports car. Give me a pocket rocket anyday. I will make the ultimate street car. 350Z looks better than the RX-8. Thats like saying the EVO looks better than the STI. Its a personal preference. You make me wanna go out and get a honda and put a wing on it just so I can lay the smack down on trash talkers like you. You're no longer a sport compact car tuner, your part of the sports car revolution. Or did you already get a history lesson in that. The eclipse belongs to the first club. The Z belongs to the second club. Me I'll always be a member of the scc because I like 4cly boxy cars. I'm not here to impress women with my car, cause if that was the case I would be driving a lex or acura.

I'm not into SCC scene and I'm not trying to impress anybody. I'm a sport car Enthusiast. I love fast a$$ sport cars. My insurance only went up $2 from what I was paying on the Mazda6. There no rest of Us that have to pay traffic fines. That's you. You have to know when to speed and when Not to speed.As you get older you will learn.$5000 a year I have My 2003 1.8T jetta and My 2003 350Z on the same insurance and don't have to pay even 1/2 that. If you ever noticed I never went all out on the eclipse, strictly performance, no new rims, no expensive electronics(dvd players,speakers, etc.) The SCC scene is for kids that can't afford to get a sport car of the show room floor 1. Because their parents won't get it for them and 2. high insurance premiums. See that not a problem for me so I can get an expensive sport car off the floor with the horsepower all ready in it and add even more horsepower if I want and still have cheap insurance. End results they get a 130 - 190 hp car boost it up to 300 hp 1/4 mile in high 12s, I get 220-300 boost it up to 450-500hp 1/4 mile in low 11s.and on top of that the car still looks good. You can't tell me that you wouldn't want to have this car. Instead of a neon.

How many people have encountered this nonsense, where u have some idiot that don't want to give your Z the respect it deserves. They constantly tell you about cars that's faster than your Z. I don't ever remember saying that the Z is the fastest car out there.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Sly_Z

Default Re: A former college class mate Hating on MY Z

Originally posted by Sly_Z
This is how the whole thing started. I arrived at work and saw this email from a friend after I told him I have a Z now:

Dodge Neon SRT. 230HP, 250LB TORQUE. LSD standard. FMI standard. Price 21,995. Dyno in sports compact car was 227hp, 248lb torque. 350z dyno 238hp, 247 lb torque. Neon has lighter chasis and no turbo lag. No not every car can have mad hp because of the engine displacement. Ofcourse the Z will make more hp because the engine has a larger displacement. But laugh if you want, cause its a pocket rocket that will give the 350z a real challange that is nothing to laugh at. Give me a sleeper. I want an unsuspecting fool to take off at a light so I can embarras him and laugh at the next light, if he/she catches up. And the Neon doesn't use a 2.0 liter engine like your boys over at mitsubishi, its a 2.4. 1/2 Liter smaller than the Z. Keep on laughing and I bet if you race one you won't be.

Here's a history lesson. The 280z chasis was capable of handling a vette engine. Over in cali its mad 280z's with vette engines. I'm not really into sports cars because of the higher premium on your insurance. See unlike you the rest of us have to pay for all the traffic violations we incur in MD. If I was to get a Z my insurance would skyrocket. But with a car that can be modified my insurance will be cheap. See the tuner scene is about taking an avaerge car and turning it into a street monster. Thats the part that I support the most. That's why you here mags like SCC and Import Tuner say Dodge got it right. The Z is a traditional sports car and ofcourse it will have traditional features that come with a sports car. I love the Z but would I get it no, because I'm not paying over $5000 a year to drive. Did you know that Ford has a conversion kit for the Focus. You can drop an SVT V8 in there and convert the car to RWD for around 10-15k. Now tag on the price of the focus and that's 25k for a 400+ RWD focus. Yes its a focus but my insuracne company doesn't know its a focus from he!! That will burn 12.5 1/4 mile times. I'm sticking with the idea of taking slow cars and turning them into speed demons. Every company is jumping on the tuner scene because these companies study us. They knew we weren't going to be teens forever and that's why your starting to see cars from video games coming out, and the return of the sports car. Give me a pocket rocket anyday. I will make the ultimate street car. 350Z looks better than the RX-8. Thats like saying the EVO looks better than the STI. Its a personal preference. You make me wanna go out and get a honda and put a wing on it just so I can lay the smack down on trash talkers like you. You're no longer a sport compact car tuner, your part of the sports car revolution. Or did you already get a history lesson in that. The eclipse belongs to the first club. The Z belongs to the second club. Me I'll always be a member of the scc because I like 4cly boxy cars. I'm not here to impress women with my car, cause if that was the case I would be driving a lex or acura.

I'm not into SCC scene and I'm not trying to impress anybody. I'm a sport car Enthusiast. I love fast a$$ sport cars. My insurance only went up $2 from what I was paying on the Mazda6. There no rest of Us that have to pay traffic fines. That's you. You have to know when to speed and when Not to speed.As you get older you will learn.$5000 a year I have My 2003 1.8T jetta and My 2003 350Z on the same insurance and don't have to pay even 1/2 that. If you ever noticed I never went all out on the eclipse, strictly performance, no new rims, no expensive electronics(dvd players,speakers, etc.) The SCC scene is for kids that can't afford to get a sport car of the show room floor 1. Because their parents won't get it for them and 2. high insurance premiums. See that not a problem for me so I can get an expensive sport car off the floor with the horsepower all ready in it and add even more horsepower if I want and still have cheap insurance. End results they get a 130 - 190 hp car boost it up to 300 hp 1/4 mile in high 12s, I get 220-300 boost it up to 450-500hp 1/4 mile in low 11s.and on top of that the car still looks good. You can't tell me that you wouldn't want to have this car. Instead of a neon.

How many people have encountered this nonsense, where u have some idiot that don't want to give your Z the respect it deserves. They constantly tell you about cars that's faster than your Z. I don't ever remember saying that the Z is the fastest car out there.

The second paragraph is my statement.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:28 AM
Pusha Z
Banned

Im sorry but how the hell is he pulling 227 whp on a dyno if his car is only 230hp stock with a 30% loss of hp at the drivetrain? Yeah f'n right. Your boy sounds like a tool and you should tell him to get that Ford Focus ahhaa "youre no longer a sports compact tuner" hahaah tell him to keep rocking that Neon...."hi"
Old 04-07-2004, 07:07 AM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by Pusha Z
Im sorry but how the hell is he pulling 227 whp on a dyno if his car is only 230hp stock with a 30% loss of hp at the drivetrain?
I've heard that the SRTs numbers are underrated from Dodge, and isn't the drivetrain loss more like 15%?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:13 AM
Hey Ya

Another thing, you will have a tough time getting 500 reliable horsepower or getting into the 11s with a Z. I can give you some details, but I tend to stay away from these types of discussions.

Also, your insurance company may not know about your mods, but if the car gets wrecked, don't expect to get ANY reimbursement for them...just my .02
Old 04-07-2004, 07:35 AM
R.J._Vancouver

Comparison reviews make me laugh. They are completely subjective. It`s like arguing over what is the best color, or what is the funniest movie. It depends on who you ask and what they like. Just about everyone is going to have a different answer.
I don`t care what anyone says, a real sportscar does`nt have four doors or back seats.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Sly_Z

Originally posted by Hey Ya
Another thing, you will have a tough time getting 500 reliable horsepower or getting into the 11s with a Z. I can give you some details, but I tend to stay away from these types of discussions.

Also, your insurance company may not know about your mods, but if the car gets wrecked, don't expect to get ANY reimbursement for them...just my .02

I'm not going to mod my Z . Well I probably will add a popcharger later but nothing significant. I just wanted him to know my options if I wanted to go the route. I'm getting a little to old (35yrs old) for the heavy mod scene. I do have an 97 eclipse in the garage that has well over 350hp and A 2003 jetta 1.8 T (200hp) that my wife drives. This guy just hates on every car that I buy for some reason. I had a 2003 Mazda6s that I traded in for the Z and he would always find some article stating the flaws in the mazda 6. This guy is annoying....
Old 04-07-2004, 07:39 AM
fblue

Default Re: A former college class mate Hating on MY Z

The guy is obviously jealous. What does he drive? He sounds like a moron. A true friend would tell you how nice your car is, not bash it. I would also not be caught dead in a Neon, no matter how fast it is.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Sly_Z

This is his email. This guy is a joke. I think I'm going to have to cut all ties:

I said dollar for dollar the Neon is an unbeatable deal. 17 rims, LSD, Turbo, all for under 22k. Me I love modified cars. I hate stock cars, they put the cheapest and most restrictive parts on them. The Jetta is just too expensive to modify. Yes its a twin turbo kit for it, but I need to have the Haldex AWD drive unit put in and that's $15000. Or just get $6000 for the twin turbo and get new tires every weak cause that kit makes about 600 whp. Its too many cars to choose from right now. I'm waiting to see what comes out. I'm sure Honda's gonna step up and the new eclipse is due. Subaru has the import scene on lock with the WRX and they have a kit that converts the AWD to RWD (lookout) coming out this summer. And the warranty is the best. BMW is coming out with the 1 and 2 series. Also I am considering the Mini Cooper for some strange reason I really like the car. I like small cars. Check out this website, they import right hand drive vehicles and I'm thinking about shelling out my savings and going j-spec. Did you know that Mit has a 6spd, twin turbo galant w/ FMIC in Japan that makes over 300hp. If I could find one.
http://www.j-garage.com/
Its lunch time
Old 04-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Sly_Z

This is the last stupid email I'm going to post from this stupid argument with David. I'm satisfied with my purchase and that's all that matters. Here's his latest:

I figured out what car I want the most. I've been an Evo fan since they came out and I hated the fact the STI was way faster but Mitsubishi delivered. The Evo MR is bad. I've been saving for some time now and a few more months won't kill me. I want that car bad. 0-60 4.3 Only a Porsche can go faster on curves and it has the accelaration of a ferrari (i think I spelled that wrong) 285hp 290 torque with an active control for gravel, tarmac, or snow. 6spd gearbox. Smoked taillights, lightweight BBS rims, an upgraded turbo, and 3 differentials. The only mods I would add are boost controller, turbo timer, downpipe, BOV, FMIC, exhaust, air intake, & coilover setup. That would only cost around $5000 in invest and pay off. This is me, I'm getting the Lancer Evo VIII MR when it comes out later this year. You heard it first

read the article yourself
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1254

The Grand Daddy will be here next year. The NISSAN SKYLINE GTR, makes its debut next year. Now that is a car I would settle for instantly. Its a twin turbo by the way with your engine, and AWD drive system similar to the one in the Lancer EVO. And I wouldn't be dissing an EVO if I were you. About 3 years ago, that's all we heard from you, Evo this, Evo that. I'll take the Skyline but no Nismo parts please.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:01 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Funny how this guy finds it to dictate what YOU should have bought... like he is your friggin' wife or something. Just tell him that your car is beautiful, fast, and the envy of many. You can also COMFORTABLY tell him that the Neon is only one of those three traits, fast.

Last edited by yobri; 04-07-2004 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by R.J._Vancouver
It`s like arguing over what is the best color, or what is the funniest movie.
Everybody knows the best color on a Z is Chrome Silver (I was lucky enough to have this color) But even better than that is Diamond Graphite on a G35 Sedan!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Sly_Z

I think that the Z is one of the best designed car out right now. That's why I bought it. I think he's trying to make me wish that I bought something else. I'm not fallen for that. I get a lot of nice compliment on the car, and I'm happy with the car. Proud to be a Z owner.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:41 AM
mpowers

The dude is a dork.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

Im sorry but how the hell is he pulling 227 whp on a dyno if his car is only 230hp stock with a 30% loss of hp at the drivetrain? Yeah f'n right. Your boy sounds like a tool and you should tell him to get that Ford Focus ahhaa "youre no longer a sports compact tuner" hahaah tell him to keep rocking that Neon...."hi"
The Neon is underrated, Dodge was saying the first Generation SRT-4 were putting out 215hp (something like that) but to the wheels it was actually 230hp, so next year they just said they increased HP to 230hp, when in reality, it pushing the same as the first year.

And i don' t know were you got that 30% loss of HP.
If you want to take a 30% drivetrain loss, then the Neon is literally pushing 300hp+ at the crank (328 x 70% = 230hp).
Old 04-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Sly_Z

The SCC scene is for kids that can't afford to get a sport car of the show room floor 1. Because their parents won't get it for them

I was just reading my response to this idiot's emails. I want to apologize to you young guys if I offended you by making that statement. I hope you young Z owners accept my apology I let this guy get into my head.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Subbacultcha

i hate people that just can't be happy for you. why don't you guys stop the charade and just drop your pants and break out a tape measure?

I've encountered people that bring up the SRT when they see my Z. I just tell them "Hey the SRT is an amazing car. I would have gotten that myself if that was all I could have afforded." I just leave it at that.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Sly_Z

Hey Pusha, how's it going buddy,

"your no longer a sport compact tuner" was pretty funny to me too.LMAO.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Sly_Z

I was going to leave it alone but this last email took tha cake.

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 1:38 PM
To: Sly

You can clown if you want. But I'm not going to. The Eclipse GSX or GST would never beat the neon. The Golf R32 can't beat the Neon. I give props when props are due. Look at my stats:
Audi TT 0-60 = 7.3 $32,000
350z touring 0-60 = 5.7 $34,000 (YES TRACK EDITION)
Mustang Mach 1 0-60 = 6.3 $29,000
Neon SRT 0-60 = 5.3 $21,000
So be sure that the people in your Z forum know what they are talking about. These are the real stats. So don't go messing with an 04 SRT, YOU WILL GET SMOKED HATER. Now if its an 03, you have a chance because the 03 model has less hp and torque and no LSD, and boost is cut off at high RPM. But the 04 model keeps boost all way up to redline and has larger fuel injectors. I don't care what you say, the Neon is faster. Its only one car in Dodge's lineup that's faster. THE VIPER. SRT will eat up these cars up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOPOWER
Old 04-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Pusha Z
Banned

Hey Pusha, how's it going buddy,

"your no longer a sport compact tuner" was pretty funny to me too.LMAO.
Whats up bro, I had no idea that your old classmate David was the authority on Sports Compact Cars. Did he take your SCC tuners membership card away? Or did he tell you just to cut it in half? haha That dude is the biggest hater ive ever heard of, to quote a Mustang owner from the SVT site: "Nissan 350z is the total package" and that was from a friggin Mustang owner! And why did he post times for the Touring Z (the heaviest) then say "YES TRACK EDITION" right next to it ahahaa This guy David sounds like the biggest load of crap talking about what "hes gonna buy!" Sounds like hes gonna wait forever for his "perfect car"

Oh and about the 30% loss at drivetrain, I was thinking AWD for some reason, but yes even with a 15% loss 227 whp from 230 at the crank is pure crap.

Dodge Neon = "hi" ahahah does anyone remember those commercials? Cant let em live it down like Marv Alberts biting and lingerie, and Hugh Grants "Divine Brown" debacle, must alway remind them ahahahah

Last edited by Pusha Z; 04-07-2004 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: A former college class mate Hating on MY Z