2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA: no more front plates!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:43 AM
hypeiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havn't had any trouble not running a front plate on my car. I had planned to put it on to just so I wouldn't be giving police a reason to pull me over but I just never got around to it. I have the plate in my glovebox I just need to buy a ZEE-bracket or something to put it on.

I was driving in Spring Valley which is a little village inside of houston that has some very strict police. A friend of mine got pulled over for going 33 in a 30 and given a ticket. I was coming around a turn going exactly 30mph and my detector went crazy screaming "LASER". I look ahead and about 1/8th mile ahead of me I see a police officer on a motorcycle aiming his laser gun at me. There were no cars around so he just kept it on me the entire time I was driving towards him. The whole time I was thinking "please don't notice I don't have a front plate... please don't..."

I just rolled on by no problem and since then I haven't given much thought to the whole front plate thing... By contrast a friend of mine that is local to me now had a 350z and put the nismo graphics on it making his car really stick out and got pilled over alot till he put a front plate on.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:53 AM
FaustOrFamine

No front plates required here in PA either, but the tint law is very strict. 70 is as low as you can go on the Driver and Passenger windows. I beleive that 70 is the limit on the rear window as well.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:16 AM
FLZ_Boy

Put a nice dealer sticker on the inside the right hand side of the windshield with the new car VIN number paper. Put your back license plate on. I'm waiting how long it'll take for me to get caught.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:17 PM
LATEZ

not a chance on this in CA with all the camera they put up in the intersections
Old 04-06-2005, 03:19 PM
LATEZ

FLZ BOY
I tried that ..plates on the back and vin sticker on the front..lasted 6 months before the local sheriff called me on it ...gave me a warning no tix
Old 04-06-2005, 04:28 PM
gladz

I don't even try and fool 'em. I figure the Corvette and Benz people never use it so neither will I!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:45 AM
Chicken

Originally Posted by LATEZ
not a chance on this in CA with all the camera they put up in the intersections
Not that I think there's a chance we'll see it either, but...

By "too good personal knowledge" I know that the red-light cams don't take a picture of your front plate. At least not the ones that visually probed my car in Inglewood.

:: washes car - feels so violated ::
Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Not only are the chances of it working ZERO, but they'll probably make us put plates on the sides too!!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

California's politicians don't care about what the people want and haven't for years and years. It's all about money and power to them pure and simple. The laws they pass make them feel better and they'd rather waste their time worried about something stupid then to actually work on the really difficult issues.

They'll ban nukes in Berkley while gas passes $3 a gallon ... fiddle while Rome burns ...
Old 04-07-2005, 12:35 PM
domenic

This reminds me of my last ticket(s). I was in my cavalier and the idiot a$$hole Farmers Branch Police (you Dallas guys know what i'm talking about) pulled me over on Valley View Lane because I had no front plate. Truth is it was in my trunk because I took my front bumper off the week before to install my front-mount intercooler, but when I put the bumper back on I left the plate in the trunk, i just forgot about it. The officer asked me "Do you know its illegal to have no front plate? Why don't you have your front plate on?" I told him what happened and that it was in my trunk and he could look for himself. He didn't want to look. So I told him, "You must pull over a lot of Corvettes then huh?" The cop looked at me and said "No, why?"....I told him "Because they come with no front license plates right off the dealer lot". He looked at me with a pissed off face and walked back to his car to run my license. He gave me a ticket for no front plate....what an asshat.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:11 PM
FLZ_Boy

Originally Posted by LATEZ
FLZ BOY
I tried that ..plates on the back and vin sticker on the front..lasted 6 months before the local sheriff called me on it ...gave me a warning no tix
My tempt tags are good for another month. I'll just wait and see what happens. I can imagine how many officers/sherrifs it takes to take down a no front license plate car versus thieves breaking into houses. Only in California.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:22 PM
GregZ

No front plates in Louisiana
Old 04-07-2005, 08:43 PM
seanrulz

Front license plate? What is it? We get only 1 license plate when we register cars in Indiana, and it goes on the back, not front.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:09 PM
FLZ_Boy

Originally Posted by seanrulz
Front license plate? What is it? We get only 1 license plate when we register cars in Indiana, and it goes on the back, not front.

Don't worry, California will eventually become king of the flower laws and other states will follow.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:28 PM
fresno350

you know you only have to have two plates in california if you are ISSUED 2 plates. if you are issued one then you only need the back. i was only issued one plate for my Z, so i never put the front plate on. i guess you could probably tell a cop you were only issued one plate and he wouldnt know any better.

exerpt from the california dmv law:

Display of License Plates

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:51 PM
ironviet

no front plates in pennsylvania
Old 04-14-2005, 05:43 AM
zzz350

Fresburg,

Maybe they listed your Z as a truck tractor, teehee!
Old 04-14-2005, 06:37 AM
rdballer

CA has issued two plates for passenger vehicles (cars, vans, trucks, motor homes) for as long as I can remember (multiple decades). I know of only two types of vehicles in CA that get one plate issued and they are a motorcycle and a trailer. If you were "issued" only one plate then someone failed to deliver the required second plate to you. "Honest officer, I was only issued one plate". I don't know how well that would work when you are pulled over for a missing front plate.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:57 AM
RNL323
Mod My Ride

I've never put my front plate on. Been pulled over a couple of times, once for absolutly nothing, the other for speeding... No mention of the front plate at all. Instead I got a "so how do you like your car?" and a "must be hard to drive slow!".

The only time I got hit for a front plate was in San Francisco by my work. DPT (meter maids) hit me up for parking past 2 hours ($35) and no front plate which is $100. Can't really fight DPT tickets here. If you get a ticket from a SF cop for no plate, I think its a $15 fix-it-ticket.

I also live about 6 blocks from a police station so I pass cops head-on every morning and night, to and from work. No problems...Yet!