Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

For those on the West Coast awaiting their Zs (must read):

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002 | 07:02 PM
a_p

Default For those on the West Coast awaiting their Zs (must read):

I spoke to the Fleet Manager (Andrea Coultas) at Douglas Nissan of Orange this evening. She informed me that approximately 400 (!) 350Zs are floating next to the ports. She also stated that of all Nissan vehicles sitting on the cargo ships, the Zs are getting first priority in unloading and occasionally a gutsy port-worker will unload a Z or two from the ship.

Anyway, she expects the Zs to be here in the next week or so!
(I ordered 5/26/02, I'm order# W179406 and my VIN is here.. Scafremon, thanks for all of your work in putting together the soup. I'll post my VIN when the manager calls me from the dealership tomorrow.)

Old 10-03-2002 | 11:42 PM
Jason

Half the modern world seems to be unemployed nowdays, and the rest of the people are on strike!
Old 10-03-2002 | 11:45 PM
Darkwing

Originally posted by Jason
Half the modern world seems to be unemployed nowdays, and the rest of the people are on strike!
so true so true.

Karim
Old 10-06-2002 | 08:44 AM
a_p

Originally posted by PrototypeStan
my car could be on those boats!!

wooooooohooo
I was at Long Beach last night. It was so depressing to see all those cargo ships, knowing that my car was floating there, waiting to be driven.
Old 10-06-2002 | 11:34 AM
___DJK___

The strike is ******** as far as im concerned. I heard those dockworkers make like 100k a year to unload crates. WTF, 100K, why the hell did i go to college!
Old 10-06-2002 | 12:07 PM
igyz
Charter Member #25

Default Under the Gun

I just got my car released before they locked things out. I received a call from Nissan that my car was loaded on the truck but instead of arriving Monday it would be Tuesday, that was last week. I feel for you guys, hang in there.
Old 10-06-2002 | 12:11 PM
sage

Originally posted by ___DJK___
The strike is ******** as far as im concerned. I heard those dockworkers make like 100k a year to unload crates. WTF, 100K, why the hell did i go to college!
Obviously not to learn to read or pay attention to the news.

Its a LOCKOUT, not a strike.

See the difference? Management has decided to stop the
workers from unloading the ships, NOT the other way around.

Sure, management says they were just responding to slow downs by the union. And of course, the union says they were just responding to management's attempts to force them to extend the existing contract. But at the end, the story is still the same. Management is not letting the workers work. That's called a lockout.
Old 10-06-2002 | 12:52 PM
a_p

Originally posted by sage
Obviously not to learn to read or pay attention to the news.

Its a LOCKOUT, not a strike.

See the difference? Management has decided to stop the
workers from unloading the ships, NOT the other way around.

Sure, management says they were just responding to slow downs by the union. And of course, the union says they were just responding to management's attempts to force them to extend the existing contract. But at the end, the story is still the same. Management is not letting the workers work. That's called a lockout.
Right now I'm work 100 hour weeks for $37k/year, and thats after 8 years of school since I graduated high school. I don't *****, I don't complain, I like what I'm doing. So in my book, working 40hrs/week and getting paid $100k for operating cranes isn't being underpaid.

So whether it's called a strike or a lockout, the workers wouldn't be in this situation if they weren't complaining about their pay.
Old 10-06-2002 | 01:03 PM
sage

Originally posted by a_p
Right now I'm work 100 hour weeks for $37k/year, and thats after 8 years of school since I graduated high school. I don't *****, I don't complain, I like what I'm doing. So in my book, working 40hrs/week and getting paid $100k for operating cranes isn't being underpaid.

So whether it's called a strike or a lockout, the workers wouldn't be in this situation if they weren't complaining about their pay.

The workers were not complaining about their pay. The unions issues have centered around ensuring that jobs aren't lost to some of the technological innovations that managemet is bringing about.

Agree or disagree with them about that. But at least know what the real issues are. Pay has NOT been an issue.
Old 10-06-2002 | 01:19 PM
a_p

Originally posted by sage
The workers were not complaining about their pay. The unions issues have centered around ensuring that jobs aren't lost to some of the technological innovations that managemet is bringing about.

Agree or disagree with them about that. But at least know what the real issues are. Pay has NOT been an issue.
The PMA (the management) has already stated that they will not implement bar code readers--which the ILWU considers to be new technology. The ILWU refuses to talk to the PMA because of "armed bodyguards" at the last meeting.

The PMA should implement bar code scanners, and they should find ways to make the ports more efficient. If it involves laying off some workers in the next few years, that's fine. Those who will be working have already been offered salaries of $114,500 to $137,500/yr. Even if some people are laid off in the upcoming years, they should be happy with the big cash they made when they were working.
Old 10-06-2002 | 02:31 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by a_p

The PMA should implement bar code scanners, and they should find ways to make the ports more efficient. If it involves laying off some workers in the next few years, that's fine.
I concur. WE are really the reason they are all employed. We demand goods that need to be shipped. So I, as a consumer, want our ports to be as efficient as possible.