Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

terrable subaru ad!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 AM
zownz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subaru owns with their 4wd system and their motors are amazing, but they sure design some ugly cars. No imagination, it looks like a 80's volvo.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Thelonius

Originally Posted by zownz
subaru owns with their 4wd system and their motors are amazing, but they sure design some ugly cars. No imagination, it looks like a 80's volvo.
1983 Volvo 245 Wagon

2004 Subaru Forester XT

Imagination?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 PM
BlueDevilFXT

Originally Posted by Z_freak
agreed.....so what brought you over to this forum ??
i linked directly to this thread from a post over on our forester board. i saw a lot of animosity and misinformation and just thought i'd try to set the record straight. i'm a car guy first and foremost, of course i prefer my car over others, but that's why you bought the car you bought, right?. we're all passionate about cars, so i don;t understand why we need to squabble over who's is better, especially when the 2 cars in question are so vastly different.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:27 PM
1nate7

Originally Posted by BlueDevilFXT
i linked directly to this thread from a post over on our forester board. i saw a lot of animosity and misinformation and just thought i'd try to set the record straight. i'm a car guy first and foremost, of course i prefer my car over others, but that's why you bought the car you bought, right?. we're all passionate about cars, so i don;t understand why we need to squabble over who's is better, especially when the 2 cars in question are so vastly different.
Grap on my parnets tired oilcovers.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Z_freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1nate7
Grap on my parnets tired oilcovers.

WTF???????
Old 05-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Roo

Originally Posted by Taskism
Just dropping by to add a little to the discussion. I'm the site owner of www.subaruforester.org and have seen the thread from there.

1. The advertisement DID appear in the Wall Street Journal. It was an introduction for the XT.
2. Here's something that I've not seen mentioned in this thread about how the Forester is so quick: Gear ratios. 4.44 is an awfully short ratio, and will give us the extra jump off the line. It is also why at the top end, we will always lose out to sports cars who simply have longer gearing.

I'm a fan of cars driven well, not simply badges on a car. I've smacked down the RX-8, among several other cars who, in my opinion, I should not have been able to walk on.

I've admired cars like the RX-8 as well, since I've actually seen a few who are driven extremely well by competent drivers. While I enjoy the handling capabilities of this:

I know there are always going to be cars which are faster, handle better, and are driven by more competent drivers than myself. I enjoy keeping up with the people who have a chip on their shoulder and an ego that is easily bruised by seeing this in their rearview mirror, and not being able to walk away from me.

I personally LOVE the 350, and have been impressed while driving along with some up here in Northern California, along the coast. The people who know how to drive them can make a trip fun. We've even stopped and chatted with people in different cars who are impressed by my ability to keep up, and know it isn't about ego, it's just a couple of enthusiasts having some fun.

Short list of cars I've kept up with:

Lotus Elise
RX-8
WRX
350Z
Audi TT
Porsche Boxster S

I'm just another enthusiast who'd love to meet people who enjoy driving the cars they drive, and don't feel threatened by others who have chosen other cars to have passion about.

This weekend, I'm hosting a meet and drive event in northern California for drivers...

...not posers.

This meet is going to be led by the Forester in the picture, driven by a professional rally driver named Paul Eklund. He's coming down from Portland, Oregon to enjoy some touring of the back roads.

I hope to see you guys on the roads...and if we have a good time running, expect a friendly wave...

P.S. If you would be interested in driving this event, please PM me before Thursday night for more information.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:52 AM
BlueDevilFXT

very well said Roo.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Roo

I think I need a custom title.

"Thread killer" would do nicely. I even invite you guys out for a friendly (not ego driven) drive event, and no one around here even responds.

I guess it has something to do with the fact that no one in this thread (except me) is from anywhere around these parts.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 PM
zownz

Originally Posted by Thelonius
1983 Volvo 245 Wagon

2004 Subaru Forester XT

Imagination?
yeah you proved my point..to me they are both even ugly..
Old 05-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Roo

yeah you proved my point..to me they are both even ugly..

We make up for (your perception of) ugliness in the fun we have with our cars, which have the top spot for RELIABILITY!!

"...the safest small SUV we've ever tested" - Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Things like that help add to the value of our cars. It's not like your car isn't nice, and it does perform well, but how practical is it for family hauling duty??
Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 PM
zownz

dude i didnt say nothing about the performance of your car, look up, i stated that subaru's own with their 4wd technology..its just lacking a little design on the outside...but everything to its own...btw why are you coming with a family hauling duty car in this forum..whats your point?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Roo

...btw why are you coming with a family hauling duty car in this forum..whats your point?

My point is to:

1. Hopefully convince you that the ad in the original post IS real, and was published in the Wall Street Journal.

2. Read the responses which seem to have a lot of disinformation and bias formed from ignorance, and shine a little light on the subject.

and third, and most important...

...to show you we're all just enthusiasts, and no matter what shape the sheet metal may take, that we can appreciate each others' choices in vehicles for what they are, instead of playing some sort of one-upmanship, which is a game which never ends.

I'd invite you to come on out to our meet, but you aren't close enough to make it in time. I have about 32 hours left before it begins, and still have much to do. The professional rally driver is coming into town tonight, and I'm looking forward to taking a recce tour on some of the back roads with him tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:39 PM
r26

i once drove a forrester. i was rather impressed. after i drove the forreter, i traded in my tc and bought a z. i never cared about speed before, but needed it after feeling it. i guess i can say that it took a forrester to turn on light for me. i think the subaru guys are coming to this site as car enthusiast. they love their cars and we love ours. there are many ignorant wanna be car enthusiast out there that will bash on our cars constantly. they'll say "the car is too slow; it can't even run 14s; or my favorite, the g is faster cause it's a skyline".
Old 05-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Heck guys why don't we just slap on a set of TT's on my Pathfinder. Then we'd have a comparsion.

Subi is OK, It's build is cheap. It doesn't last long. It may be reliable for a couple of years. However, my Pathfinder hasn't missed a lick for 5 years and I plan on keeping it for another 5+ years. Plus it tows over 5500 lbs. and handles great with a boat on it's tail.

I'll take my 350Z and Pathfinder. If I needed speed in a SUV I'd just drop 10K into my Pathfinder and go looking to drag some Subi's Lol !!! Not ....

BTW - The Pathfinder moves out good enough for a 4WD SUV. Same Motor as the 350Z just detuned. Eventually, when my motor dies. I'm dropping a 350Z TT in it from a wrecked Z. Lol !!!

I know that is a bit cold but, I can make any car fast if I want to. It's not all about fast. Especially, for the street.

Sorry if I was ranting.....

I think the 350Z and the Pathfinder have a lot of style. That was one of my main reasons for buying them both.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 05-11-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Roo

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
Heck guys why don't we just slap on a set of TT's on my Pathfinder. Then we'd have a comparsion.

Subi is OK, It's build is cheap. It doesn't last long. It may be reliable for a couple of years. However, my Pathfinder hasn't missed a lick for 5 years and I plan on keeping it for another 5+ years. Plus it tows over 5500 lbs. and handles great with a boat on it's tail.
Hmm. I had a '98 Forester that was closing in on 200k on the odometer. It would have lasted a lot longer if some young girl on a cell phone hadn't run a stop sign, and blocked the road I was on, forcing me to swerve off the road...or I would have t-boned her and killed her in her little Jeep Wrangler.

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
I'll take my 350Z and Pathfinder. If I needed speed in a SUV I'd just drop 10K into my Pathfinder and go looking to drag some Subi's Lol !!! Not ....

BTW - The Pathfinder moves out good enough for a 4WD SUV. Same Motor as the 350Z just detuned. Eventually, when my motor dies. I'm dropping a 350Z TT in it from a wrecked Z. Lol !!!

I know that is a bit cold but, I can make any car fast if I want to. It's not all about fast. Especially, for the street.
You're definitely welcome to take your Z and your Pathfinder. If you needed speed, you'd drop 10k into your Pathfinder? For 10k, I'll have a Forester which can drop a Porsche Cayenne Turbo so quick, the Cayenne wouldn't stand a chance.

Eventually when your motor dies? Nissan motors are pretty reliable...I remember chanting this mantra while rebuilding my motor in the Nissan Pulsar I used to drive. Fun little car back in the day.

BTW, that is a nice looking Pathfinder you have posted. You ought to bring the OTHER car up to our little meet and drive event on Saturday, and have some fun on some remote back roads...

...no egos, simply enthusiasts having some fun.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Roo

BTW, where is the winery where you took this picture?? We're doing a touring group (separate from the drivers)...

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ead.php?t=1129

Last edited by Roo; 05-11-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:13 PM
zownz

Originally Posted by Roo

My point is to:

1. Hopefully convince you that the ad in the original post IS real, and was published in the Wall Street Journal.

2. Read the responses which seem to have a lot of disinformation and bias formed from ignorance, and shine a little light on the subject.

and third, and most important...

...to show you we're all just enthusiasts, and no matter what shape the sheet metal may take, that we can appreciate each others' choices in vehicles for what they are, instead of playing some sort of one-upmanship, which is a game which never ends.

I'd invite you to come on out to our meet, but you aren't close enough to make it in time. I have about 32 hours left before it begins, and still have much to do. The professional rally driver is coming into town tonight, and I'm looking forward to taking a recce tour on some of the back roads with him tomorrow.
Good reply, I hope your meet went well and post some pics after if you could.
Are those emotion CR's on your car? I have those on my Z..lol
Old 05-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Thelonius

If you're referring to the black Forester, that's mine. And yep, those are Work Emotion CR's. Love those rims
Old 05-13-2006, 04:53 AM
Fletch69z

That's funny, . (The ad I mean.) And well said Roo. I agree, we're all enthusiasts and I respect subaru's just as much as Nissans,

Last edited by Fletch69z; 05-13-2006 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Fletch69z

Well, maybe just under Nissan's but I'm a little biased, .

Quick Reply: terrable subaru ad!