Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:47 AM
mxpx_8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I dont understand is... If mods do not improve perfomance w/o an ECU change, then how do the dyno's show an increase?

I am not saying I disagree with what is said, but I just want to understand it better.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by mxpx_8
What I dont understand is... If mods do not improve perfomance w/o an ECU change, then how do the dyno's show an increase?

I am not saying I disagree with what is said, but I just want to understand it better.
I would like to know this also. We've been looking at dynos for months with hp gains. Do the changes show on the dyno and then the ECU adjusts and every gain is neutralized?
Old 11-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wow.. i love old threads...

^_^

interesting how we can look back in the past, and then see how things are today... and see what 1 year has actually gotten us...
Old 11-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Wedge

I agree Cheston.......it is extremely interesting....
Old 11-18-2003, 05:08 PM
350BRICK

Default Re: cool info

Originally posted by Boomer
.... but I don't approve of violating the Clean Air Act. ..... I am not trying to talk down to you or be your mother, I am just very concerned w/the environment.

Boomer

i just love a free country
Old 11-18-2003, 05:42 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

I cant see us getting over 40 more Horses out of an NA 6-cyl that is already pumping out 287hp.....I mean this is the same engine that is puttng out less in the Max and Altima. They have already stretched it to get it over 280 ponies NA IMO.

Im really ineterested in seeing some actual Emmisions and tuned ECU/ECM data.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: cool info

Originally posted by 350BRICK

i just love a free country
Well, there's always a dick in every crowd with the IQ of an ashtray. Nice to meet you, too.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:18 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Yeah 350BRICK is the reason you see Mickey Ds rapers on the highway.....way to be cool and not care about the environment

You must be a mental GIANT with insight like that
"its a free country man....lets trash it"

If I had to guess just from your comments what you look like....I think that this image would best describe it.....litter rules...and so do MULLETS
Attached Thumbnails Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)-mullets.jpg  
Old 11-19-2003, 07:06 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by EnthuZiast
Yeah 350BRICK is the reason you see Mickey Ds rapers on the highway.....way to be cool and not care about the environment

You must be a mental GIANT with insight like that
"its a free country man....lets trash it"

If I had to guess just from your comments what you look like....I think that this image would best describe it.....litter rules...and so do MULLETS
Right!
Old 12-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Zexy

Well, i just saw this thread, and it is VERY LONG, but you should have asked him if a SAFC would help, or any standalone type of computer. Those are definately ways of tricking/replacing the ECM. I don't see why he would call these type tuning tools as POS stuff manufacturers are selling.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Z-INCOGNITO

damn... straigh from the grave
Old 12-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)

Originally posted by InternetABYSS
Take it for what its worth...but I have been in contact with nissan engineers because of my car problem and they are shipping my transmission to califoria. They were all Japanese, the NNA guy incharge of training techs and handles all the service and parts departments in my region.

Not giving any names but this guy KNEW HIS SH*T. (Blew my mind.) He said something about hes the guy that trains the techs on the new model cars or something like that. Said something about a 310 hp V8 truck coming and a SUV and that alot of new models appearing to public in December.

I talked to him for 2 hours tonight and asked him alot of questions because he knew all the answers and confidently stated so. He helps the engineer "Task Force" and is the guy at NNA that has been helping me with my problems. He said my car has raised enough red flags SO I guess my car has become the official test pig thats why they are sending parts back to california.

"Highlights"

He said YOU CANNOT get performance gains with out either reprograming the ecu or faking it by cutting or sodering some wires/circuts and making it think it is running in normal specs. He said thats what aftermarket companies do when they "so called reprogram" the ecu and then charge $1300 bucks for it...(he laughed at that).... He said without faking it would do something about running in fail safe mode which makes it even crapper than stock specs....his example to my dumb *** was like windows 98 running in safe mode when there is a error.

He told me to save my money on the aftermarket mods until the air/fuel mapping info is released.

He said that a K&N won't make that much differences because of the way the 02 computers are run...It would just last longer than a normal airfilter.

He kept on saying the ECM needs to be reprogramed and released...OR cheaply faking out the computer by messing with the o2 sensors.

He told me that a easy way to prove that your aftermarket bolt ons aren't working would be to to run emmission tests before and after...if they are the same then your ECU compensated for the bolt on and just changed the mapping back to normal specs aka no gain OR defaulted to fail safe mode aka loss HP

He said that any mod would have to have the program retuned on the ECM to keep the computer from thinking its running too lean or rich. He said emissions are a big source for finding HP and mentions something about 320 hp total for a correctly tuned ecu.

Thats what he heard was capable of...

He said that he knows the specs/diagram of the ecu very well and what wire would need to be cut and resistors that need to be placed.

I told him...he needs to start a aftermarket company and sell it Darn conflict of interests

He also said that the 350z 2003 was detuned to 287.

I asked why...he said NISSAN did it so that the car on its debut wouldnt have major problems with a maxed out air/fuel maping and some kind of curve????? Nissan couldn't risk the 350Z being a flop and press slaming it because of problems. Also keeping the 50 state emissions in legal specs was part of it too. Nissan was conservative on maping the ecu this time. In future Z cars if this launch is successful they will dial up the mapping to increase the power. He also said something like they would increase the mass air flow sensor and essembly that would increase the breathing of the car.

He also said that NISMO is definitly making a turbo kit and HE PERFERRS the supercharger and thinks we should all be going on the forums asking for a nismo supercharger since nissan does pay serious attention to the major forums on the net.....

He went on and on about turbos being more touble than they are worth....

He said the supercharger has less parts, more reliable, and he doesnt have to change the exhaust system. More parts equals more things that can go wrong. He said that the Turbo option would also be very expensive.

Secondly he said it would be a nightmare because owners would boost the heck out of em them and blow their motors. He likes the painless less expensive supercharger and thinks it would be more reliable because of a belt driven pulley that has less problems and mention that the compression was too high for a reliable high boost turbo setup.

MAN I wish I was more technical. He mentioned alot of numbers, compression figures, Volts needed per sensor, Air/fuel mixture levels and so on.

LOL...I bottom lined it for him at the end of the conversation....

HOW CAN I GET MORE HP!!!!!

He said air intake kits, cams and exhaust sytems will just change the sound of the car until you can figure a way to reprogram the car or trick the sensors. He said with them fooled that we would see some slight gains. He mentioned something about the ECU going into fail safe mode again (he lost me there with some more technical figures)

The car will do good with a forced induction kit that is setup correctly with the mapping.....(supercharger all the way he said)

Lastly he said Nitros....That shocked me...I said "really you think its safe to run on the Z ?" then he suddenly changed the topic...LOL

So...moral of the 350z story...ECU and EMISSONS are the enemy.

SUPERCHARGERS and Mass air flow system raised from 20 something to 30 something are what he would do.

Nitros----for race cars only

My brain is on overload with info from him...if i can remeber more stuff he said I'll post it on this thread.
Okay then......how does NISSAN ITSELF get away with claiming power gains with NISMO parts???. In fact, with their cams, they specifically state "no adjustments to ECU required".
Old 12-09-2004, 02:29 PM
RichardD_757

Please ask if the 05 Z has the tire feathering problem solved.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:38 PM
510dat

please ask if the guy's still alive, it's only been 2 years! ROFL
Old 01-16-2005, 08:00 PM
md1400cs

Default Re: Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)

GREAT POST!!
You just saved me over $3000.00 on mods. THANKS
MJD
Old 01-17-2005, 02:29 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Richard, 04's had them solved, 04.5's had them solved, 05's have them solved. There are just a few that have the problem.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone see the dyno page in sport Z magazie done on the G35's? One of the cars was a stock 2003.5 G35 and it made 259hp and 254 tq. Another one of the cars a 04 g35 coupe with a JWT Popcharger, 350z airduct, Greddy EVOII Exhaust and an Unorthodox racing crank pulley made 239hp and 241tq. But the interresting car was an 04 g35 coupe with Injen CAI, Crawford V% Plenum, Crawford Cats, Injen SES Exhaust and a technosquare ECU made 270hp and 258Tq.

It appears the ECU has alot to do with the performance gains. Makes me think twice about doing any mods!!
Old 01-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Z BOY

Originally posted by Netko350Z
Anyone see the dyno page in sport Z magazie done on the G35's? One of the cars was a stock 2003.5 G35 and it made 259hp and 254 tq. Another one of the cars a 04 g35 coupe with a JWT Popcharger, 350z airduct, Greddy EVOII Exhaust and an Unorthodox racing crank pulley made 239hp and 241tq. But the interresting car was an 04 g35 coupe with Injen CAI, Crawford V% Plenum, Crawford Cats, Injen SES Exhaust and a technosquare ECU made 270hp and 258Tq.

It appears the ECU has alot to do with the performance gains. Makes me think twice about doing any mods!!
which month/yr of the mag?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Grommit

I'd be excited about this thread if it started in 2005 instead of 2003.

btw, what happened to the supercharger/turbo from Nissan that the guy talked about?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:37 PM
oren

please PM with what ECU changes need to be done in order to gain the most HP and torq

Quick Reply: Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)