Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 10:08 AM
InternetABYSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Z33Fan
It's off topic somewhat, but could you ask if he knows of any problems related to the "rough idle" that's floated around these boards regularly?

At idle in neutral, the car simply seems to puff out more exhaust irregularly, and the tach needle bounces about 125-150rpm, usually lower. Otherwise, the car runs great.

The dealership only wants to do a Consult, and it always comes up fine. What I really want to know is, does this "irregular coughing" of exhaust signify a bigger problem that the dealerships just aren't capable of handling right now?

Thanks again for asking this question for me.
DID you put a k&N or the JW pop charger in your car???? he told me that might cause it to do that.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:18 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by InternetABYSS
DID you put a k&N or the JW pop charger in your car???? he told me that might cause it to do that.
I think if you install the earth grounding cable in the engine bay, it will smooth out the ideling...
Old 10-17-2002, 10:22 AM
InternetABYSS

Originally posted by silvrz5
AB, you might ask him if racing the f-bodies and c5 vettes had somthing to do with your tranny touble???? just kidding!

Like i posted before and got slammed by vqracer, i said a new ecu would help with the hp gains, and i was told that only forced induction engines gain from new chips!!!!!

Nice info......so did nissan get you a loaner car or are you out a car till you get your tranny fixed???? And also are you the same person that was told by the nissan dealer they were flying reps out to look at your car and they never showed and it was all just bull ****? Then you car had like 110 miles more on it than when you left it there? If so did you relay this on to this new contact?

My only question to him would be on the g35c regarding hp compared to the 350z? i heard that they are the same engines and that Infiniti just lowered the hp on paper to make the 350z the more sporty car.

good luck with getting yours fixed and im sorry that you have to be the ginney pig. Hope you get a quick fix soon.
Racing what racing???....you mean quick accelleration which by weird circumstance another car decided to keep up with me

Yes im the same person that was told they were coming 2 weeks ago....and since i was told that....this guy im talking to actually made it happen....so i guess they didn't lie because it end up happing weeks later.

Yes he knows all about what happened...thats how im talking to him in the first place...just call it damage control...and NNA.....HAS been GREAT....SO FAR.

Yes i gotta loaner....chevey malibu

I'll ask about the G35 and the Z...he talked about if briefly...but I personally didnt care about the G35.

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 10-17-2002 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:32 AM
InternetABYSS

Default Re: Nissan info

Originally posted by Boomer
If the Z is detuned from 320 to 287hp, ask him when and how can we recover the lost hp. 320 would be plenty for me if it dosen't damage the engine. I don't want to add a supercharger or turbo, NA all the way. Also, how much would he estimate the NA and FI mods would coost, ballpark, I doubt he would know exactly, but you could try.

Thanks, Boomer
First he told me to get to more power or more gotta make the cpu think the emissions are still there even if you removed them then add mods.

To get best out of stock setup (320) change the timing, air/fuel mapping and stuff in the programing...and also said something about makeing the stock mass air flow system go from 20 something to 30 something....That are the future fatory mods for the Z unless they decide to change the motor by going in it...the future stuff isnt set...

He definitly gave me the impression that there is alot more power in tuning the ECU...actually he called it ECM

He said that is what nissan has done in the past to increase power in the altimas and maximas

Obiviosly I asked him to do it on my car now....he chuckled ...I keep putting a bird in his ear that we are dying for more hp and that whoever makes mods that produce gains has alot of money to make

he remarked Nismo is coming....Geezz

He also hinted.....saying does 350z stand for the engine size (liters) or the future HP rating....he chuckled again.

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 10-17-2002 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:46 AM
silvrz5

Hey Ab......... A good thing to do if you can is tape record your next conversation so you can recall everthing that he says.......not being a smart *** but this will help with all the info. this guy is throwing at you, i know it is hard to absorb everthing your being told. Just an idea?
Old 10-17-2002, 10:52 AM
InternetABYSS

I can record conversations with my phone...thanks for pointing it out....I hope he calls on my home line tomarrow...I'll try to record it next time.

Darn didnt think of it lastnight...my caller ID says its from a Pay phone one time and private this time...weird???

I'll be talking to him a couple more times till my car gets fixed. I met him once in person...very smart and nice guy.

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 10-17-2002 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:55 AM
NittoZ
Charter Member #65

I know in a lot of exhaust systems, backpressure can be an enemy and a friend. I wonder if modifying the cats on the car will help with power.....I know there are ways to trick ecu's on other cars into thinking the cats are still on the car when in reality they have been removed. This could produce some significant hp gains in a car that has been "detuned." Anyone following what I am saying?

NittoZ
Old 10-17-2002, 10:57 AM
InternetABYSS

I'll ask him about that...
Old 10-17-2002, 10:58 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Abyss--

Let me know what ends up happening with mods. I'm already talking to Nismo, trying to find out when they'll have a turbo charger ready to go, and of course other stuff.

No such thing as too much power.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:55 AM
Z33Fan

Originally posted by InternetABYSS
...I can record conversations with my phone...thanks for pointing it out....I hope he calls on my home line tomarrow...I'll try to record it next time...
Just make sure to ask him about the recording, and get his OK before you record, or just at the start. Otherwise, you could get into some troubles down the road, especially if he's not supposed to say something, and does.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:27 PM
Boomer

Default Mods from engineer

I posted earlier about getting up to 320hp, please ask him how
they might effect durability and drivability. I plan to keep this car for 8-10 years and so do a bunch of other members on this forum. I know they will be as interested as I am. THX, ABYSS. You've taken on a lot here on this topic and the rest of us appreciate you doing it.

Boomer
Old 10-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Boomer

Default cool info

Originally posted by NittoZ
I know in a lot of exhaust systems, backpressure can be an enemy and a friend. I wonder if modifying the cats on the car will help with power.....I know there are ways to trick ecu's on other cars into thinking the cats are still on the car when in reality they have been removed. This could produce some significant hp gains in a car that has been "detuned." Anyone following what I am saying?

NittoZ
I know what you mean, but I don't approve of violating the Clean Air Act. There are high flow cats available now, if they meet the rules, its an option you might consider, if you haven't already used them. I am sure consulting with SEMA might be a good idea. I am not trying to talk down to you or be your mother, I am just very concerned w/the environment.

Boomer
Old 10-17-2002, 01:34 PM
PistolPete

He said that some of the Nismo parts will state FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY....Meaning it will not be covered under warranty...
Harley-Davidson does this with their vehicles, and very sucessfully. They offer a wide variety of "Off road use only" parts void the warrantee. They will even install them at most dealers. Most people are happy to increase HP and torque by 20% (in the harley's anyway) and do without the warrantee. Harley makes a bunch of money selling parts that should have been on the bikes anyway, were it not for the EPA.

Aren't OEM ECU running rich already
Most new cars run lean to meet emissions standards. Thats why the ECM needs flashed. More air flow won't do any good without more fuel. In fact too lean of a mixture will burn hot, robbing power.

Hopefully Nissan will offer a re-flash service for the ECMs through their dealers. If we have to purchase a new ECM, it could be very costly.

Of course, I need to master the 287hp I have before I take on more!
Old 10-17-2002, 02:53 PM
UnderPressure

Questions for the mystery man:

Variable Cam Timing Questions:
What is the signal and range for for the Variable Cam drive? Analog or Digital? etc...
What mechanism actuates the cam timing? Servo driven planetary gear? Clutch mechanism? what?

What is the range of motion of the cam timing drive? How many degrees can it advance or retard?

ECU questions:
What inputs does the ECU look @ to determine the speed limiter?
What inputs does the ECU look @ to determine RPM limiter?
What inputs does the ECU look @ to determine Ignition timing?

Engine Questions:
What's the weight of the flywheel?
Forged or Cast Pistons?
Interference design head? Meaning is it possible for the valves to make contact w/ the pistons.
Injectors high or low impedence?
Are the crank and cam ignition triggers rising or falling hall effect sensors?

I'm going to be piggybacking a standalone ecu over the stock ecu. Allowing the stock ecu to run all the trivial bits of the car. While the standalone handles the engine management. Should be able to see the motors true potential unharnessed from the factory ecu. Expecting delivery early Novemeber, should have some result by the end of Novemebr. Info from an inside source would help things move along @ a brisk pace.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:12 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by UnderPressure
Questions for the mystery man:

Variable Cam Timing Questions:
What is the signal and range for for the Variable Cam drive? Analog or Digital? etc...
What mechanism actuates the cam timing? Servo driven planetary gear? Clutch mechanism? what?

What is the range of motion of the cam timing drive? How many degrees can it advance or retard?

ECU questions:
What inputs does the ECU look @ to determine the speed limiter?
What inputs does the ECU look @ to determine RPM limiter?
What inputs does the ECU look @ to determine Ignition timing?

Engine Questions:
What's the weight of the flywheel?
Forged or Cast Pistons?
Interference design head? Meaning is it possible for the valves to make contact w/ the pistons.
Injectors high or low impedence?
Are the crank and cam ignition triggers rising or falling hall effect sensors?

I'm going to be piggybacking a standalone ecu over the stock ecu. Allowing the stock ecu to run all the trivial bits of the car. While the standalone handles the engine management. Should be able to see the motors true potential unharnessed from the factory ecu. Expecting delivery early Novemeber, should have some result by the end of Novemebr. Info from an inside source would help things move along @ a brisk pace.
Now this would be very interesting to know. Looking forward to your results.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:25 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Default A simple question?

Please ask him if the G35 coupe has the carbon-fiber drive shaft. If it does not, could you ask him how much HP loss is there in the G35 to get to the wheels.
Thx.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:14 PM
MacGuru

Smile

Great post! I look forward to reading up on all the responses. Looks like there's plenty of room for serious hp gains. Keep up the great work. Thanks for sharing your insights.

RE: Bose - It just so happens I spoke with a Bose rep who just got back from a Cali meeting with NNA about the replacement amp. They were discussing the logistics for getting them out to all the dealers. I was told NNA will only be sending out notifications to all those who have registered a complaint/problem regarding the Bose system with Nissan Consumer Affairs sometime in November. Eluding to the fact that, if you don't register a complaint, Nissan will assume you're happy with the system. Make sure you let them know, or you may be left out of the loop in getting a fix. I would assume the amps are already being replaced on the factory assembly line, since they are manufactured on that side of the world. They delay is logistics at this point.

-m
Old 10-17-2002, 05:16 PM
InternetABYSS

Default HOT DAMN!!!!!!

I GOT MY CAR BACK!!!!!

THANKS NISSAN FOR THE EXTREMELY FAST SERVICE!!!!!!

Brand new tranny installed and TROUBLE FREE....

clutch fixed
brand new tranny runs perfect.
new pedal sensor installed.

Total time without car....3 days

Now if they can finally get my value stem caps and bose fix... my car will be perfect.

Well I just washed her and waxed her....gonna go for a spin.....shifts are smooth and redlining is no problem...now where are those f bodies at??? JUST KIDDING
Old 10-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by UnderPressure
I'm going to be piggybacking a standalone ecu over the stock ecu. Allowing the stock ecu to run all the trivial bits of the car. While the standalone handles the engine management. Should be able to see the motors true potential unharnessed from the factory ecu. Expecting delivery early Novemeber, should have some result by the end of Novemebr.
UnderPressure:

What is your source for the ECU? I'm sure we would all be interested in an ECU mod.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:46 PM
joeandcarol2

ask him why (in the G35) did they design the car such that fresh air on its way to the cabin flows right over the battery!!!
Seems nutty to me.

Quick Reply: Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)