Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 04:27 PM
hyuk81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z in the snow?

did anyone try using snow chains? I really want this car... but if it snows I can't afford to not have a car...
Old 04-30-2004, 04:38 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This car bites in the snow. I dont know about snow chains or Blizzacks, but stock its the worst car ive ever been in in the snow. I live in NC and driving to work this winter after the snow just started falling (not even a dusting on the road yet) i was spinning like crazy. I was passed by a Corvette who didnt seem like was having half the problem. I just bought a Cherokee Laredo 4x4 for $2500 this week. Im set for next winter.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:46 PM
MyZ4U2C

Oh yeah, when i was having problems in the snow this past winter, i dropped a few psi out of the back tires (not too much) and then placed 200 pounds of free weights in the "trunk". It made a big difference, but i'd still get an old beater to drive in stuff like that if i were you. If you live in a snowy area, you dont want that salt sludge corroding the under carriage of your car anyway. Just my 2 Cents.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:24 PM
noel48

Some people here have Blizzaks LM-22's.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:38 PM
hyuk81

do the blizzaks make a big difference?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:34 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by hyuk81
do the blizzaks make a big difference?
I used Blizzak LM-22's this winter, and I thought they were awesome. I only had 2 occasions where I was caught in a snowstorm this winter, and the Blizzaks handled it with ease both times. Being that it's RWD car, you'll still have to drive very carefully, but even so, you're a hundred times better off with them than without. An acquaintance of mine drove his Z on the stock tires through an entire New England winter, and from what he told me, it's just too dangerous to be worthwhile.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:36 PM
HEUGE
Charter Member #40

I guess the search feature isn't working right now.

Blizzak WS-50's are my solution for winter driving. They worked fantasticly this winter. Check out my friend's driveway covered in snow. She told me that I shouldn't pull in, but no problem for the Blizzaks. The tread on the 225/50/17 and 225/55/17's seem to be more AGGRESSIVE than the smaller diameter versions. The spacing between tread blocks is better than my previous MZ-01's and they are able to better clear out the packed snow.

WS-50's are the solution.
Attached Thumbnails 350z in the snow?-img_7740-640x480.jpg  
Old 04-30-2004, 06:59 PM
marhot

Default Re: 350z in the snow?

Originally posted by hyuk81
did anyone try using snow chains? I really want this car... but if it snows I can't afford to not have a car...
My advice is to buy a beater. Instead of buying a set of tires, buy a $800 POS.
My Z was in the garage, climate controlled, nice and warm at 72 degrees, when it snowed this winter.

Driving a Z in bad weather is only half of the problem. Even with good tires there are other things to be concerned with.

First, I don’t want all that road grime, salt, chemicals, etc. on my Z, or under it. There will always be some part of the car you won’t be able to wash. Just the thought of all that crap under my car, even after it’s washed & waxed, makes me sick.

Secondly, you have to watch out for the idiots in SUVs. Many of them think just because they have good traction they can stop well too. I’ve seen several bad accidents involving SUVs, and I don’t want one hitting my Z. It seems the Z is a moron magnet. I’ve seen too many posts of morons hitting Zs. You might be an excellent bad weather driver but there are too many morons out there driving.

Good luck out there, next winter, but my Z stays at home in bad weather.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:14 PM
hyuk81

Unhappy

it's either the 200hp mini cooper S, or the 350z... I know that there is no comparison in the summer but I just can't afford to not have a car... I'm gonna be going to school full time and working full time... and I used to like in vancouver, canada, so I have lots of winter driving experience... but I never had a car like the 350z... what a dilema... I like the Mini cooper as well and it's great in the snow... actually it's amazing... this really sucks...
maybe I'll put up an internet poll or something...

thanks guys...
Old 04-30-2004, 07:32 PM
hyuk81

check this out...

http://www.thelivingoods.com/mini/Sn.../WinterFun.avi
Old 04-30-2004, 09:40 PM
CaptinB

What about a WRX or something? I bet that thing rocks in the snow, but I'd not be caught dead in that thing. It's a beast under the hood, but it looks like a beast OUTSIDE the hood.

CaptinB
Old 04-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Silverstone_350

I bought my Z last June thinking I would just drive it in the winter here in wisconsin... but then it hit me that I wouldn't want any of the salt touching my car at all. I guess I got lucky cuz I found a POS '89 celica for $450 to use in the winter.

I say get the Z and a POS...
Old 05-01-2004, 04:20 AM
hyuk81

how about the g35... is it the same story as the 350z in the snow? or is it better? worse?
Old 05-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Dustin4u

People are too ****.
Get winter tires and drive in the snow.

Any rust will take 10 years to form. I'm sure like most people you will have a new car in 6-7 years anyways.

Think of a 1997 sports car....old and not impressive. Z will be the same.
Upgrade time.

Corrasion...give me a break. Get rustproofed and no worries.

A 350 with snow tires is like a regular car with all seasons on them.

If theres a blizzard outside...be smart and take bus...but other then that....
Old 05-01-2004, 01:49 PM
hyuk81

Originally posted by Dustin4u
People are too ****.
Get winter tires and drive in the snow.

Any rust will take 10 years to form. I'm sure like most people you will have a new car in 6-7 years anyways.

Think of a 1997 sports car....old and not impressive. Z will be the same.
Upgrade time.

Corrasion...give me a break. Get rustproofed and no worries.

A 350 with snow tires is like a regular car with all seasons on them.

If theres a blizzard outside...be smart and take bus...but other then that....

that's true... I was going to get it coated on the bottom anyway... I wasn't concerned about salt blah blah blah... just wanted to know if it's driveable in the snow... with common sense of course...
Old 05-01-2004, 04:22 PM
MyZ4U2C

If you're gonna get rid of the car in a couple years i wouldnt sweat it. Im gonna keep mine for a long time i think which is why i bought a car cover for it and a Jeep Cherokee 4x4 to drive in the rain or snow. I have a feeling that down the road, the first year release of the 5th generation Z car that is in immaculate condition with low miles may fetch some decent return $$.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:47 PM
hyuk81

Originally posted by MyZ4U2C
If you're gonna get rid of the car in a couple years i wouldnt sweat it. Im gonna keep mine for a long time i think which is why i bought a car cover for it and a Jeep Cherokee 4x4 to drive in the rain or snow. I have a feeling that down the road, the first year release of the 5th generation Z car that is in immaculate condition with low miles may fetch some decent return $$.
well... I plan on keeping the car for a long time as well. and I'm gonna go to school at automotive training center... it's the #1 school for auto mechanics in the US and I'm gonna be working for Nissan as well... so I'll know how to take care of my car... I don't mind spending lots of time maintaining the car... and modifying...
Old 05-01-2004, 10:02 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MyZ4U2C
Oh yeah, when i was having problems in the snow this past winter, i dropped a few psi out of the back tires (not too much) and then placed 200 pounds of free weights in the "trunk". It made a big difference, but i'd still get an old beater to drive in stuff like that if i were you. If you live in a snowy area, you dont want that salt sludge corroding the under carriage of your car anyway. Just my 2 Cents.
sorry man, but worst advise ever.

you do not want to let any air out of your tires. that increases your contact patch which is the OPPOSITE of what you want.

the Z bites and its 80% cause it has 225 and 245 tread(and being potenzas doesnt help) put those tires on any car, and it will suck. they ride over the snow like skis, but you want to cut through the now down to the pavement.

thinner tires are what is needed(and definitly not flat ones!).

clearance isnt huge, if theres 5" of whatever on the road, your gonna be dragging, 6 or 7 and your bumpers gonna be plowing.

but a normal dusting, get some blizzaks and youll be just as capable as any other RWD car.

whats up top makes no difference, the tires and the pavement dont care if you have 3000lbs of 2 seater sports car of 3000lbs of ford taurus.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:51 PM
DrVolkl

When I was younger, I had a '96 mustang GT (5spd)...I used to live in Buffalo, NY, and that was the only ride I had...so yeah, I drove it in the snow. I simply bought blizzak's and some 15" steel rims and away I went...even went to the ski hills with it.

The car was AWESOME. I even passed SUV's and snow plows with it...and this was without any stability/traction control.

The only issue with the Z is the ground clearence. The stang sat a little higher...but with a set of Blizzacks, you'll be fine. They really do rock.

Now, on a side note, I would not reccomend buying a 30k car and then saying you can't afford a $2k 4wd beater for the winter, because quite frankly, you should.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:50 AM
MASTERPLAU

my Z has will never see snow again and after a close call with black ice. she only brought out in nice weather.

Quick Reply: 350z in the snow?