Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why is the Z's resale value so damn low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 11:12 AM
z053ym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A SIDE QUESTION: Does the G or the Z have a higher resale? I would assume very similar depreciationl but does anybody know?
Old 04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by D_Nyholm
Just buy a Gcoupe, they have been rated as having the highest resale by a few companies.

http://www.alg.com/news-information....e=news_alg_rva

11.10.2003 - Automotive Lease Guide

AUTOMOTIVE LEASE GUIDE (ALG) ANNOUNCES FIFTH ANNUAL RESIDUAL VALUE AWARDS FOR THE TOP SEGMENT LEADERS AND BRAND RESIDUAL VALUE AWARDS .....

Nissan North America Inc. is the winner of this year's Sports Segment award for the 350Z.

Summary of 2004 Residual Value Award Winners

BRAND AWARDS
BRAND
Industry Brand Residual Value Award American Honda Motor Company, Inc.
Luxury Brand Residual Value Award BMW of North America, LLC

SEGMENT AWARDS

VEHICLES
Compact Car MINI Cooper
Midsize Car Honda Accord
Sports Car Nissan 350Z
Near Luxury Car Lexus ES330
Luxury Car Mercedes-Benz CLK
Minivan Honda Odyssey
Compact SUV* Honda CR-V
Midsize SUV** Toyota 4Runner
Fullsize SUV Toyota Sequoia
Compact Truck Toyota Tacoma
Fullsize Truck Toyota Tundra
CUV*** Honda Pilot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Compact SUV segment has replaced last year's Sub Compact SUV segment.
**Midsize SUV segment has replaced last year's Compact SUV segment.
***CUV Segment new this year.

Based in Santa Barbara, California, Automotive Lease Guide is a privately held company that has been forecasting automotive residual values for over 35 years in both the US and Canadian markets.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:15 PM
D_Nyholm

Hmm, i was almost positive that ALG had the G coupe as highest resale value....actually 99.9% sure. I guess a different segment. I guess that is why people are still getting over 30K for a 34-35K car with 12K mile son it!!
Old 04-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Zcarnut

The Z you pick makes a difference on resale too. I work at a dealer and checked the latest book values. Base and Enthusiast are worth about 2k from each other (as they are new). The Touring and Track models however are NOT worth 3-4k more than a Enthusiast.

If resale is important,id get a Enthusiast (Hell buy the Nissan leather seat covers for $700 before trading and tell the dumb dealer its a Touring model...They wont know what to look for..Especially a few years from now).
Old 04-27-2004, 06:38 PM
charliemike

Originally posted by marhot
Frankly, the Z does not deprecate any more than “normal”.

You should not have even bought a new car if you plan to sale it within 3 years or so. (IMHO) If you don't plan on keeping it for over 3 years you need to look at leasing. (But leasing has it’s own set of problems)

A car loses 15 percent to 20 percent of its value each year. A 2-year-old car will be worth 80 to 85 percent of its 1-year-old value. A 3-year-old car will be worth roughly 80 to 85 percent of its 2-year-old value.

The more cars that are sold new, the lower the resale value as there is a bigger supply of used cars. Nissan sold the hell out of the Z in the 2003 MY.

Also, some American cars like Pontiac have lost upwards of 50% of their MSRP in the first 18 months due to a glut of used cars on the market and high rebates on new cars.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:04 PM
marhot

Originally posted by charliemike
Also, some American cars like Pontiac have lost upwards of 50% of their MSRP in the first 18 months due to a glut of used cars on the market and high rebates on new cars.
Right...

American cars are a different story. They (especially GM) are such POS, they depreciate about 50% each YEAR, LOL.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:55 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not to start a G35c vs 350z thread, but the G35c has one of the highest resale value currently, but the 350z also has high resale for its segment. It's also true that once you drive it off the lot, you've already lost value and most depreciation happens in the first year.

G35c is in the ALG 5-star resale rating

350z is in the ALG 4-star rating

KBB best resale values

If you're going to keep your car for a long time, then don't worry about resale value.

The 350z is the best selling sports car in the US. I don't believe that helps resale value.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:11 PM
cwerdna

Originally posted by xswl0931
The 350z is the best selling sports car in the US. I don't believe that helps resale value. [/B]
UGH! I hear that SO many times from so many different places, yet it isn't true! I don't know where those #s come from and why it seems like some magazines like perpetuating the myth. The Mustang FAR outsells the Z. YTD, Ford has sold 36,339 Mustangs in the US vs. Nissan selling 8,143 350Zs.

Also, year to date, the Corvette is slightly outselling the Z, which wasn't true last year.

URLs w/supporting info:
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/187428.html
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/187460.html
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/187450.html
Old 04-28-2004, 04:29 AM
marhot

Originally posted by cwerdna
UGH! I hear that SO many times from so many different places, yet it isn't true! I don't know where those #s come from and why it seems like some magazines like perpetuating the myth. The Mustang FAR outsells the Z. YTD, Ford has sold 36,339 Mustangs in the US vs. Nissan selling 8,143 350Zs.

Also, year to date, the Corvette is slightly outselling the Z, which wasn't true last year.
You are correct.

Nissan is selling Zs as fast as they can make them. I love the fact that the Z is relatively a rare car. I actually wish Nissan’s production run for the Z was less.

One of the things I like about the Z is the fact you don’t see them at every stoplight, like Corvettes. I live in the suburbs of KC and I rarely see more than 1 or 2 Zs a week.

Remember; not many = good.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:44 AM
Zcarnut

I dont consider Mustangs as being sports cars. The sports car sales number people obviously dont either as its not included on the lists.
Last I saw the Vette did outdo the Z last month but theres a couple reasons for that:

1) Incentives,rebates,and interest rate deals

2) People who hate the 05' Vette or want a Convertable/Z06 are out buying now.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:45 AM
marhot

Originally posted by Zcarnut
Last I saw the Vette did outdo the Z last month but theres a couple reasons for that:

1) Incentives,rebates,and interest rate deals

2) People who hate the 05' Vette or want a Convertable/Z06 are out buying now.
Right. The dealers are having fire sales on 'Vettes right now. The dealers don't want any C5s on the lot when the C6s arrive.