Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Break in period on new cars is a myth!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 08:58 PM
brackethead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOT THIS AGAIN!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Everyone has an opinion on this topic, and everyone knows someone who knows what's best. I think everyone's right and no one's right. Use common sense and keep your fingers crossed. Sprinkle dried garlic on the engine shroud while keeping the rpm's between 2650 and 2900. Drive uphill but always skip 4th gear. Add 1 tsp of peanut butter to your oil at the first oil change...............

Horse is Dead. Stop Beating It.

Old 09-30-2002, 09:39 PM
ksj

Oh... I swear I didn't see the part in the manual about garlic and peanut butter... Aaarrrggghhh!!! When is that blasted service manual going to be available??? Can I just slather a little on now? Is it too late?

Just goes to show you can always miss something... Is that smell I thought was muffler paint really garlic and peanut butter???

Help! Here I thought I just carefully broke her in and I'm already finding unknown rituals.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:27 PM
NissaNZ

Even if Einstein jumped out of his grave and told us that break-in was useless people, including myself, would still do it since nobody wants to take a chance of screwing up a new car.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:00 AM
donnyz

well i bought a brand new civic si back in 2000 and in the manual it had a break in period. hmmm...not sure man. Ill be safe and break it in.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:49 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

nissan or any company would be required to notify you of a break in period, when was the last time you herd it from a dealer?
Doesn't Nissan "notify us" in the owners manual about this?

I bought a Jeep for my wife in July and the dealer told us about a 500 mile break-in (automatic transmission Jeep Wrangler).
Old 10-01-2002, 04:55 AM
Phi-1002-

Glad to hear you bought the Jeep Dr. Bonz.

How does your wife like it?
Old 10-01-2002, 05:03 AM
ATL350Z

Originally posted by MythralZ
nobody has had proof till now, just opinions. ill get that number up asap. nissan or any company would be required to notify you of a break in period, when was the last time you herd it from a dealer?

i laugh at the people who wait 3000 miles!!!!!!

Joey
From what you have said, it still seems to be opinion. Just because the opinion came from a low-level guy in Nissan doesn't make it any less an opinion. Bring me the team of engineers in Japan that built the engine and I won't call it opinion.

Also, the break-in period is printed in the manual so I think you could call that official notification. It wasn't scrawled onto a napkin and left under the visor.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:17 AM
WashUJon

Better to be safe than sorry, I always say. Being easy on the engine for the first 1000 - 1200 miles won't hurt anything.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:26 AM
Michael-Dallas

The owner's manual specifies the break-in procedure as a recommendation, not something required (i.e. read the words carefully). My question: why on page 5-17 does it state break-in period as 1200 miles and the second to last page (after the index) does it state break-in period as 1000 miles? I'd think if break-in was that necessary, then they'd at least get all the typos out...

Michael.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:40 AM
importriders

nobody has had proof till now, just opinions. ill get that number up asap. nissan or any company would be required to notify you of a break in period, when was the last time you herd it from a dealer?

i laugh at the people who wait 3000 miles!!!!!!

Joey
Its still sounds like hearsay to me. I wont call it proof till Nissan puts it in writing and I'm sure most people would agree.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:36 AM
ATL350Z

Let me point out that I am not here to suggest any particular break-in procedure, but am instead just pointing out that coming on here and telling me that because your uncle's brother's best friend knows someone who works for Nissan that you are "laughing at us" for following a break-in period is a little bold. What procedure did you follow on your Z?
Old 10-01-2002, 08:38 AM
SiGGy

OK

Your right...

The piston rings dont need to seat themselfs. They found a magical new way of doing it.

The cam's dont need to wear in properly...

Nor your brake pads...

I can keep going...

:P

Another sucker born every minute...

Just go and drive the hell out of it...
weeeeeeeeeeeeee..........

Last edited by SiGGy; 10-01-2002 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:24 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by SiGGy
OK

Your right...

The piston rings dont need to seat themselfs. They found a magical new way of doing it.

The cam's dont need to wear in properly...

Nor your brake pads...

I can keep going...

:P

Another sucker born every minute...

Just go and drive the hell out of it...
weeeeeeeeeeeeee..........
Amen.

LOL
Old 10-01-2002, 02:07 PM
SiGGy

im not gunna rag my car either, even if it had like 30000 miles on it. but the 3000 mile thing is ludacris i mean.... people put so much into breakin the car in, its just over kill, yeah, ill give it 500-1000 miles topps. dont even get me started on that man's integrity in the car business either. nissan considers him one of the top prospects for dealer relations in the U.S. he's far from low level.

when you can send your resume to nissan or any other co. for that matter, and they tell you to go get a loan for a dealership cuz we(nissan) want you to buy and run one, you let me know.

Joey
Ok...

Anyone who understands machining and building engines will HIGHLY disagree with your post.

Sorry, but the lifters, cams, piston, crank and cam bearings all must properly seat themselfs prior to being submitted to high RPMs.

Drain your fresh new oil after the car is new. Have it strained out. Wait until you see all of the metal debris in it.

Do this again on the second oil change... Guess what you'll see... Not nearly as much, if any at all.... if it was broken in correctly...

Sorry man, you have no idea what *your*talking about. If you want to believe him fine. Try what I said... then let me know what you think...

Also put in some time thinking about what those metal shavings will do to your engine if you go driving it at high RPMS. Also why don't you try drving a new engine hard on one car. Then in another car follow the breakin period stated in the MANUAL and compare a the metal deposits from both from the used oil...

anyway... You obviously have never worked or put time in a machine shop... or designing/building engines. Or you would disagree with this logic completely...

Or mabye you race and replace your engines many times a year and just don't care... :shrug:

Your ananlogy on this guy, is just wrong. And doens't apply to understanding building/breakin of an engine.
--

Granted I will say that with todays precision made parts. Breakin will mainly only effect the longevity of the engine. Of course that time periods depends on the drivers habbits.

Last edited by SiGGy; 10-01-2002 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Break in period on new cars is a myth!!!!