Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What would you do? Synthetic v. Regular

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:06 AM
lascala26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do? Synthetic v. Regular

Alright...my Z is going to the dealer tomorow for an oil change. I have 11k miles on it and I have owned it since June 03. I've called over to find the price for a synthetic oil (Mobil One) change and the dealer stated they were $49.99. I have lifetime oil changes now valued at $24.99. Do you think it is worth it to pay the extra $25 to get the synthetic? Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:26 AM
shanlyn

Wink

You should stick to the oil you use...if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:47 AM
CC 350Z

There is no oil better than Mobil One synthetic IMHO. I have used Mobil One since my first oil change and its well worth the price.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:50 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have lifetime oil changes AT 24.95? Or they are free?

I changed to M1 at 5K miles. I think it is a great product. If you are paying the 24.95, I would go with the extra $25, specially if you plan to keep the car "forever". If you get FREE oil changes, just make sure to change it often and take advantage of the FREE deal.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:02 AM
lascala26

Good stuff! I pretty much figured that. I get 4 free oil changes a year for the life of the car. I paid $99 for this option. I think I will pay the $25/per change and get the M1. I know it makes a difference.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:47 PM
IsatteliteI

You'll always get arguments for both sides. The way I look at it, theres a reason for the extra cost, extra protection. Just one thing, if you're going the Mobil1 route, spend the extra money and get a Mobil1 oil filter. I changed mine and the extra protection gives me a bit more peace of mind and that's worth the money to me.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:19 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by IsatteliteI
Just one thing, if you're going the Mobil1 route, spend the extra money and get a Mobil1 oil filter. I changed mine and the extra protection gives me a bit more peace of mind and that's worth the money to me.

You should be careful switching oil filters. In my Audi, the oem Bosch oil filter was considered about the best there was. The dealer *and* the enthusiast crowd all recommended sticking with the oem filter as it was superior to all aftermarket filters. The same *might* be the case for the Nissan oem filter, or it might not. It's very hard to tell without lab testing.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:26 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by Bagelmeister
There is no oil better than Mobil One synthetic IMHO. I have used Mobil One since my first oil change and its well worth the price.
Many people might argue that Redline, Amsoil, and Motul are better. (Royal Purple is also mentioned around here, but I've never used it before.) Believe it or not, the last laboratory synthetic oil test results I read showed Amsoil at the top, followed closely by Castrol. (The test did not include Motul or Redline.) Mobil 1 was only at 4th or 5th place, if I recall. I'll see if I can dig up the link to the test results.

I was recently talking with a few racing crews (at the last races I went to up at Sears Point), and it seemed like most of the crews I spoke with were using Motul. I've had no personal experience with it yet, but I felt that said something about the quality of the oil. I believe Motul 8100 E-tech Lite Ester would be the one to use in the Z. (Anyone else have experience with Motul?)
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 AM
jun14scr

motul is awesome stuff. just stick with the ones that have the additives that let you go the additional miles versus the stuff that is for RACE USE only. remember to change ur filter twice, for every 2500 miles you go. i recommend 5k change intervals with synthetic with additives to prevent wear.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:16 AM
lunartick13

I know this thread is about OIL but since OIl Changes include oil filters I was just wondering if there is anything better than OEM Nissan filter ( cause it has the inti drain feature).
Anyone has anything on this?. I`am currently using Fram, but I thing of going back to OEM Nissan.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Durrr

Cruise through www.bobistheoilguy.com Best Oil Resource ANYWHERE
Old 08-10-2004, 10:07 AM
sprmario

yeah check out www.bobistheoilguy.com but I believe that fram filters are considered to be crap. most people recommend the long OEM Nissan filter which is supposed to be better than the short one, but the short one is more commonly used. The other recommendation was the Mobil M 110 or something like that.

Originally posted by lunartick13
I know this thread is about OIL but since OIl Changes include oil filters I was just wondering if there is anything better than OEM Nissan filter ( cause it has the inti drain feature).
Anyone has anything on this?. I`am currently using Fram, but I thing of going back to OEM Nissan.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:49 AM
jreiter

Originally posted by jun14scr
motul is awesome stuff. just stick with the ones that have the additives that let you go the additional miles versus the stuff that is for RACE USE only.

You are correct. The Motul 300V series is the racing stuff. Absolutely fantastic oil, and it is actually one of the *only* 100% synthetic oils. To my knowledge, no other oil labelled at fully synthetic is actually so! It's all advertising lies. However, like you said, the 300V series does not have the long-mileage additives that normal synth oils have, so it will *not* last more than 3000 miles or so. The Motul guy I was talking to was adamant about changing it often.

The other stuff that I listed in my last post (the 8100 series) *does* have those long-mileage additives, though, and is designed for street cars. It is still fantastic oil, but can go for lots of miles between changes.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:56 PM
BHOPPER 5

I use Motul in my Race bike and never had a problem. Castrol in my truck never had a problem and I think I'm going Mobil in the car. Never had a problem with any of the above oils at all. But then I change my oil often and check it regular. Just like tire pressure. Make sure your checking it to prolong wear life.

Other oils spoken about Redline and Royal Purple I have racing friends that run that that in their bikes and also never had a problem. Just be ready to spend more, look or hard to find it and drive futher to pick it up.

Can anyone say that really know someone that has changed and checked their oil often and really say that they have had a honest problem?
Old 08-10-2004, 05:42 PM
lunartick13

Originally posted by sprmario
yeah check out www.bobistheoilguy.com but I believe that fram filters are considered to be crap. most people recommend the long OEM Nissan filter which is supposed to be better than the short one, but the short one is more commonly used. The other recommendation was the Mobil M 110 or something like that.
Hey thanks, a lot of info at (www.bobsttheoilguy.com) all you ever wanted to know about oil, and then some.
As for the long version of the Nissan oil filter, I was not aware, I know IMO the standard oil filter is way to small, I will check into the long Nissan Filter.
Thanks again.