Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Performance or Track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:04 AM
hazu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance or Track?

I am deciding between these two.... I live in Canada so we have a different specs than US...

For track pack... we have NO OPTION.... no Nav... no Bose.... 6 way manual adjustable seat... it comes with front chin spoiler, rear underbody diffusers, rear spoiler, and of course.. Brembo brakes... [Any pics of the front spoile or diffuser are appreciated]

For performance... Nav is an option[$3,400CAD].... Bose, 6 way Power adjusted Leather seats are included.. and it's $1,600CAD cheaper than track...

Slightly different setting compare to the States...

Any suggestion? How much do I need to pay over MSRP to get one?? Did anyone add Brembo brake system to their performance model? How much does it cost??

Thanks!!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:08 AM
EL Diablo

If you can afford the TRACK why wouldnt you get it over
the Performance model?

Get the TRACK the Brembos are well worth it.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:24 AM
350zluvr

In U.S. we don't get leather with the performance. Brembos are alright, but I didn't get a track because it was more than I wanted to pay + I knew I would upgrade the wheels and brakes later on. I'm happy w/ my performance and have no regrets about not getting a track model. - but that's just me.

I think if you will upgrade later, don't get track and save $. If you are planning on keeping it stock, then I would consider the track model.

Are leather seats and blose important to you?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:46 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey!
I bought the track partly because I wanted the Brembo package. Sure there are bigger kits out there, but if you look at the cost (not including installation), they're gonna cost you...Big time.

I like the Track Rays, and yeah I might upgrade them later, but at least the Rays will fetch a fair price, so even in an upgrade, the Rays were a good investment.

As far as pictures go, check out my Track at:

http://cobean.homeip.net:8080/index....owimages&fid=4

Whatever you get, you're gonna love it, so don't lose too much sleep about making the "wrong choice".....

Enjoy!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:14 AM
350zluvr

kcobean, I did not mean to offend you or anything, and at the same time in no way "put down" the track model or it's offerings. I just meant to say that if he was planning on upgrading there are better things out there. Then again there are always better things out there.

At first, I liked the way the performance wheels looked better than the track's, now the track wheels have really grown on me, and I think they really are a piece of art. I would just like wider wheels with a big brake system a little later on.

Did not mean disrespect as if I could afford the higher payments I would have gotten a track myself.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Jetpilot718

Agreed on both posts with 350zluvr...

I have an 04 superblack performance. I didnt want the leather or bose (nissan leather sucks and so does the bose). I plan on tracking this car one day, and will then need to upgrade the brakes and/or wheels. So, for me, the extra money saved = being able to pay off quicker +being able to put EXACTLY what I want on the car.

Either car is awesome, so ya cant make a wrong decision
Old 04-20-2004, 09:23 AM
spitfirez

Default Re: Performance or Track?

Originally posted by hazu
Any suggestion? How much do I need to pay over MSRP to get one?? Did anyone add Brembo brake system to their performance model? How much does it cost??
I'm not sure how much Zs are going for in Canada but you shouldn't have to pay over MSRP.

A 4-wheel brake kit will be expensive. I'm guessing around $3-4k.

If you like the Rays wheels and the brembos, I say go for the Track. If you prefer different wheels/brakes then get the performance then upgrade.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Sly_Z

I have the track model and I really enjoy the brembo brakes. I think that both cars are great cars and handles well. I think the decision has to be based on what you can afford or how you drive. I bought the track model because of how I drive my cars. I think you would be happy either way.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Mukrat
Race Naked FTW!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove 3 different trims before I decided. Performance, Touring and Track. I liked the track most. It just felt more stable all around then the others. Friend of mine with a Vortech SC in his Z rode with me one day and mentioned that my Z actually hooked up better then his originally. It had more grip in a dig and on the corners. He said the corning in my Track felt alot more stable then in his performance. BTW his Z is heavily modded with 19' rims and 275 rear wheels. JIC Strut bar and Eibach springs. Even then he says my car feels real stable. And those Brembos will stop on a dime!

I have mods planned out that do not include breaks or rims because I like the ones that come with the Track. And they are pretty good.

Last edited by Mukrat; 04-20-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:44 AM
zturtle

If you are going to upgrade your wheels and brakes get the 17" rims on a performance.
The prob with the 18 inch rims is that if you look at tire life and and cost you will realize that by 45000 miles you will have saved money by swapping the rims, to a larger, more common size. PLUS that annoying TPS that goes off the minute the temp drops but 15 degrees.
When I drive hard TCS is off, and so would VDC. It's just not worth it to me.
But I will agree that a stock track is awesome and allows 99% of drivers to spend money elsewhere in the car.
If you like leather and want to stay stock on the mech part, install aftermarket leather on a track.
If you REALLY want power seats and nav with the bose, then what you really need to look at is the G35 Coupe.

Last edited by zturtle; 04-20-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:35 AM
hazu

Thanks for all your inputs!! I personally prefer Track more.. Brembo brakes are HOT.... the only think i don't like is the audio system... 160watts AM/FM/CD... I have an iPod so I want to plug in with cassette tape.. and they have that on Performance with 6 Disc CD Changer... Anyone upgrade the audio system in their track model??
Old 04-20-2004, 01:16 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by 350zluvr
kcobean, I did not mean to offend you or anything, and at the same time in no way "put down" the track model or it's offerings. I just meant to say that if he was planning on upgrading there are better things out there. Then again there are always better things out there.

At first, I liked the way the performance wheels looked better than the track's, now the track wheels have really grown on me, and I think they really are a piece of art. I would just like wider wheels with a big brake system a little later on.

Did not mean disrespect as if I could afford the higher payments I would have gotten a track myself.
Absolutely no offense taken at all!!! I'm sorry you thought so It's funny how people interpret things....That's exactly why I hate talking on IM; you never can tell tone.

Anyway...My take on it is this...Unless you plan on doing some serious track time in your Z, brakes any bigger than the Brembo's are a waste of money. You'd have to push your car pretty hard to need more stopping power than the Brembo's offer. If you get something like the Wilwood 6-pistons, you're probably doing it for looks.

Wheels....Well, that's a whole different discussion, but like I said, if I get tired of them and decide to sell them, they have market value higher than that of the stock wheels, so it's not money lost if I upgrade.

I like the Aero package on the Track. So many of the body-kits out there are just too much on a car as graceful as the Z is, so I don't see replacing my stock kit anytime soon.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:56 PM
DiRN

Thanks for all your inputs!! I personally prefer Track more.. Brembo brakes are HOT.... the only think i don't like is the audio system... 160watts AM/FM/CD... I have an iPod so I want to plug in with cassette tape.. and they have that on Performance with 6 Disc CD Changer... Anyone upgrade the audio system in their track model??
You're going to plug the iPod in through a cassette and you're concerned about the non-Bose not being good enough? With the amount of quality lost going from digital to analog, I doubt you'd notice a difference.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:18 PM
hazu

is there any aux input for Z then???
Old 04-20-2004, 09:25 PM
DiRN

is there any aux input for Z then???
Nope.

Unless you're completely opposed to aftermarket HUs, you may want to go with something like http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...icle_650.shtml
Old 04-21-2004, 03:37 AM
Mukrat
Race Naked FTW!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not into tunes or "conveniences". Bare bones is my style for a sports car. Everything else is fluff to me.

I think having the power windows is one of the best interior features on my track
Old 04-21-2004, 05:23 AM
hazu

Originally posted by DiRN
Nope.

Unless you're completely opposed to aftermarket HUs, you may want to go with something like http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...icle_650.shtml
Wow... this is great.. probably need to upgrade the audio system then... =)
Old 04-21-2004, 06:28 AM
Sly_Z

That's the only thing that I'm not totally pleased about is the Audio system. That's an easy upgrade though.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I have a performance...

and am planning on upgrading to Stop Tech's which blow brembo's out of the water
Old 04-21-2004, 09:58 AM
ViZion

i got the track, because i know my spending habits...i wouldn't save up for aftermarket wheels or brakes so to have wheels and brakes that i'm really happy with as part of my financing was a huge plus.

it really boils down to pracitcality. if you aren't stoked about the rays and brembos...and are willing to save up and pay later for wheels and brakes that you'd be more satisfied with, then get the performance. the track wouldn't be worth the extra cost for you. if you've got your heart set on leather...get the perf.

but if you like the rays and brembos (i'm extremely happy with mine) and don't forsee yourself looking to upgrade those two things (or don't see yourself saving up for either of those) then i would go with the track.

Quick Reply: Performance or Track?