Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Break in period on new cars is a myth!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 03:06 PM
ATL350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MythralZ
were talkin about new engines here, like nissan engines, not your dad's 350 chevy small block. if you had metal shavings in your oil, and they all didnt go thru the oil filter, your service engine soon light would come on, ive got a friend w/ a celica who had that problem, so step into the 21 century buddy. buy the way, i support the break in theory, its just not true. they dont use break in oil anymore, or maybe they do on american cars, but not nissan's. ill get a letter from nissan, we'll see what they think about it wise guy.
Then you should make yourself clear. If you were only talking about the oil, then fine, you may be right. Your previous posts were close to incomprehensible to me, and gave me the impression that you were against break in entirely, not just the concept of "break-in oil".

when you can send your resume to nissan or any other co. for that matter, and they tell you to go get a loan for a dealership cuz we(nissan) want you to buy and run one, you let me know.
Yea, and my dad can beat up your dad. What is this, the argument of a 15 year old? Your opinion is valued here, but you can't come lay down the law without better arguments than this. I could care less if the guy is the senior VP of NNA. That doesn't mean that he knows anything other than marketing hype. Unless he is on the engineering team that does the design work, he does not have all the details and lives in a world of executive summaries.

Now there is no need for this to get ugly, so could you clearly define what your suggestion for break-in is? How did you break your Z in, for example?
Old 10-01-2002, 04:40 PM
SiGGy

Originally posted by MythralZ
were talkin about new engines here, like nissan engines, not your dad's 350 chevy small block. if you had metal shavings in your oil, and they all didnt go thru the oil filter, your service engine soon light would come on, ive got a friend w/ a celica who had that problem, so step into the 21 century buddy. buy the way, i support the break in theory, its just not true. they dont use break in oil anymore, or maybe they do on american cars, but not nissan's. ill get a letter from nissan, we'll see what they think about it wise guy.
1st im in the 21st century. I have twin turbo engine I'm working on now if that's any of your concern... :shrug: LOL, which I will break in. It will be near 700hp on pump gas.

My dads 350? LOL, how old are you?

You do realize the Corvette today has a 350 in it right? And a few other models... heh

And how about the BMW M3? guess thats a pretty bad engine right? Since it holds one of the best liter/CC to HP ratios. Which has a strick break in. Also I suppose Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, TVR are have on idea what they're doing too... Since they all require a break-in period too.

All cars need to be broken in. Cylinder walls, and cam arent ground/honed perfectly every time one is made. Which is the point of the breakin. To let everying seat/matchup correctly. If they don't you'll have odd wear on the parts...

Why do you talk about something you really don't understand? Your just repeating someone else words. Which you believe to be correct. I'm fine with that... But your arguing something out of your league. If it wasn't, you would have answers/arguments to my statements. Not smart replys...

Also you'll note most manufacturers don't suggest using synthetic oils during the breakin period. Ever wonder why?

And yes, I meant to look at the oil filter on the comparison. They weren't specific instructions. geeze. Just comparisons to show you, it really does make a difference in the longevity of the engine regardless of what you would like to believe.

Until nano technology becomes available. Engines will need to be broken in. As parts need to settle/match...

I do agree with you on your 750-1000 miles... That's plenty.

I did read above you still followed the break in schedule for your car... Interesting...

Anyway... cheers and good luck with your new Z
Old 10-01-2002, 04:46 PM
Boomer

Default Breakin

I just read the thread and sighed, the same argument rises again and again. Breakin on new cars built in the 21st century is not much different than before: Just don't beat the car up when every engine component is brand new, give it a few hundred miles or a 1000 or 1200 miles to work together.

There is no breakin oil used any more in new engines, maybe a few still adhere to this but I doubt it. Oil technology has made great strides in the last decades and bad stuff for the engine is held in suspension and not allowed to contact metal parts of the engine. You don't have to change the oil at 500, 1000, or until 3750 miles. If it makes you feel better about longevity, do it whenever you like as long as you don't exceed 7500 miles. 7500 miles! in Schedule 2 is ok to Nissan. They say so in their owner's manual in the maintenance schedule unless, the car is used hard, operated in hot weather, idle for long periods, etc. ad nauseum.

Every car I know of in an urban area is subjected to hard usage, therefore, change your oil at least every 3750 miles or sooner if you put fewer miles on it every 3 or 6 months. I would change it at 3 months if using a conventional mineral-based oil, 6 months if using a synthetic.

I will be following the Nissan breakin rec's mostly, because I haven't been able to take a road trip. I got the car on 9/6 and I have 196 miles on it! Talk about bummed! My wife has been sick, **** in my family, you know the drill. So, I have been running around town and occasionally on I35 to get miles on the car. I have not been "babying" it, but I have been more consevative than usual with a new car.

I guess what I have been trying to say is always be aware of how you are using the car, and change oil accordingly; the harder you use it, the more often you change the oil and filter. I add filter to every oil change because I refuse to leave any dirty oil in the engine. I have read many studies on how you don't need to change the filter more than every other oil change because modern oil will hold the bad stuff in suspension, but I don't care, I want the dirty oil out!

So much for logic, everyone I know has opinions and archaic practices. Hell, if I thought It would help, I'd have a WICCA Priestess bless the engine and mutter, "long life" which, if you think about it, we all have our rituals and we continue to cling to them , regardless of scientific data to the contrary.

Boomer Babble
Old 10-01-2002, 08:22 PM
brackethead

Wheee, this is fun!

Waaaaaaaahh---waaaaaaaaa.......

That's the sound of me driving my 350Z over to another thread.... I have 3500 miles, so it's anyone's guess what rpm I'm a-shiftin' at...
Old 10-02-2002, 06:19 AM
Boomer

Default myth

Originally posted by brackethead
Wheee, this is fun!

Waaaaaaaahh---waaaaaaaaa.......

That's the sound of me driving my 350Z over to another thread.... I have 3500 miles, so it's anyone's guess what rpm I'm a-shiftin' at...
With all those aaaaaaas, its gotta be 6250 in every gear.