Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 09:48 AM
Gabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wicked4u2C has some good points. I usually don't participate much on forums but I have a lot of experience. I worked for Stillen a few years, HKS for 4 and now work for Sparco. I have built up a few of my personal cars. These include a Sentra SE-R, a Corolla GTS RWD, a 240SX with an SR20DET and my current Supra that I mentioned earlier that will be featured in Super Street in the next few months. I have my own opinoins on turbo vs superchargers but what ever you decide to do on your car hinges on the ECU!!!!
Even if it is a filter and full exhaust you will not realize the full potential with Nissans adaptive ECU. It will start compensating and you don't want that. I can't stress this enough. If you do forced induction you will need to alter the fuel and or management system. More air, and you'll need more gas to make more power and stay reliable. It's basic tuning. You can't change injectors and fuel pumps or fuel pressure (which you will undoubtedly need to do with forced induction) and think the stock ECU is going to be able to handle it. Same goes for cams if and when they get develoed. The stock ECU on the Supra even with a piggyback fuel computer would still idle rough with cams because the stock ECU could not deal with the extra vacuum accociated with the larger cams. With the EMS idles like glass. With an AEM EMS there is no more limits to what you can do because it can be tuned for, as long as you have someone good to tune it. They have ben out for some time now for other cars and they are selling like crazy so I don' think that will be an issue. Like I said, no wiring, it is configured for all the stock sensors and plug right in. You can even hook up a switch to toggle between multiple maps. My car has on map for 91 octaine pump gas (best in Cali) and VP C16 (116 octaine leaded) that adds all kinds of timing and power ect. I'll bet the Z and G have some power taken out so chicks who bought them do break the tires loose right off the blip of the throttle, and detuned engine response from the electronic thorttle body. That can all be put back with the EMS. It can contol NOS, methanol injection, water Inj, whatever. You can even take off the air flow meter and convert it to speed density with a map sensor like a Honda or RX7TT for more air into the engine. Supra's gain 15hp with the air meter gone as it decreases in diameter on the inside. On SR20 motors they use Z TT or Skyline meter so they can get more air in (requires ECU tuning by the way!) I can go on for ever, start caling AEM! Let's let them know that the 350Z and G coupe guys are not weak sucks and are a good market to deal in, we want good parts. Supra turbos were limited production cars but the owners are so willing to fix them up manufactuers don't hesitate to make parts. I'll try to participate more if I have time.
AEM (310) 484-2322 www.aempower.com
Thanks.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:23 AM
msv

Gabe is absolutely right. The AEM EMS in plug-and-play is the only computer I'm even thinking about. It has the capability to control everything the car has and more, and is totally programmable. Making power with our cars is going to hinge on having a computer upgrade. Not only should it be worth some significant power all on its own, but to get anything out of the modifications that we inevitably do, it requires a computer upgrade. I know I'm planning on switching to speed density and ditching the air flow meter once I get the EMS.

We just need to make sure that AEM realizes how many people are waiting for it!! So lets get on it, I want one soon!!
Old 12-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Wicked4u2c

Hey Gabe, I have heard about you from Ryan (Creative Car Audio). I actually tried calling you because I was going to buy your Supra off you? But decided to go with the Z instead. It was tripping me out seeing you post here and knowing who you were. Hope to see you around, we need more intelligent post in these board.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:55 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
Its funny how people are so afraid of these things and say its worse than a supercharger
THANK YOU for saying that. I have been but noone seems to listen.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:00 PM
jimflash

Gabe, thanks for the informed reply. I am selling my beloved stock '93 Supra tt targa 6 sp and buying a 350. What are your opinions as to how best to optimize the engine performance? I am considering both the SC and tt options. I want to exceed the Supra and am in limbo here . . .
Old 12-13-2002, 07:56 AM
Gabe

Jim, depending on the level of upgrades on your Supra it may be damn hard to beat in a straight line! Around a track I think your Z has a great chance even with less power unless there is a huge straight! I don't know what the stock internals on the VQ can take, and don't know that anyone will until the tuners and or aftermarket companies start developing parts for it and tuning. I am pretty damn sure we won't be doing anything without something like an EMS though, that's why I'm trying to get everyone on this forum educated so the biggest hump (ECU) will be out of the way. I gess we'll have to wait and see. As far as Turbo vs. S/C, I always liked turbos better but it depends on what you are going to do with the car. I can see the attraction of the responce of a S/C, I just don't like how much they raise the intake air temp. One with some type of heat exchanger (intercooler) would be nice. Like one of those s/c that look like a turbo compressor.
BY THE WAY, I thought I was going to have to wait until March for my G35 Coupe but I found the exact car I wanted Wednesday night and bought it if anyone cares! I'm pretty happy! G35 coupe leather, brilliant silver with black interior, premium package, aero package and nav.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:49 AM
Mikestro

keep in mind, Internet Abyss was involved in the "Lor" thread. Which was essentially a bet to see how many "views" one thread could attract.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....r&pagenumber=1
Old 11-14-2003, 11:19 AM
zunzet

Anyone looking for a supercharger with 3/36 Warranty should go to
www.dreamworkesracing.com

Speak with Goren Really nice guy. Specializes in Nissan racing upgrades.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:32 AM
Z Monster

The only gain of a stratified panel filter is to decrease pressure drop. Nice work on confirming that the MAF programmed limitations make CAIs useless. Too bad you didn't ask him about test pipes. It seems that the gains of a pulley and grounding kit are the only thing that won't be dialed out by the stock ECM. Thanks for the data.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:51 AM
daking350
Banned

I just read the first page of this thread and basically what the guy from Nissan said was what Technosquare said all along...Did you mention the Technosquare ecu to him???And if so how does he feel about it??
Old 11-14-2003, 05:34 PM
shift

Jesus!! Did you ever think on asking him about the tire-cupping problem. My God, all you care about is h/p....
Old 11-14-2003, 07:25 PM
SS350Z

Did you notice this thread is over a year old?!
Old 11-15-2003, 04:10 AM
cincyspider

Did you notice my thread about Nismo offering new chips with 15HP gain???
Old 11-15-2003, 05:48 AM
jj1814

Originally posted by shift
Jesus!! Did you ever think on asking him about the tire-cupping problem. My God, all you care about is h/p....

SS350Z, dont waste your time LoL. WOW...member since 10/02 and only 3 posts? You should win the Lurker of the Year award
Old 11-15-2003, 05:54 AM
jj1814

Originally posted by Mikestro
keep in mind, Internet Abyss was involved in the "Lor" thread. Which was essentially a bet to see how many "views" one thread could attract.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....r&pagenumber=1

And? Does that discredit all of his posts and N74DV's as well (since he too, was involved. Actually, he was the creator and inventor of "LOR")? I think not.

Last edited by jj1814; 11-15-2003 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:12 AM
Z Monster

Oops, fished in.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:48 AM
joust75

I read the first post without realizing how old it was. I realized this post might have started the controversy on ecu not adjusting for mods.

I thought everyone decided that the Ecu does adapt and mods were good.

People are saying how good the Random tech high flow cats are and how they feel an accel difference. I was sold on them but now here is this ECU controversy again.

Whats up? Can I get power from these or not???
Old 11-16-2003, 01:03 AM
wakaZ

ECU thing reminds me of my last adventure...

Tuners can't do a proper tuning for OBD II. MAF/MAP combo on last car just screwd things up.

Proves a point that a friend noted: "how come everytime I add another mod it feels great but...after 3 or 4 days my car seems to be back to normal?"
Old 11-16-2003, 04:58 PM
IMAZLPR

so what you're saying is that even if i were to have a Nismo intake, exhaust, headers, camshafts, it'll still run like stock? just a curiousity, tnx!
Old 11-16-2003, 05:25 PM
zurn

Yes, Grasshopper. I think that is exactly what he (they) is saying. Apart from the UR pully an aerodynamic mods., everything else is pointless without modifying the ECU.

Quick Reply: Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)