Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why can't they just get it right???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 10:20 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why can't they just get it right???

So my car has about 2400 miles on it now. I've blown my first tire by hitting some piece of debris in the road, but I'm ok with that, it's just a hazard of owning a car.

Then of course the dealer goes and gouges up my brand new track wheel while changing the tire. I bring it to their attention and the service manager says "we'll fix it, no problem". I think, "great!" and drop the car off with them for a whole day to do the work. I get the car back only to discover that it looks like they re-sprayed the wheel, but apparently forgot to wipe the brake dust off of it first, effectively sealing the dust into the paint job. Now I have to go back and ***** at them and just try to get a new wheel. You know, owning a car isn't supposed to be this damn frustrating. Why can't they just get it right?

I'm starting to see what everyone is talking about when they say Nissan service sucks. It's very apparent to me that these yahoos have no idea how we enthusiasts view our vehicle. It's not just a car damnit, it's my BABY!!!!

Anyway, I'm going to go to sleep now, so I can be nice and fresh to hand out @$$ whoopin's at the dealership tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:36 PM
adrianko43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how you feel. I took my gt-c's to just tires, and they scratched one of them, then i decided it was enough and took it somewhere else. But that ruined my day. I couldn't get good sleep for a couple days. Good luck getting your rims fixed though.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:28 AM
kcobean

Update:

During my second visit to the dealership to get the damage to my wheel fixed, they removed the sprayed-over brake dust, but still missed one of the gouges on the outside of the rim, and completely neglected to address the scratches that the impact-wrench socket left around the rims of the lug nut holes. Car is going back one more time. This really pisses me off. Granted, the scratches are minor, but my view on this is that I was able to get the tire off the car with the crappy lug-wrench while sitting on the side of the road without doing any damage to the wheel, why can't an ASE certified mechanic with 30K worth of tools do it.

To make matters worse, when they repaired the flat the first time, they scratched the back of the car by apparently dragging either the spare or the flat across the hatch opening.

I heard that this was a good dealership that I'm going to, but I'm starting to have doubts.....
Old 06-02-2004, 07:53 AM
manofsteele2003

Which dealership is it? Browns Nissan Sterling? If it is that's who I ordered my car from. The sales team I'm working with is fantastic, haven't delt with the service dept. yet. I'll make sure to watch out for them.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:10 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by manofsteele2003
Which dealership is it? Browns Nissan Sterling? If it is that's who I ordered my car from. The sales team I'm working with is fantastic, haven't delt with the service dept. yet. I'll make sure to watch out for them.
Yep, Browns Sterling Sterling....

Just got off the phone with my service advisor. He is going to confer with the service manager and determine whether they are going to continue to address these issues at their cost. You believe that crap? I have this feeling that I'm about to get F*$cked and told to go away.

It's not that they haven't been polite, but what they're failing to realize is that this car isn't even 4 months old yet, and the only damage that has been done to the car has been caused by the Nissan Dealership. Other than the wheel and the paint on the hatch-lip, the car is in perfect condition, so it's natural that I would focus on getting these things taken care of.

Simple attention to detail could have prevented all of this from happening, but instead they chose to treat my car like a 10 year-old Sentra. What a shame...

Too bad the next-nearest dealership is 30 minutes away...I have a feeling I'm going to end up switching...
Old 06-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Pusha_Z

damn Kelly, sorry to hear they are messing with you. Did you talk to Anita Lam from customer service? She is the best and has a nice body ahahaha keep us updated. Also did you deal with Sheri? shes usually right on top of things
Old 06-02-2004, 08:37 AM
wildone_106

How much did they charge you for the Potenza replacement?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:46 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by Pusha_Z
damn Kelly, sorry to hear they are messing with you. Did you talk to Anita Lam from customer service? She is the best and has a nice body ahahaha keep us updated. Also did you deal with Sheri? shes usually right on top of things
Hey Troy,
I haven't talked with Anita Lam, don't even know her. Sheri hasn't been there since I got my car, and according to some of the other service advisors, she will likely not be back at Brown's in the same capacity as she was before (service advisor), if she does come back at all.

In all fairness, the two advisors I've worked with so far have been very accomodating, it's just that their repair person is doing a half-@$$ job, and the advisors aren't a) putting some weight on this guy to get the job done right, and b) inspecting his work before they call me and tell me my car is ready. If they had done either of these things, I wouldn't be writing this post. Actually, I guess if their mechanics had taken just a little care when they put the wheel back on the car, I wouldn't be writing this, so the problem is two-fold...

I sincerely hope that my experience getting actual maintenance and repair done on the car isn't this bad, if I choose to continue to use these guys.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:49 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by wildone_106
How much did they charge you for the Potenza replacement?
I forget the exact number, but it was in the 280-290 range w/ taxes and all...
Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 AM
wildone_106

Thanks, thats kinda a relief as they charged me about the same and I thought they were rippen me off!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:43 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to say it Kelly, but you are eventually going to get scratches in the lug holes of the wheels. The 21mm lugnuts are pretty big, and don't leave much room for the socket in the lug hole. I've had several of my wheels scratched by NTB (who does the work for several Nissan dealerships), and both simply pointed fingers at each other. I'm sure I could have had the problem rectified, but I simply don't have enough time in a day to fight with those idiots... Good luck though...

Last edited by John; 06-02-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:11 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by John
Hate to say it Kelly, but you are eventually going to get scratches in the lug holes of the wheels. The 21mm lugnuts are pretty big, and don't leave much room for the socket in the lug hole. I've had several of my wheels scratched by NTB (who does the work for several Nissan dealerships), and both simply pointed fingers at each other. I'm sure I could have had the problem rectified, but I simply don't have enough time in a day to fight with those idiots...
Hey John,
You know, normally, that would be a perfectly acceptable answer to me because I understand that close tolerances mean a higher chance of socket/wheel contact. My frustration comes from the fact that I was able get the wheel off the car using the dinky little lug-wrench that is provided with the spare/jack without so much as a scratch with cars whizzing by me at 70 MPH, and if I may say so myself, I had the flat tire off and the spare on in probably about 6-8 minutes, so it's not like it takes that much extra time to "do it by hand". If the tools the mechanics use are going to damage my car, then they should either do things by hand, or let me know that they are going to damage my car so that I can take it to someone who is willing to take the time to do it right. Really, all they had to do was tape the top of the socket to prevent this, right?

If you look at this from a $ standpoint, they've already cost themselves alot of money by having the car brought into the detailer twice, potentially going on three times (depending on what the service manager says when I take the car back AGAIN next Tuesday).

And we haven't even dealt with the paint damage from them dragging the spare or something across the lip of the hatch on the initial visit.

I really do have a feeling that they're going to tell me to go pound sand this time. I guess we'll see.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
randyshemin@comcast.

The tool vendors that call on the service departments have special "sleeved" sockets (a piece of plastic around the socket) available to prevent the damage around the lugs. John at Crawford Z Car Service here got one just to work on their customer's Zs. You would think the dealerships would do likewise to avoid this aggravation for all concerned.

A few bucks would be $ well spent, and as always, its all in the details...
Old 06-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Pusha_Z

Whats up Kelly, talk to Anita if you are unhappy about anything. Shes the customer service consultant and she knows about Browns Sterlings good reputation and would act to maintain it. If you are unhappy talk to Anita Lam, she will do her best to help you.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:34 AM
350zMon

dealershgips are so sketchy sometimes, i dont trust a word they say!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:25 PM
ml2316

when you're paying this much for a nissan, you have to wonder if it's not worth it to pay a little more (or even the same) and just get an infiniti.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Zrated

Nissan dealers were NOT ready to work on a car like this!

Most of the guys there are a bunch of yahoos who don't have any interest in cars at all.

The quality of work sucks! Every time I go in something is ruined.
My interior is scratched, my stearing wheel leather was ripped, all 4 wheels were scratched!!!!! (finally replaced)

What type of idiot takes the aluminum trim piece of the passenger side door pull and puts it on the shop floor face down so it gets scratched?! screwdriver pry marks on the interior trim......

These guys are all F"N IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F those F'rs!
Old 06-11-2004, 10:16 AM
kcobean

Update:

The dealership agreed to once again address the damage they did to the wheel, and to repair the damage to the hatch area where the tire was scraped across the paint. I dropped the car off on Tuesday morning, to be picked up that night. Dealer calls me Tuesday afternoon wanting to know if they can keep my car overnight. I say "I'm going to be out of the area on Wednesday, so I'll need to pick it up Thurs. morning." I call them Thursday morning to tell them I'm coming to get the car, and they tell me that it's not ready yet...It's still "drying" and they'll call me when it's ready. They call in the afternoon, so I go to pick up the car. The wheel looks ok, but the finish is so rough, I'm thinking, "I'm never getting the brake dust out of this", but I'm so tired of dealing with these people that I accept the work and go home. Didn't even think to look at the back bumper. Get home, check out the bumper and notice that the paint job is so rough and orange peeled that I can't even see my reflection in it. They re-sprayed the whole upper portion of the bumper from tail-light to tail-light and from the top of the license plate opening up to the hatch seam.

I called the service director and let her know what was going on. She says, "What do I need to do to make you happy?" I say, I want my car to be in the condition it was in when I brought it in the first time...Like new". She says "let me talk to the GM and I'll call you right back." 10 minutes later, the phone rings, and it's my service advisor (not the service director). He says, "Right after you picked up the car, the paint guy came looking for it. He says he still needs to polish both the wheel and the bumper, so can you bring it in again next tuesday." At this point, I told the guy that this will be the forth trip to try and fix something that could easily have been avoided and that I'm really pissed off for them wasting my time, but I agree to bring the car back. Then about 15 minutes later, the service director calls me back and says, "I was with the service advisor when he called you. I'm not going to be here on Tuesday, but you give me a call on Wednesday and let me know how everything went."

I'm totally blown away at the runaround these people are giving me. If they don't get this right on Tuesday, I'm calling NNA and raising hell.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:16 PM
skong

Almost same experience with the freaking a$$ service department. When I took my delivery, they have forgotten to put on the front deflector for me; so I went in and have them put it on, this freaking porter/technician put on the deflector first without peeling off the plastic film on the front of the car, secondly, didn't wipe off dirty road debris before installating it. Lastly, didn't close the under body panel correctly and leaving part of it crooked and created a small opening.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:30 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by skong
Almost same experience with the freaking a$$ service department. When I took my delivery, they have forgotten to put on the front deflector for me; so I went in and have them put it on, this freaking porter/technician put on the deflector first without peeling off the plastic film on the front of the car, secondly, didn't wipe off dirty road debris before installating it. Lastly, didn't close the under body panel correctly and leaving part of it crooked and created a small opening.
Amazing. Man, when I first got my Z home I put the front lip on myself. It's amazing that the "pros" at the dealer can't even do a simple job right. I could have done better than that when I was 16.

WayneTN