Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Another solution for Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 06:40 AM
Ohio350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another solution for Road Noise

When I posted a note last about a solution for the road noise issue that sounds like debri from the tires hitting metal, somebody posted a solution that you should put "Dynomat" underneath the carpeting in the car to muffle the sound.

I took a look at this and I don't think that this going to work. Here is the problem, the Z doesn't have a wheel well liner made of plastic. All Nissan did was coat the inside of the wheel well with some light weight fiber based material. When you tap the inside of the wheel well you can hear that you are tapping on metal. When you are in the car you can hear every little stone or piece of dirt impacting the metal frame (even though it is slightly coated). This gets really annoying.

For comparison I inspected my Saturn VUE SUV and it had a plastic liner that keeps road debri from flying up and hitting the frame. When the debri hits the plastic it doesn't make that "pinging" sound plus the space taht is created between the wheel well liner and the actual frame keeps the car quite.

I am not sure why nissan didn't do this as it seems like most car manufactures do this. Maybe it has to do with wheel clearance. My point to this is that the dynomat will muffle the sound to a certain degree but you still have debri hitting metal and that makes it hard to deaden the sound. Has anybody heard about an undercoating you can apply to the wheel welss to muffle the sound? I don't want to make it a mess but their has to be a simplier solution that ripping out the entire interior of the Z.