Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Doin 160mph..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Dissolved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by UsafaRice
1) I read CorvetteForum regularly and they talk about the 1/4 more than anything.

2) Looks like we have us one of these...
Old 04-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Morning Wood

you guys should bring buddies with videocameras. i love gore videos.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:31 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by xtazee
Need For Speed? Try doing 163 MPH on Sport Bike and bouncing off the rev limiter, THATS an adreniline rush. Everything to the sides is a solid blur while your pushing the pavement underneath @ 240 feet/sec . Just make sure your head is tucked under the windshield and don't lift your head up, the drag from the air getting under your helmet will rip you off the bike!
I lost a buddy that way....

Be careful man and best of luck to you.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:34 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by xtazee
Need For Speed? Try doing 163 MPH on Sport Bike and bouncing off the rev limiter, THATS an adreniline rush. Everything to the sides is a solid blur while your pushing the pavement underneath @ 240 feet/sec . Just make sure your head is tucked under the windshield and don't lift your head up, the drag from the air getting under your helmet will rip you off the bike!

hauling a$$ in a car is nothing like hauling a$$ on a bike! i've been on the back of my friends bike up to 135 and in my Z up to 150 and being on that bike exposed to everything is awesome (not that it isn't awesome doing 150 in the Z, just not the same).

and before i get flamed let me say that i think that doing 160 is not the smartest or safest idea in the world.

but it sure is fun.

just do it *safely*. know the road. make sure there is NO other traffic. killing/injuring an innocent person is unacceptable. if something were to happen to you on the otherhand at least it was at your will.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:31 AM
Mukrat
Race Naked FTW!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been to 150 in my Track Z at 3AM on a 3 lane highway. It is very stable at those speeds. However as mentioned more then once, you MUST be focused on the driving. Don't look at the speedo or RPM guages. Focus on the driving and both hands on the wheel. I have been driving sports cars for 15 years. I have driven everything from a 70's Alfa Romeo Spider to a 94 Lamborgini Diablo. I can tell you from first hand experience that all cars handle different at high speeds.

Rule number 1: Don't drive faster then your car can handle. The Z can handle it.
Rule number 2: Don't exceed YOUR limitation. Knowing your own limits will determine if you can go 160 Anywhere, let alone an "empty desert strip".
Rule Number 3: Don't do it all at once. If you have never gone over 100 MPH in your Z don't try to go 160 right away. Aim for a lower speed and get an idea for the feel at that speed first. Try 120 then back to normal speeds, then 130, then 140 etc.. This will give you a Very good idea of the handling differences and your own limitations.

Follow those simply guidlines and you can safely experience high speeds. But DON'T EVER DO THIS IN OR NEAR TRAFIC. If you hurt yourself you have only yourslef to worry about. When you injur others, thats a whole different world.

An "empty desert strip"... Salt flats with nothing but 5+ miles of straight away and nothing around is the Perfect place to go highspeed. An "empty desert strip" that is paved and has posted speed signs is NOT the "perfect" place. Choose your location carefully and understand the circomstances BEFORE you take the challenge.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:40 PM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Originally posted by Mukrat
I've been to 150 in my Track Z at 3AM on a 3 lane highway. It is very stable at those speeds. However as mentioned more then once, you MUST be focused on the driving. Don't look at the speedo or RPM guages. Focus on the driving and both hands on the wheel. I have been driving sports cars for 15 years. I have driven everything from a 70's Alfa Romeo Spider to a 94 Lamborgini Diablo. I can tell you from first hand experience that all cars handle different at high speeds.

Rule number 1: Don't drive faster then your car can handle. The Z can handle it.
Rule number 2: Don't exceed YOUR limitation. Knowing your own limits will determine if you can go 160 Anywhere, let alone an "empty desert strip".
Rule Number 3: Don't do it all at once. If you have never gone over 100 MPH in your Z don't try to go 160 right away. Aim for a lower speed and get an idea for the feel at that speed first. Try 120 then back to normal speeds, then 130, then 140 etc.. This will give you a Very good idea of the handling differences and your own limitations.

Follow those simply guidlines and you can safely experience high speeds. But DON'T EVER DO THIS IN OR NEAR TRAFIC. If you hurt yourself you have only yourslef to worry about. When you injur others, thats a whole different world.

An "empty desert strip"... Salt flats with nothing but 5+ miles of straight away and nothing around is the Perfect place to go highspeed. An "empty desert strip" that is paved and has posted speed signs is NOT the "perfect" place. Choose your location carefully and understand the circomstances BEFORE you take the challenge.
This is very sound advice... driving at 160 is not "crazy” if the equipment can handle it and you can too...

Just to add to above... some one talked about tunnel vision.... if you are starting to get tunnel vision then you are driving faster then you can handle, regardless of the speed. If you get it at 20mph or 250mph it does not matter it is still dangerous and you should never be driving at a speed where you tend to suffer from tunnel vision.... when you get tunnel vision, you mind is receiving too much info that all you can focus on is just the most important info, which happens to be right ahead of you... You can not see upcoming problems that are outside what you are focusing on.

My final advice is to save money up for a HPDE... cheaper then a speeding ticket and a lot more fun then a trip to 160 will ever be

Last edited by jtree007; 04-26-2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:55 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Originally posted by silver&black03
ok, do i have the only retarded computer here that has no video? i have the audio of the 160 vid but no picture.
Looks like it's in XVID format; I can't play it either. You need to install the XVID codec. I'm trying to find it right now (xvid.org only distributes source code, not binaries.)

Update: I found a link to a small XVID installer program here:

http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml

Download and install this, and you can play parkway.avi.

-CZ

Last edited by z350z; 05-01-2004 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:44 AM
ragtopz

i would never try driving that fast on a public road. like other people stated, too much can happen. too many variables.

now an airport runway... that is a different story. that is exactly what i am going to do tomorrow. unfortunately, i dont think i will be able to get it up to top speed, but i will sure try.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:22 PM
fuzion

last night i was out pretty late - maybe 3 or 4 am on i95 heading home. no cars for a ways off in front, none in the back and no exits where cops would be.

so i gunned it. got her to about 130 before i started catching up with traffic and shut down. i must say this car is VERY, VERY stable at those speeds. one these days ill hit 150 but only if its safe.....
Old 05-01-2004, 08:21 PM
ragtopz

Originally posted by ragtopz
i would never try driving that fast on a public road. like other people stated, too much can happen. too many variables.

now an airport runway... that is a different story. that is exactly what i am going to do tomorrow. unfortunately, i dont think i will be able to get it up to top speed, but i will sure try.
ok, that runway was way too short. nitrousoxidex, i am shipping my z over and let's race to vegas together. j/k.