Your Thoughts Please...But Hurry!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 02:54 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Your Thoughts Please...But Hurry!

OK folks. here's my delima...I have on order since March 27 a CS Touring with AT, NAV & Mats with Charcoal Leather..they can't tell me when but soon..got my VIN 2 weeks ago. I was the fifth preorder from my dealer but it is obvious that my car will not be the fifth car in. They have three more coming in this week..none are mine. So yes, I am frustrated.

Here's the question...my dealer has a Silverstone Touring 6MT with burnt orange leather coming in on Monday. The preorder on this car has cancelled. The dealer is calling the customer to give him one more opportunity to take the car but if he doesn't want it then the dealer says I can take it.

So..do I wait a few more weeks and get the original or go with the one that's here now. I would be happy with either car however my wife doesn't care for the burnt orange leather.

Your best pros and cons are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:57 PM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you regret getting the automatic? if so, i'd say go for it. If not, i say stick it out for the exact car you want. After all this time, don't let 3 weeks max get to ya!
Old 09-29-2002, 02:58 PM
350zpower

Unless you feel you cant live without one of your options in the car you selected, I would go for the Silverstone your dealer is scheduled to take delivery on.

Being one of the first to take delivery of a car like the Z is a priceless thing and something that only happens once or twice in a lifetime for your average joe.

Also I think the 6MT really completes the sports car package, I am not to sure why you went with a automatic, but I would go with this 6MT Silverstone .. just think you could be driving a Z in only 48-72 hours!

Bye
Old 09-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Better wait.

If the wife doesn't like it, she will make sure to take a few digs at you once something goes wrong.

You had me saying go ahead and get the Silverstone until that last comment on the wife's opinion, which we all know is what has to be listened to.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:00 PM
2003z

I.m a little biased, but I prefer the silverstone to cs. Also, I've seen 88 Shrio's Silverstone/Burnt Orange combo and it looks really good. I think it should come down to your choice of transmission, either way you will be happy.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Gendo Ikari

If the wife doesn't like it, she will make sure to take a few digs at you once something goes wrong.
I woulda said go for it, but Goober has the best point right there.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:03 PM
Boomer

Default Thoughts

Pat, you are going from an AT to a 6MT; will YOU and your WIFE be ok with that 6 months or more from now?

I wouldn't and neither would my wife. Have you asked your wife and yourself the question? If you're both ok with it, go for it.

Boomer
Old 09-29-2002, 03:10 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

You ordered a specific combo of options for a reason. You have to ask yourself if you will truely be happy with something you haven't really been waiting all this time for just to satisfy the hunger.

I went through an S4 and an XK8 (both AT) in the last 2 years trying to find that "right" car. I've been waiting for this Z to come out and fulfill my needs.

I know you wanted the AT because of your commute. Do you want to put up with the 6spd? Could you get tired of it because it's not what you wanted?

IMO...WAIT.
Brad4rdHay

Has your wife seen the burnt orange in person? I would go for it, but again, look at what car I have
fairladyZ in Japan

AudioPat.... quite a dilemna.....

1/ Auto -vs- manual... you drove the 6 speed and said you liked it ... and might have even considered getting it originally had you known how easy it was to use.

2/ I love Silverstone.. I have seen both this color and CS... but still like the Silverstone.

3/ The Silverstone I test drove had the burnt orange leather... Although I personally like cloth better.. the organge leather and Silverstone is absolutely fantastic. My wife liked it so much ... she tried to convince me to change to leather.

Summary...

I think you will have to consider...

a/ is the 6 speed what I want ?

b/ do I love the ex-interior color combination (you -- not your wife) ?

c/ can I live without the nav system ?

answer ... yes to the 3 questions above -- and you will be driving it next week. otherwise.. wait.

my 2 yen... good luck.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:11 PM
mrducks

Default Yuk

I saw a Silverstone with the orange interior at Universal Nissan Yesterday..Saturday... and my first impression was Yuk. Too gaudy. I have the CS with characoal and I'm sooooo glad I didn't take the orange interior.
But than that is why there are so many shoe stores, everyone has a differant taste.
mrducks
Old 09-29-2002, 03:24 PM
RxO

Default Keep your wife happy:

Originally posted by AudioPat
... I would be happy with either car however my wife doesn't care for the burnt orange leather.

Your best pros and cons are greatly appreciated.
If there is anything wrong with the car you will hear about it from now until the divorce!
A couple of weeks to get what you want.
You will be so much happier,
Better all around.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2002, 03:25 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

I have to add that my wife has told me time and again to get whatever I want..I know she means it

As a matter of fact she has told me over 100 times over the past few weeks when I start bitching about not having my car yet to just go and get the Vette that I talked so much about before I saw the Z.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:38 PM
Scafremon

Not much more to add to the above comments, except for one probably minor item:

They made some improvements to the car for later builds. At some point during production in September these changes were to be put in place. Maybe this car and your actual order both received the improvements, maybe neither did, or maybe one did and one didn't.

Not something to really throw a decision one way or the other, but if it's close, maybe this could be the straw to wait for your actual "Built for Pat" order.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:41 PM
abz123

A couple weeks won't kill ya....

If I were you, I'd wait....and get 'MY' car.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:41 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Two things...both my wife and I are comfortable with the MT..the Maxima she has now is the first AT she has ever owned..

Second one is for Scaf...the VIN on the Silverstone is 3000 series as opposed to my original VIN in 2300 series

Actually one more thing..I'll probably be driving the Z more for fun than as a normal commute car

Last edited by AudioPat; 09-29-2002 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:51 PM
RxO

Originally posted by AudioPat
Two things...both my wife and I are comfortable with the MT..the Maxima she has now is the first AT she has ever owned..

Second one is for Scaf...the VIN on the Silverstone is 3000 series as opposed to my original VIN in 2300 series

Actually one more thing..I'll probably be driving the Z more for fun than as a normal commute car
I just received an e-mail stating that the local car club for you has a locator with a large number of cars in all models and colours at MSRP. Maybe they can help you shorten your wait for the same car as ordered...or something else.
Some guy named Charlie is handling this.
Sender says you know him.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2002, 04:04 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

RxO..yes I do know Charlie..thanks
Old 09-29-2002, 04:24 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

My $.02

"Do what you like."

"Can't Find My Way Home"

I'm old, so I remember the Blind Faith group. ( they blew my Mustangs' speakers.........via a Craig Mini-8 8 track....damn Ginger Baker!)

I think MT vs. Auto is THE question.....I've spent way too much time debating this within.........I'm waiting out my first instinct....even longer than you.

Either way, you'll get an awesome Z!

Play some tunes....................;..........
Old 09-29-2002, 04:32 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

One additional thought...there is the possibility that the car I originally ordered is stuck at sea outside the LA Harbor...with the Longshoremen being locked out, who knows what will happen

Quick Reply: Your Thoughts Please...But Hurry!