Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of wiring things directly onto the stock ECU harness...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:50 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
You still have to splice and solder though, right? You are just splicing into the wires in the adapter then plugging it in between the ECU and stock harness?

-Chris
Yes, you do the splicing on the harness rather than the car's wiring. I like because you leave the car's wiring alone plus you can do it in the comfort of you worktable rather than in the car.

I know it is not cheap but the parts alone are worth it, it has the same connectors as the car's harness has so it plugs in perfectly, if you are just doing emanage it is probably not worth the cost, but after spendind 6k+ and climbing the 249 is not too bad plus it makes it easier to add things to it.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:09 PM
HK$FairladyZ

dido what westpak said.

besides aren't civic owners...don't be cheap.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Patch

Hey Everyone,

I guess I'm overdue for an update on these. Please excuse me, but you know how us heads are!

Mike, thanks for the offer to see the Titan connectors, but I have all of that information now. Those 2 combined were going to cost about the same as the 1 piece connector found on the 350Z, which is why I went ahead and ordered the 1 piece design. Good luck with the truck!

Gus, I'm glad to hear everything worked out well with your harness and the greddy twin turbo install. After spending 12 hours putting your harness together I would have been in tears to hear otherwise. Those 2 hairdryers of yours wouldn't have anything to do with all of the weather problems down that way would they?

Anyway it's good to hear that the harness has been successfuly used on an N/A, SC and now a twin turbo car.

The harnesses are not in regular production quite yet. To date I've received only 5 complete sets of connectors to build up.
I was scheduled to receive the final missing part about a week ago, but the manufacture notified me late in August that it would be delayed 1 month. My supplier contacts them every week now and asks for this to be expidited. I'm being told they should arrive Oct. 12. In the meantime, I've started modifing the ecu connectors and cutting, stripping and crimping the gold plated contacts onto the wires.

This brings me to my final point for the night. I really don't appreciate being accused of smoking crack. If anyone feels that strongly about something I'm doing, it would be better to simply contact me directly so it can be discussed before posting on a public forum and exposing your complete and utter IGNORANCE.
$50-75 for a harness.... The gold plated contacts alone cost me nearly $30 for each harness!!! I thought I mentioned this earlier, but these connectors are German. BMW is on all of the original engineering drawings on these parts. I was told that everything is coming from Germany except for this last part I'm having to wait on. I have no idea why Nissan decided to use these on the 350Z, but I can tell you that they chose some of the best (and most expensive ) ecu connectors in use today. IMO, they are superior to what is used on Lexus automobiles.
To sum up, the cost to build this harness in on par with the most expensive I build, the MKIV Supra. (It sells for $275) The time required to build each 350Z harness is currently just over 7 hours, but I expect that to drop to 5-6 hours once I'm up to speed. In either case it is the most time consuming harness I build.
For those that decide to wait and purchase one of these, I think you will be glad you did. You will not have to cut up your factory ecu wiring. Your electronic mod install will be a piece of cake. If you ever change anything, the harness is extremely easy to take out and reinstall. Finally, when you decide to sell the car, if yoiu want to return the car to stock, just unplug the harness and sell it on this same forum. These seem to hold their value very well, and at the same time you are preserving some of the value on your car. Thanks to everyone that has been waiting so patiently for this to get going. The wait should soon be over.

Best regards,

Richard
Old 09-16-2004, 12:22 AM
aalzuhair

Thank you Richard for a great product. Its worth every penny.

Az
Old 09-16-2004, 06:00 AM
350trackz

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
HOLY $HIT!!

I just went to the website and saw the crazy price they are asking! $249.00!! That's insane!! I was thinking they'd be like $50 or so $75 at the most!

Someone is smoking crack asking $249.00 for one of these things.

I can't believe that price

Hell, my eMange unit itself was only $269.

Have you seen his work ? Everyone has there own opinion of things. I have seen every page Richard is referring to as we put it on my car ... upside down on the seat ... remember that Richard ? These are NOT cheap parts and the quality is superb. And as for the quality involved in these ... Richard does this for a living (not the ECU harnesses but something very similar). He work is way above top notch. If you knew what he did to pay the bills, you wouldn't doubt why $250 is a fair price.

Like I said, everyone has their own opinions of good and bad ...

And FYI, I got the prototype from Richard and said "yes" before we even discussed the $$$. I knew it would be worth it.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:01 AM
KShep

Originally posted by aalzuhair
Thank you Richard for a great product. Its worth every penny.

Az
ditto
Old 09-16-2004, 10:13 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Patch
This brings me to my final point for the night. I really don't appreciate being accused of smoking crack. If anyone feels that strongly about something I'm doing, it would be better to simply contact me directly so it can be discussed before posting on a public forum and exposing your complete and utter IGNORANCE.
$50-75 for a harness.... The gold plated contacts alone cost me nearly $30 for each harness!!!
Richard,

I appologize for my previous comments. I didn't understand why it could be so expensive but I stand corrected.

Good luck

-Chris
Old 09-16-2004, 02:48 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it probably also explains why these harnesses are not flooding the market. The cost is too high to make them and have a limited audience.

Richard, you just have to add "Custom Hand Made Designer" harness to the description and price the exclusivity of it...
Old 09-16-2004, 03:36 PM
myz8a4re

i have some questions that a few here can probably sum up for me. this harness seems like a great idea to keep from working in such a cramped area. but im a tad confused, if i have a couple items wired into the ECU harness & then purchase a new item that needs wired in as well, how would i pull the harness out with all the previous electrical items soldered in? im sure a break in the wire can be made but i thought these breaks using connectors somewhere in the line reduced the signal or "potency" of the connection. the idea seems great but with wires strategically ran through the car to the ECU & then soldered in would then complicate the removal of the harness for future additions. also i was wondering how wires would be soldered out of the car to the harness if these wires needed to be strategically routed through the car and were connected to the device at the other end? the wires would need to be cut & reconnected somewhere right? im no electrical engineer so im sure there is an easy explanation for this, sorry for my ignorance. im ready to learn somthing & i appreciate any input!

-justin
Old 09-16-2004, 03:58 PM
350trackz

Some items can be wired out of the car ... most can't.

The key is this ... crawl under the passenger air bag and yank as hard as you can on the ECU harness ... you MAY get 3-4" of space that you can effectively work on the ECU harness (try to squeeze crimpers in there ... it is TOUGH). Add Richard's harness in the mix, you can pull the harness all the way out to the floor board or seat to work on, pull excess wires through from whatever you are installing, then plug it all back in and tuck away the excess wire. Plus getting to the ECU harness involves dislocating some ribs leaning on the door sill, or laying upside down on the seat.

Hope that helps with a mental picture ... btw ... enjoying the boot ?

Mike
Old 09-16-2004, 04:12 PM
myz8a4re

the picture makes it look as though the wiring is only about 5-6" long in this added harness, it must be more like a few feet to get it to reach the seat. the image truely made it appear as though it was shorter than that. plus the comments of "pulling out the harness & working on your bench in the garage" made it seem as though the harness can be pulled out for every easy application. i see now that that is in a rare instance for certain wired items..........thanx for the input mike!

im enjoying the orange/orange shift boot greatly. it really pulls the interior together. i still grab it & feel the quality leather everytime i get into the car, hehe. fabulous quality mike!

thanx,
-justin
Old 09-16-2004, 04:22 PM
350trackz

Thanks ...

But on the harness, it is about 8-10" long ... but COMPLETELY disconnect it and lay it on the seat. Run all the wires to the ECU as if you were wiring it there (in the dash). But then pull them through to the seat (or as far as they go). Do what needs to be done and reinstall the harness. Make better sense ?

Mike
Old 09-16-2004, 04:53 PM
myz8a4re

yes, that does make more sense. i guess a couple extra feet of added wire for whatever other wires are connected to the harness could make for possible work just outside of the z's door! ok, the idea is getting much better for me now, lol! the idea of keeping the factory ECU wires in tact is enough of a benefit for me anyways, just wanted to clarify some of the reasoning other than that.

thanx again,
-justin
Old 09-19-2004, 06:44 AM
Patch

Thanks guys for the support and kind words, I appreciate it!

Chris thanks for the apology, I'm glad you took the time to read my reply, and now understand the situation better. Very cool.

slaponte-"Custom Hand Made Designer"harness...not a bad idea, I may do that. Thanks

Justin, the overall length is very close to 11". Everyone does things a little differently and has there own opinions, but here is what I did with my Supra harness. I wired everything into the harness in a way that allowed it to be removed from the car completely for each mod as I went along. The wiring from some piggybacks will unplug from the unit itself and can be hardwired into my harness as long as that short (usually about 36") set of wires can be easily removed once the piggyback is mounted. Anything that is hardwired into the piggyback or is going to be difficult to remove, I used wire to wire disconnects or multiposition connectors at the patch harness to allow them to be unplugged easily. Another benifit of doing it this way is that you can now easily unplug a mod if you have problems with the car and want to remove a particular piggyback to see if it is at fault. You are now able to isolate them one by one.
Connectors are your friend. Don't be afraid to use them. I do recommend using good quality connectors from an electronics store/supplier. In my area it's Frys Electronics that has the best selection of connectors and the crimp tools to go with them. You can buy a package that will have a couple sets of male/female connectors WITH the needed pins/sockets for around $5 plus about $15 for the crimp tool. Those connectors can have 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and more wire positions, so you can choose the size you need. Also, you can add solder to the crimped connection on each pin/contact if you'd like.

I have had several customers that have had to replace their entire engine to ecu wiring harness due to the mess at the ecu connectors.

Thanks again for all of the input!

Richard
Old 09-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Patch

I've tried to attach a pic of the current harness. It's a little longer than the original prototype, has the color coded wires for an emanage or vortech controller install and the big 1 piece connector.
Attached Thumbnails Tired of wiring things directly onto the stock ECU harness...?-z-harness-010.jpg  
Old 09-19-2004, 09:50 AM
myz8a4re

wow that connector looks like great quality up close! thanx for the input on using this harness. i always thought electrical connectors were bad when connecting to the ECU, guess those who had were using the cheap autoparts store connectors. im deffinately getting this harness before i cut into my factory ecu wires!

-justin
Old 09-19-2004, 08:43 PM
HK$FairladyZ

wow is that one done?, it looks great. can i buy that one? I'm on the list, but I don't know where I am in line for one.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:02 AM
KShep

Bump for any updates...trying to schedule tuning.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Patch

Nothing has changed at this time. The few sample sets of connectors that I was able to get my hands on have been built up and sold.

Below, I've copied my earlier reply. It still stands as far as I know. I should start assembling harnesses after Oct. 12. Believe me, the wait is killing me as well. I've paid for all of these parts and the tooling and I can't produce anything right now.

"The harnesses are not in regular production quite yet. To date I've received only 5 complete sets of connectors to build up.
I was scheduled to receive the final missing part about a week ago, but the manufacture notified me late in August that it would be delayed 1 month. My supplier contacts them every week now and asks for this to be expidited. I'm being told they should arrive Oct. 12. In the meantime, I've started modifing the ecu connectors and cutting, stripping and crimping the gold plated contacts onto the wires."

Thanks,

Richard
Old 09-28-2004, 04:12 AM
KShep

Thanks....waiting is a drag but I'm confident it will be worth it to the guys who have to wire all this stuff up for me.

Quick Reply: Tired of wiring things directly onto the stock ECU harness...?