Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hit ANOTHER curb. Sympathy needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Stabber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hit ANOTHER curb. Sympathy needed

Today, while I wasnt paying attention, I ran over a curb with my front passenger side wheel and then with my rear passenger side wheel I was going about 5mph when I did it.

It chewed up my front passenger side splash guard up pretty badly. That's the only real "visible" damage. This is what I'm talking about, this splash guard is what got damaged (example picture)

I did scratch the rocker panels along the side, but only on the bottom. I don't mean to b!tch, but this really bums me out.

Am I the only moron who has done this? You cant really tell theres any damage unless I show you. No bent rims, tire pressure monitoring system works great. But once you get underneath the car, the scratches on the ground effects show. Car is still aligned perfectly.

Am I the only moron who does crap like this with a brand new Z
Old 04-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Lookingtobuy

Possible watch the road instead of the female admirers on the side of the road?
Old 04-17-2004, 09:21 PM
biscotti

Unhappy

I'm sorry about your Z. I feel your pain. I scraped the front spoiler on my G35C after a few hours of ownership. Your front spoiler is also very low so be careful when pulling up into a parking stall that has a cement block. At least the damage that you did is not easily visible. Don't worry, enjoy your ride.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Stabber

Originally posted by Lookingtobuy
I was turning into a store and didnt see the curb. It was out pretty far.

But come on guys, I need serious answers. This is my baby
Old 04-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Stabber

Originally posted by biscotti
I'm sorry about your Z. I feel your pain. I scraped the front spoiler on my G35C after a few hours of ownership. Your front spoiler is also very low so be careful when pulling up into a parking stall that has a cement block. At least the damage that you did is not easily visible. Don't worry, enjoy your ride.
thanks man. Just so damn depressing sometmes
Old 04-17-2004, 11:14 PM
Twistedframe

Right as I brought it home for the first time, I was backing into the parking space, and didn't stop in time, but only to run the back end up onto the curb and heard a SCRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKK! and boom, it stopped. I thinkk it went all the way to the wheels??

OH DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

pulling it off the curb was sooooo painful as it was even louder!!

After getting back there to see my first battle scar, I noticed the two HUGE white trenches dug into the concrete from the end cap lips on the Nismo exhaust. MAN WTH???? It amazingly did not do anyting to the body or the exhaust tips, only the shiny chrome, center mounted muffler !!

I have scraped the long wings west lip a couple of tmes too. dammit. retarded.

I feel ya...
Old 04-18-2004, 01:49 AM
Grommit

Awww... it's not THAT bad. I mean come ten years from now I bet you won't even remember it.

Nawh, I'm sorry that happened to ya. I scraped the front of my bumper and put a few deep scratches in it. I'll have to get my bumper repainted eventually to fix that and all those rock chips!

Maybe you can use this as an excuse to eventually get a new body kit, ya? Like you said, it's not visible unless you point it out so take a deep breath and just enjoy your Z! :P
Old 04-18-2004, 04:21 AM
XtaZee

I scraped the bottom passenger side my SB Roadster parking up against a curb that was almost a foot tall and stuck out into the parking lot at a Walmart.

I backed into that spot because it was away from the rest of the cars. When I came back, I put some bags in the trunk, got in the car and forgot how far the median stuck. I scraped the bottom when I made a right coming out of the spot. Made a foot long scrape. Lucky, it's not noticible from the side and you only can see it if you bend down and are close to the car.

I can order a new piece for $225 shipped but it doesen't come painted so I think i'll wait a year and then i'll paint the whole car to fix all the nicks from the cheap paint job Nissan does for the car.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:29 AM
zeroday

last night i was out on a date and scraped the **** out of my new veilside cf lip on a curb. i tried to play it cool like it was no big deal but man i was dyin inside. THEN as if that wasn't bad enough, we were looking for a parking spot and she points out this small spot on the street in between two cars...to which I said was too small...but she insisted it was fine...i ended up very lightly tapping my front bumper into the chevy truck in front o me which happened to have a metal tow hitch sticking out. Now there is a big dimple on my bumper.

i feel your pain man.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:42 AM
synth19

^ women can be evil.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:39 AM
AZZGUY

Thumbs up rim damage

I learned quickly ( with no damage done) - when pulling into a parking place - try to park 12 to18 inches from the curb in front of you - then if you compare the tail of your Z with those parked beside you - you are more in line with them - and no possibility of damaging the front end of the nice Z !! Once you remembe to do that - no problems. I did round a corner too quickly the first comple weeks - and did very slight scrape on right rear rim! Got out the tube of touch up paint they gave me - and really have to be looking close to see it! Another lesson learned - this car responds quickly to a turn!!
Old 04-18-2004, 07:43 AM
phile

I have countless scratches that appear on my car almost daily. I drove over the corner of the curb by my driveway the other day while I was trying to squeeze in next to my blazer (winter rat).It scratched the splash guard. When I was in Niagara falls I drove over a piece of old curb that was still there. They left it there in front of the NEW CURB! Needless to say, I sit so low I didn't see it and it scratched the area right next to the splash guard. I've pressed my front bumper into a granitie curb because I wasn't paying attention when i was parking. It left like 40 small dimples in the front lip area. I have also curbed my passenger side rims atleast 6 times. Can anyone top all that? I don't care though. I'm probably going to paint the car, get new rims, and throw on a body kit sometime. Most of this damage isn't very obvious either...so no big deal I guess.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:15 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when making a right turn I need the other side of the road to be clear so I can swing it REAL wide, just to be sure I dont scrape the back rim.

but I donno about running the front tire over it too... maybe just slow down a bit in parking lots and pay close attention. should be an easy thing to avoid.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:40 AM
jcr847

Within my first week of ownership, I once got the right side up on a curb pulling into a dunkin donuts parking lot. Scraped the underside of something, I thoroughly inspected and couldn't find any visible damage though, lucky i guess.
(I was admiring a female passerby entering the Dunk's at the time)
Now I am extremely careful when i go anywhere.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:44 AM
mrZeee

its times like this when we should quote a great american for inspiration:

"DU-OH".....Homer J. Simpson
Old 04-18-2004, 09:13 AM
IsatteliteI

Originally posted by Lookingtobuy

But it's so hard to look away...
Old 04-18-2004, 09:29 AM
ViZion

i scratched my rear passanger wheel when i was parallel parking. the curb had been broken and was not visable when i was parking...so i thought i was fine the *screeeaaaaaaack*

i was PISSED!!!

fortunately it's only a small scratch on the lip of the wheel no damage to the splash gaurds

the only other horrible sound...scratching the under body of the car (exhaust, cat etc) i was pulling into an insanely steep and short driveway and the same god-awful noise. *twitch* it was the worst.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:50 AM
AZZGUY

Default Avoiding stationary objects, curbs,etc

I have a steep and short drive way - decided early on the solution: I always park on the right side - my wife parks on the left side. When I get near my house I drop it into 2nd gear - go very slow - enter the drive on the left side - my car angled toward the right side - then straigten out as my back right wheel is on the drive. In exiting - I twice the steering wheel to the right and exit the drive at a goodl angle also. Never "bottom out" using this strategy.
I had a 300zx for 5 years - and never had quite the same problems - seems as someone mentioned - one sits lower in the 350 Z- and judgment of curbs, etc is something we have to be aware of and get more used to - in avoiding !!
Old 04-18-2004, 12:34 PM
maxipad96

I put a nice scrape in the front bumper pretty much only underneath but a little visible within the first week I had the car... Just shuttered when I heard it.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:35 PM
R.J._Vancouver

I`ve done this in my Z. I was pulling up to a 7-11.
Luckily, it scraped the bottom, and not the front, so you can`t see it. but when I first heard the scraping noise, I thought I was going to cry :-)

Quick Reply: Hit ANOTHER curb. Sympathy needed