Tire Feathering Issue: Official Nissan Response & TSB

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Sport Z Editor
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Feathering Issue: Official Nissan Response & TSB

Below is the official Nissan North America response to the 350Z tire feathering issue e-mailed to Sport Z Magazine on April 12 at 5 p.m. The full TSB can be downloaded from the Sport Z Magazine download site, http://www.zfilms.org/SportZMag/

David Bexfield
Editor, Sport Z Magazine
www.sportzmagazine.com

Summary
Approximately 40,000 2003 350Z customers will have the warranty extended on their Front Wheel Alignments. If the front toe alignment on these vehicles is not correct, an irregular wear pattern can occur on the inner edge of the front tires. The wear pattern can cause a noise described as "tire roar" or "tire growl." This noise may be most noticeable during low speed braking.

The extended Front Wheel Alignment Warranty for all MY 2003 350Z's will be two (2) years, from the original in-service date. For vehicles experiencing this noise, Nissan will inspect the tires for this irregular wear pattern, and will rotate or replace affected tires per the protocol noted in the technical service bulletin (see attached). For vehicles whose front tires were previously replaced due to tire roar or growl, Nissan will reimburse customers for front tires that were replaced with less than 30,000 miles of usage at the time of replacement based on documented front tire noise complaints (prorated from 21,001 to 30,000 miles).

Background
Over the past year some 350Z owners have experienced a tire noise issue, predominately during low speed braking. This has been described as tire "roar" or "growl." Some owners have also described tire "feathering." It is very important to note that this is a consumer satisfaction issue that does not impact the handling or the safety of the vehicle.

The 350Z was designed for maximum dynamic handling performance and is equipped with tires with optimized handling characteristics. This performance set-up requires very accurate front-end alignment, and Nissan has determined that the 350Z tires are sensitive to any toe-out whatsoever. This noise/excess tire "feathering" issue is not related to camber. Nissan has been following vehicles carefully aligned with no toe-out and has found thus far that, once set correctly, the Z's alignment remains set correctly over time, and that tire noise does not occur on those vehicles.

Nissan engineers have investigated the tire noise issue and determined that, when the noise occurs, the root cause is chassis alignment - specifically the toe adjustment. Toe-out can cause a tire wear pattern (i.e., excess feathering) that creates tire noise. A Technical Service Bulletin (NTB03-006), addressing alignment was issued to all Nissan dealers in January of 2003. In June of 2003 the affected VIN range was identified in NTB03-006A.

Nonetheless, the problem has persisted for some customers due to an apparent failure to properly set the correct alignment. Because of the sensitivity of this vehicle/tire combination to proper alignment, Nissan has advised dealers not to use the "Go/No-Go" color indicators commonly found on some alignment machines. Rather, Nissan is advising dealers that it is critical to refer to the actual alignment number that is displayed for the Toe Setting, and reminds dealers that it is very important not to have any Toe-Out when they are finished aligning the car. This was documented in a revised Technical Service Bulletin (NTB03-006B) in December of 2003. Nissan is also requiring dealers to document proper calibration of their alignment equipment.

Nissan Action
To ensure the highest levels of customer satisfaction, Nissan is extending the warranty for front wheel alignment on customers' 350Zs to 2 years from the original in-service date. Like all Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty service, this extended warranty is only available through a Nissan dealership.

Beginning in late April, 2004 Nissan will contact affected 2003 350Z customers by mail. For Model Year 2003 350Z vehicles that exhibit front tire roar or growl noise, during the extended warranty period Nissan will inspect vehicles to determine the wheel, tire and suspension equipment installed on the vehicle. Then Nissan will:

* For vehicles equipped with original equipment tires and wheels (or with genuine Nissan chrome or NISMO accessory Z wheels), Nissan will:
* Inspect the tires for irregular wear pattern on the inside portion of the front tires and, if necessary, either rotate the front tires from side to side or replace the front tires as determined to be necessary by formal repair criteria.
* If tires are either rotated or replaced, check the front wheel alignment and adjust, as needed, to ensure proper toe-in adjustment.

* For vehicles equipped with replacement tires and original equipment wheels (or with genuine Nissan chrome or NISMO accessory Z wheels) , Nissan will:
* Check the front wheel alignment and adjust, as needed.
* For vehicles with replacement tires that are not the original size, or with wheels other than those listed in number 1 or 2 above or, or with suspension modifications other than NISMO-S Tune, this warranty extension is not applicable unless the wheels, tires and/or suspension are first returned to original factory specifications and the vehicle is then presented to a Nissan dealer for repair prior to expiration of this extended warranty.

Note: If it is determined that replacement of the front tires is covered and necessary: Tires with less than 21,001 miles of usage will be replaced free of charge; Tires replaced between 21,001 and 30,000 miles will be prorated and Nissan will pay for a percentage of the tire replacement cost.

Statement:

"On some 2003 MY 350Z's, customers have experienced tire noise described as tire "growl" or "roar." The root cause of this type of tire noise is front-end alignment. Nissan will extend the front wheel alignment warranty for this tire noise to two (2) years, with unlimited mileage. Nissan will contact all customers who may be affected. These customers will be invited to bring their car to a Nissan dealer if they believe they may be affected by this issue. Nissan will inspect the vehicle and perform the appropriate repair which may include wheel alignment, front tire rotation and, in some cases, front tire replacement. All 2003 MY 350Z customers will be notified that they may be eligible for reimbursement of prior expenses related to this warranty extension which were incurred during the extended warranty period. Reimbursement for repairs or tire replacements due to normal wear are not included in this program. Nissan is committed to a high level of customer safety, service, and satisfaction and is working with its dealers to promptly address this condition."

Attached for reference is the TSB.

Please direct any consumer inquiries to Consumer Affairs at 1 (800) 343-0294
Old 04-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Amnbex

Shift_Customer Service eh?
Old 04-12-2004, 04:31 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

"Shift_blame to the dealers for screwing up alignments"?

This really doesn't say what they will do for those of us who've had multiple alignments and have still gone through more than one set of tires. My problem actually reoccurred faster the second time around, feathering at around 4K miles on the new fronts vs at least 8K before I notice the noise the first time.

To be honest, I don't trust this "delicate alignment" excuse very much.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:35 PM
jmark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notice the part about non OEM parts.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Bertg

What about the owners of 2004 Z's that are experiencing the tire feathering? Will they be contacted by Nissan?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:14 PM
jmark

Bert,

You have a 12 month 12000 mile adjustment period. Take the car in and say its pulling and you want the alignment checked. At least get the free front end aligment.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:21 PM
oscarmayer00

So what about 2004, 2004.5 and the 2005's when they become available, are they sensitive to any toe-out whatsoever too? Did Nissan make a fix to the front-end?

I had a BMW 325 with over 240,000 miles and on the last 135,000 miles I went through two sets of tires and one alignment. You shouldn't have to get an alignment every time you hit a pothole.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:56 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by jmark
Notice the part about non OEM parts.
At least they aren't saying non-OEM voids the warrenty.. they are simply saying they will not replace/service them.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:35 PM
benzz280

so should affected 2003 owners wait for the notice from Nissan in late April or bring this TSB to the dealer immediately?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:53 PM
FCallender

Reading between the lines it tells me Nissan says they have a problem with the car, NOT the tires, and this is the best they can do, based on their current engineering information. It does not absolve them of future claims nor does it eliminate the claims of those of us with the problem(s).
I love the car and I think the tires are very good. I think the suppliers of their front struts are still under suspicion.
I will stay tuned.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:56 PM
NzZ

Default And the best part is...

This "fix" does nothing for the problem...and manages to keep the Craptenzas. Fantastic. Someone in the aftermarket, please figure out what the hell is wrong.

NzZ
Old 04-12-2004, 08:05 PM
aznkukuboi

wow they finally doing somethingt bout it?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:21 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I've had my Z alignment done ONCE by a Firestone shop (Nissan paid for it) and the feathering is completely gone....

Nissan dealer alignment machines are obviously the problem with the continuing alignment issues. All owners that I've heard of that have had an aligment done somewhere besides a nissan dealer haven't had any further problems.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:30 PM
SlamMan

Sounds a hell of a lot closer than anything yet. We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:55 PM
SlamMan

Correct me if I'm wrong but this will cover second owner Zs' also?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:22 PM
benzz280

Originally posted by SlamMan
Correct me if I'm wrong but this will cover second owner Zs' also?
It will!

I am confident (crosses my finger!) that the Nissan mechanics can learn from this TSB and perform the alignment correctly (again, crosses my finger!)...amen...
Old 04-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Girod

I read that they did something in January 2003. Then again in December 2003. And yet once more in April 2004. I also noticed the number of vehicles is about 40,000.

I have talked with two dealerships that know nothing of this problem. Two that did. One that even said they knew how to fix it. My car goes in tomorrow (had it planned since last week). I'll provide feedback whether they replace tires.

T
ps: tools, when bent, are very good tools. Calibration of alignment racks has never been good. And that won't change as long as mechanics get paid $10 an hour and commission. Can you say "please rush as many repairs as possible..."
Old 04-13-2004, 06:17 AM
KyleB

I don't know if you guys have already seen this, but this was part of the TSB from Nissan:

TIRE MILEAGE:
CUSTOMER PAYS:
(see NOTE C, next
page)
1 – 21,000 0%
21,001 - 22,000 10%
22,001 - 23,000 20%
23,001 - 24,000 30%
24,001 - 25,000 40%
25,001 - 26,000 50%
26,001 – 27,000 60%
27,001 – 28,000 70%
28,001 – 29,000 80%
29,001 – 30,000 90%
30,001 and over 100%

The % is what you have to pay.

If you have already replaced the tires, or Nissan has, they can be replaced again at the above rate if there is documentation of when they were last replaced.

You guys have probably already seen the "correct" alignment settings:

Total Toe-in
Minimum 0 mm ( 0 in. ) [ 0º ]
Nominal 1 mm ( 0.04 in. ) [ 0.1º ]
Maximum (preferred setting*) 2 mm (0.08 in.) [ 0.2º ]
Old 04-13-2004, 07:00 AM
MrLoutish

I just spoke w/ my dealership. The service rep, new of the issue and asked if he could look into it prior to scheduling an appointment.

He called me back in less then 5min. According to him the company that provides and services the allignment rack is comming out in two weeks to re-calibrate the machine with specifications provided by Nissan and to provide them with, "a tool to measure tire wear". So I will be in for service in two weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

For reference I have '03 Track with 7000 miles. I cannot hear the "tire growl" but I can feel the uneven wear when I run my hand over the tire.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:12 AM
KyleB

They are getting the tool kit required to preform the TSB today, April 13th.

Quick Reply: Tire Feathering Issue: Official Nissan Response & TSB