Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Test drove a Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:53 PM
rockinbboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove a Z

I had intended to test drive an RX-8. Sales guy tells me that they don't have any to test unless I was ready to make a deal

I look over next door at the Nissan dealer and he asks me if I was looking for other cars and I said the Z. The idiot tells me to check it out but to come back to him after test driving one and he'd have the best one for last....

Ok..first he tells me no RX-8 to test drive and now suddenly he is willing to let me test drive one after I drive the Z. hahaha..right..he probably doesn't realize the difference in TQ is 130 to say the least. Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys.............

Black Z. 2004. Touring edition. Automatic. I'd test out a stick but I don't have much exp with stick and definetly didn't want to stall from a dig. I took her out. My first time in a Z and I get to drive it. Very sweet. I floored her and it goes. BTW, I drive a 4 banger 92 camry...so its a good feel of difference. Anywho.. felt guilty after that only because she was bone stock and probably still under break in period (don't remember the milage...especially since '04 edition). I did get a chance to play with the manushift. Seems pretty flexible as far as letting me shift when I wanted. I liked how the gauge would tell me what gear I was in when shifting. I did like the gages and the overall interior appeal. The exhaust note.....man...its so awesome hearing it even from within the car. I have been eyein' the Z but never got around to test one or really consider getting it because...I prefer 4 seats over 2. I am the kind of person that just would have at least 3 people with me esp if I am goin' about and stuff. Thus..why I wanted to check out the RX-8. None the less, it was definetly and impressive car. If anything I am keeping a closer eye on the model if I was suddently gonna get serious about purchasing a car.

So afterward, I went back to the mazda dealership, but the guy was not there. I looked and none of his buddy sale friends offer any help much less ask me if I was looking for anyone. I didn't see him so I left. As I drove past the dealer I saw him, and I waved at him and he gave me the look and waved back at me. lol..i know he recognized me so that wasn't the question. As I past and looked in my rear view mirror I could see they were all talkin' and look at my car and trying to figure out what happend and I noticed one of the sales guys giving him a thumbs down to him. hahah..my only guess on what that meant was, "He drove that Z and after that probably thought <thumbs down action> screw the the RX-8!!".

LOL.

NOW guys..serious questions:

1. I want manual. How many of you learned shifting on your Z. I have very little experience driving a stick. I know the mechanics but the big problem I have is just getting out of 1st gear...

2. Which version comes with the HIDs? I want the crisp blue lights. I am too lazy to do a search/research

3. How much did you pay for your Z? Sticker price for the test drive version (tour) was $35k

4. How annoying is having 2 seats...BE HONEST....

5. What do you hate about the Z? Everyone has something they don't like.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Test drove a Z

It's pure heaven.....I hate lugging people around.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:07 PM
peterhong

There are quite a few differences between the Base, Enthusiast, Performance, Touring and Track. Do a thorough search on the web or at nissanusa.com. I have a Touring and it is the only model that comes with Leather. I also have Nav (which isn't available on all models) and I have heated seats (Touring Only) and power seats.

I used to own a 93 RX-7 and was very disappointed with the RX-8. I just don't get that suicide door, it makes it look kinda like a Saturn. I guess I'll just wait til the new RX-7 comes out in a few years. But seriously, the Z is a much better looking car IMO and the performance specs are tip-top. It doesn't suck having 2 seats, especially since there is a fully functional trunk in the Z (at least the Coupe that is vs. the Roadster).

If you are serious about the Z, do some research on the web and on this forum. Make sure you get the model you want and the features you want. DO NOT pay over MSRP for the Z. Expect to get at least $500-$1000 off MSRP. Try to locate one in or around your area, cause if you go the special order route, expect to wait about 3 months to get the car. Hope this helps in your decision and if you do get a Z, welcome to the my350z family.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:11 PM
CaptinB

Ok here goes:

If you are looking for four seats, Check out the infinity G35. It's a four seat Z basically. Nicer interior, and a little nicer ride. The Subaru WRX is a REALLY fast 4-door car, but it's ugly as sin as far as I'm concerned. All wheel drive and 300HP and 300lb Ft of TQ is pretty bad *** (I might be a bit off on those numbers, but I know it's higher than the Z). RX-8 I don't care for the looks, and I've heard the engine had / has some issues. I also believe that you need to get it up into the higher RPM range before it really starts to make power, just like the S2000.

1. I hear the Z is kinda tough to learn stick on. Most dealers will teak you how to drive stick on some beater if you are considering a Z. Just go in and tell them I want a 6sp Z, but I'm not greate with a manual tranny. Personally, I have the auto and love it. Some people on here have complained about issues with their manual tranny, but I'd not say EVERYONE has a problem. Just some.

2. The Enthusiast is the best value (one up from base). The four key things it has over the base model are :
A. LSD (Limited Slip Differential)
B. HID's
C. Cruise Control
D. Homelink (Built in garage door opener)

3. My 2004.5 Enthuisast Automatic was $29,500 out the door. I think I should have gotten it for $29K but I don't care. I love the car. I would have paid $32Kin a minute

4. I'm a single guy. Two seats works great for me. One seat for a date, and plenty of room for grocery's in the back without obstructing rear view. The only downside is if I want to go out with more than 1 friend. We have to take two cars. Oh well. I'm not their personal driver. There is usually a discussion about who gets to ride with me though!

5. The rear view is kinda small. I've gotten used to it though. I used to have a 4-door car and could easily see out the back. With the Z, it's a lot more like a slit, and less like a window.

Man that took a long time to type! I hope that was helpful!

CaptinB
Old 05-04-2004, 10:40 PM
DiRN

You know, answering everyone's questions for the thousandth time was all fine and dandy when the search was busted, but now that it works, why are we encouraging this?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:12 AM
Sly_Z

Why would you want a back seat in a sports car. Eliminate question #4
Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 AM
elyliu

1. I drove a manual for 4 years. And jumping into the Z, I still had problems getting 1st gear smooth. I believe the brand new cluth is a bit grabbier. I test drove a used Z the same day I bought my new one, and that clutch was much more forgiving. There's really no way to really "KNOW" how to drive stick with a couple hours practice on a different car anway. Just buy the Z w/ stick.

3. I paid $46k out the door. I have a 04 touring roadster with all the options and a 5yr extended warrenty.

4. I don't mind it at all. It's perfect fitting me and my girlfriend. I usually go hang out w/ a large group of people anyway.

5. Getting too much attention?
Blind spot is bad with top up and around slow areas like parking lots. On the road is ok, if you adjust your mirrors right, a car will have problems hiding in the blind spot.
And it'd be nice if I can raise and lower my top at any driving speed, but no convertable can do that. So I am ok with that.
The HIDs could be bluer (more like the audis)
Interior could have more "soft-touch" material.
And a glove box for the roadster might be nice too.

But all these problems are minor. I love my car.

ELY
Old 05-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Sly_Z

How much are the track models going for in CA? 46k, It seems a bit high.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Masterfulks

1. You gotta learn sometime, you might as well learn in style.
Find a big open parking lot and do your best. The dealership should help you. The hardest part will be starting off. Once you get that down the rest is simple. It's all simple really....I could not see owning the Z in an automatic unless I wanted it just for riding. Personally, I just think the 6speeds are way too much fun to give up.

2. Enthusiast model and up..

3. I paid around 29k for my loaded Enthusiast

4. 2 seats are awesome. If you dont need to transport a lot of kids in it, then I see no reason why I need extra seats. It makes it extra sporty and gives me a better feeling of being one with car to have 2 seats. Its a cockpit and not a tourbus.

5. The biggest drawback has to be the visibilitty out of the rear. You'll find you have two decent sized blind spots. Yet these will be overcome with proper mirror placement and smart driving. It just takes a little more getting used to than a regular car, but this is no regular car, its a 350Z....
Old 05-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Vash350Z

the Z's stick is a little tricky, took me about a day of driving around to master it, and ive been driving stick since i was 16, im 19 now
Old 05-05-2004, 04:06 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

If you can walk & chew gum at the same time, you can drive a stick. I taught my 19 year old son to drive a stick on my Z without any damage to the Z.

I would not own a two seater if it was my only car but your choice.

The only thing I find annoying about the Z is rear visability......particularly in backing out of spaces in parking lots.

A "street" deal on a Z is MSRP. But lots of folk have bought at 1g to 2gs under MSRP.

For what each model has go to the Nissan site. Enthuisiast is most bang for buck (including the HIDs).
Old 05-05-2004, 04:11 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I always thought the Z's manual was fairly easy to drive. Of course, my other manual is a 79 CJ5 with a heavy clutch and a granny first gear...
Old 04-15-2006, 08:15 PM
rockinbboy

BUMP!

ha! Just did a search for another thread and ended up finding this by accident. Ahhh..memories. My first Z drive....wow..that was almost 2 years ago. Damn, I sound like such a noob....and I been a member since June 03. lol..wtf. Let me answer my own questions:

1. I want manual. How many of you learned shifting on your Z. I have very little experience driving a stick. I know the mechanics but the big problem I have is just getting out of 1st gear...
Yes, the Z was a lil tricky to drive than most other manuals, but that is because of the engagement point. However, the Z is much more forgiving than most other cars as some members have addressed. 1st gear is a breeze once you know the basics. Uphills...not an issue anymore

2. Which version comes with the HIDs? I want the crisp blue lights. I am too lazy to do a search/research
Idiot...Enthusiast. Didn't I know this?

3. How much did you pay for your Z? Sticker price for the test drive version (tour) was $35k
F##K if know about the other trims. All I know is Enthusiast cost me $27.6k invoice

+1 with Brickyard's comment. 2 seats are fine for me, especially since I have my faithful camry

Extra weight...less TQ..but they don't bother me so much. Just what I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:17 PM
lex350

No more questions, just buy the Z
Old 04-15-2006, 08:21 PM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by lex350
No more questions, just buy the Z
dude....no comment...
Old 04-15-2006, 08:28 PM
rockinbboy

error

Last edited by rockinbboy; 04-15-2006 at 08:28 PM. Reason: posted twice by accident
Old 04-15-2006, 10:14 PM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
Extra weight...less TQ..but they don't bother me so much. Just what I can think of off the top of my head.
Say what?
The Z has 274 ft.lb(Auto) or 270 ft.lb(Manual Rev-Up) of torque
RX-8 has 159 ft.lb of torque which is 114 LESS.

I have driven the RX-8 and it feels like a civic in low rpms cuz it is so torque-less.
In my opinion RX-8 is a disgrace to the RX name, and what they should be
doing is bringing out the new RX-7 in near future.

One has to be stupid to choose RX-8 over Z, unless 4 seats are needed.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:19 PM
gsazabi

Just realized this thead was 2 years old

On your answer #5, I'm assuming you answered about 06 having
more weight and less torque than previous year Z's...correct?

Well, I still think RX-8 is a disgrace to RX line
Old 04-15-2006, 11:16 PM
181 BluZ

I learned stick on my Z... it was an interesting experence... In the beginning I was really mad at myself for being such a horrible driver in such a nice car... after a few weeks I manage to drive the Z fairly smoothly... It mostly takes time and practice... Once you get the hang of driving it... it is the best thing in the world... besides pop tarts

Also having two seats is sometimes a really good thing and sometimes the worst thing ever... Like when your going out with some friends its hard for you because you only have two seats and all... But then there are times when you just have stupid friends who want to ride your car and you have a nice excuse to say no... Overall I would rather have more seats...

And yes the RX-8 is a disgrace... I'd pick the RX-7 over the RX-8 anyday...
2 year old thread?....
Old 04-16-2006, 06:55 AM
supermuff

while waiting to buy a rx-8 i test drove a Z. Who makes the rx-8 again?

Quick Reply: Test drove a Z