Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dealer Scratched my wheels during alignment!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 09:38 AM
synth19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Scratched my wheels during alignment!!!

So I brought the car in today for an alignment and for new front tires. I told the manager: "I know you guys do excellent work here, but please be careful not to scratch my wheels and also be careful about the Tire Pressure Sensors." The manager called me and told me that they were extra careful, but they still SCRATCHED my wheels (My stock 18" Ray's) He's sending them out to get the scratches removed/refinished. Is this an acceptable remedy? Will this take care of the problem, any possible flaking in the future or anything? PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2004, 09:42 AM
themyst

well, if the wheels look good as new, i wouldn't be concerned. keep in mind that all the z wheels are paint finished, meaning that they are susceptible to chipping and flaking even from road debris.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:48 AM
synth19

^ tru..tru... Guys, make sure you inspect the wheels BEFORE AND AFTER an alignment with the sales manager.... I hope this doesnt happen to anyone else.... I guess I'll be happy if they do the job right, just sux that I wont have the car for the weekend...
Old 05-07-2004, 09:59 AM
spitfirez

I've been hearing a lot this happening when people bring their Zs in for tire changes and alignments. Usually it happens when they don't have the proper equipment. Now I'm worried about bringing my Z to the dealership for an alignment.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Burrito06

That's where I am lucky when I need this work done Ill just take it to my friend and we can do the work at his shop so if they scratch it will be my fault. I don't like any of my prized possessions in the hands of another person.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Z_Coaster

yup, been there, done that here as well.

When they did refinish my wheels, either they didn't clean off all the brake dust before applying the finish, or didn't wait long enough before driving. There is brake dust perminently bonded to the finish on the inside of the wheel. Not sure if the dust is on or in the finish itself. Since it is on the inside of the wheel and it's the crappy stock (non-Rays) wheels, I didn't fuss. But I would have stressed if they were Rays.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:36 AM
mark350

Man....sorry to hear about your wheels. The dealership curbed one of my Track Rays a while ago and I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to get me a new one. When they mounted the new one on the car the dumb *** mechanic used a impact socket that was too big for the lug nut holes and scraped up all the lug holes....the dealer says that there is nothing they can do about it.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:58 AM
synth19

omg... that is just STRAIGHT incompetence!

Originally posted by Z_Coaster
yup, been there, done that here as well.

When they did refinish my wheels, either they didn't clean off all the brake dust before applying the finish, or didn't wait long enough before driving. There is brake dust perminently bonded to the finish on the inside of the wheel. Not sure if the dust is on or in the finish itself. Since it is on the inside of the wheel and it's the crappy stock (non-Rays) wheels, I didn't fuss. But I would have stressed if they were Rays.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:21 PM
fuzion

its like everytime i hear these stories i always wonder how stupid these places must be. why not get some proper gear or do it with more carefully? i swear ive heard soo many stories of this its not even funny.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too - - - Hard to believe it has happened to so many of us, NNA is even aware of the number of wheels that have been scratched, they told me it was between me and the dealer to get it resolved - - I didn't want their body shop repainting my wheels and couldn't get them to buy me new or even a set off of Ebay - finally had them powder coated - - ALMOST like new, I can tell the difference - - aarrrggghhhh