Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why is the Z's resale value so damn low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Reb1281

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the Z's resale value so damn low?

KBB states that my Z has a private party worth of 28,000. I've seen them selling on ebay for sub 25,000. Brand new track models have been selling for sub 30,000. I love this car, but it's starting to seem like it was a very bad investment. Sorry for this rant, but I had to get it out of my system.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:52 AM
KingofScion

Cars are not investments,

Remember the price difference has to be big enough to so someone who cannot afford the new one will settle for a used one.

Omer.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:12 AM
RacerX68

Exactly. An investment is something that you expect to increase in value. A new car depreciates in value. Hence a new car is not an investment.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:15 AM
Reb1281

I understand what you are saying. The mileage is 5200, and I'd have a hard time selling it for over 25,000. That's a big loss, and I don't understand how such a great car would suffer in value. The window grease and alignment problems must have had a bigger impact than expected. It's not an investment such as real estate. Still, the depreciation shocked me.

Last edited by Reb1281; 04-25-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:33 AM
mlam002

from what I've learned in life... a car is NOT an investment..it is a liability. You lose not matter what. You lose the minute you drive off of the lot with your new car and you will continue to lose as time goes on.

you want returns on your investments, go buy real estate.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Masterfulks

They had a used Enthusiast model at my local dealership with like 15k miles on it. They wanted 29k for it...That is really overpriced I think, but they also wanted something like 29500 OTD for a base model (all their Z's had a markup on them, and that includes about 600 in tax savings from my trade in).

I would need to save upwards of around 20 to 25% to by a used 1 year old car, and it would need to have pretty low miles. Even then, being a sports car I probably still wouldnt do it.

Classic cars can be an investment, and even then you can end up dropping more money into them than you would ever get out...
Old 04-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Reb1281

Originally posted by mlam002
from what I've learned in life... a car is NOT an investment..it is a liability. You lose not matter what. You lose the minute you drive off of the lot with your new car and you will continue to lose as time goes on.

you want returns on your investments, go buy real estate.
I'm 21, and learning. Older gentleman on these forums tend to provide useful information. I've learned a lot. Cars are liabilities as you've stated. I'm sorry I used the term investment(bonds, stock market, real estate). I thought that it related to all things money-wise. See, I've just learned something new. Take care.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:19 PM
zeroday

hey i have an idea how bout people on this board stop bitching so god damn much. i swear it's like some people here have never bought a new car before. all i see is ***** ***** ***** *****. just shut up already.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:23 PM
zeroday

Default Re: Why is the Z's resale value so damn low?

Originally posted by Reb1281
KBB states that my Z has a private party worth of 28,000. I've seen them selling on ebay for sub 25,000. Brand new track models have been selling for sub 30,000. I love this car, but it's starting to seem like it was a very bad investment. Sorry for this rant, but I had to get it out of my system.
find me one NEW track model selling under 30k??
Old 04-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Taya

Default Car is not an investment but hei, wait a minute

I think the guy does not mean that the car is indeed an investment, but I was also concerned about the prices drop on that car. So I made a quick check. I went by the local dealer that I got the car at, a very nice group of people, and I got a pretty good deal on the car when I bought it, MSRP. Well, I simply went into talking to them to buy my car since I am about to leave the country... Guess what. They offered me 25K on the spot. It is still over 6K off MSRP but if that is the trade in value, I guess it can be sold for 1-2K above that, private?
Old 04-25-2004, 02:02 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

Originally posted by zeroday
hey i have an idea how bout people on this board stop bitching so god damn much. i swear it's like some people here have never bought a new car before. all i see is ***** ***** ***** *****. just shut up already.
Jesus...
Old 04-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Dustin4u

Wow Zeroday...why not just post if you have such a bad attitute?
Mods really should ban these type of guys to make this place better.

Expect your car to lose at least $3,000 a year, every year.
Not to mention there is no re-sale on mods.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:28 PM
z053ym

Forbes predicted the 350Z as the highest sportscar resale value not too long ago.. DO A SEARCH there were threads on it. The one year drop for popular sports cars is always big.

--And cars can be investments... I know a guy who's had 4 SL55 AMG's because he has been reselling for MUCH more money than he purchased. If you have the money to begin with and the connections/order early enough, a (rare)car can be an investment.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:19 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by Dustin4u
Wow Zeroday...why not just post if you have such a bad attitute?
Mods really should ban these type of guys to make this place better.
AttituTe? Hablas Engles? I did just post....so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe the mods should ban illiterates?

I come here for mod info for my car period and I help others who are seeking the same. The constant complaining that goes on here is pathetic....like a bunch of whiney little girls.

Seems to me alot of people bought the Z that can't afford it; hence the rediculous expectations and constant complaining.

Flame away!
Old 04-25-2004, 04:27 PM
G35MiXeD
Banned

Ok where and what are the admins of this site doing? how come Zeroday is still on this site? NONE i mean NONE of his posts have been helpful. All he does it "***** ***** *****" <~yea thaz right zeroday, ur the one that's doing all the BITCHING.

Admins should take a look at ALL zeroday's reply and then ban him once and for all.

he's realli getting under everyone's skin
Old 04-25-2004, 04:32 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by G35MiXeD
Ok where and what are the admins of this site doing? how come Zeroday is still on this site? NONE i mean NONE of his posts have been helpful. All he does it "***** ***** *****" <~yea thaz right zeroday, ur the one that's doing all the BITCHING.

Admins should take a look at ALL zeroday's reply and then ban him once and for all.

he's realli getting under everyone's skin
I've helped PLENTY of people on this site with their mods so there are alot of people here that would disagree with you. You apparently still have a bone to pick with me since our last argument so i'll dismiss your post for what it is; bitter propaganda.

besides the search doesn't work so nobody will be searching for anything. LOL.

Last edited by zeroday; 04-25-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:53 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why is the Z's resale value so damn low?

Originally posted by Reb1281
Hey Reb,
Just something to think about....If you look at the depreciation of most cars on a graph, it's a shallowing curve. If the rate of depreciation were constant, the car would be worth almost nothing by the time most people with 60 or 72 month loans pay them off. So the rate will slow over the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. years. Edumunds.com has anticipated that the Z will depreciate 9K in the first 5 years, it will do over half of this in the first year. Don't sweat this stuff. Unless you plan on having another 30+K to spend on yet another new car in the next few years, just enjoy your Z and realize that even5 years from now, most cars on the road won't be able to touch it.

See ya!

And hey, don't sweat the haters, either. Your concern is a common one, and your post was justified. Guys who've been on the forum for awhile have seen some really dumb posts, but yours isn't one of them.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:27 PM
marhot

Frankly, the Z does not deprecate any more than “normal”.

You should not have even bought a new car if you plan to sale it within 3 years or so. (IMHO) If you don't plan on keeping it for over 3 years you need to look at leasing. (But leasing has it’s own set of problems)

A car loses 15 percent to 20 percent of its value each year. A 2-year-old car will be worth 80 to 85 percent of its 1-year-old value. A 3-year-old car will be worth roughly 80 to 85 percent of its 2-year-old value.

When purchasing the car, you paid a retail price -- the price a dealer charges for a car. As soon as you're off the lot, the car is worth its wholesale price, the amount a dealer would be willing to pay for a car should you turn around and head back.

So a brand-spanking-new car loses thousands of dollars of value as soon as you drive it home. (As you have discovered) Whatever money you spent on taxes and licensing is gone for good as well.

My .02; if you want a new car every 2 years or so, check into leasing. If depreciation really bothers you, buy used, and let someone else eat the deprecation.

My advice; take care of your Z & keep it as long as you can. Enjoy it, the Z is a FUN car. You are fortunate, at your age, to have such a fine car. (I consider MYSELF fortunate to have a Z. I am truly blessed.) And QUIT READING WANT ADS FOR Zs, just go for a drive tonight and ENJOY your Z.

Peace
Old 04-25-2004, 07:14 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15% off the lot is typical, so thats 3500 right there.

depreciation is greatest in the first year.

also the economy sucks.

and dont judge resale value based on ebay. anyone that sells a car on ebay is a fool; they always go for under what they should.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:07 AM
D_Nyholm

Just buy a Gcoupe, they have been rated as having the highest resale by a few companies.

Quick Reply: Why is the Z's resale value so damn low?