Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should I try this? Learn stick shift in 30 minutes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 03:33 PM
shagz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I try this? Learn stick shift in 30 minutes.

OK. In my search all over florida, it seems there are a lot less AT's available than MT's. I talked to a dealer today, and he has a car on the lot, but it's MT. He says if I go down there tomorrow, he will teach me to drive a MT in 30 minutes. I have pretty good hand-eye-feet coordination (in athletics), so should I give it a shot? I was looking for a AT, but honestly, I do feel a little shy driving my wifes AT vette. And I'm dying to discover the 3rd gear chirp everyone is talking about.
What do you guys say?
Old 10-18-2002, 03:39 PM
rep15

First off, I have driven a stick continuously for 38 years so I am biased but you cannot fail learn to drive a manual in 30 minutes. I learned while also trying to learn to drive - that was tough. I have also taught my two kids to drive a stick. It is not that difficult to learn. It is difficult to master but that comes with use and time shifting. The only problem driving a stick is on steep hills. That is not a problem in Jax.

Don't pass up this opportunity. Even if you don't get the car you will then be able to drive any car put in front of you for the rest of your life.

Last edited by rep15; 10-18-2002 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:02 PM
Zchick

I agree... I learned when I was 9 on a tractor in Indiana... I am now 32 and will never drive an automatic - period. My mother drove a '69 Javlin with a 390 engine, the only one they had was an automatic. She has always regreted not waiting for the manual model.

I know a lot of people will trash me for this one... But AT's are for little old ladies who don't have the guts to drive the car the way it was meant to be driven.

It's rear wheel drive people... Drive that car!!! Get after it in first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and in sixth gear.

Trust me, I have owned 6 Nissans, 4 of them Z cars & all of them have performed magnificently. They will last you your lifetime provided you take care of them. Change the oil, do the required maintenance, let her warm up & cool down on drives. But dammit, DRIVE that car!

SHIFT_ obsession

Zchick
Old 10-18-2002, 05:41 PM
Enforcer

Originally posted by Zchick
I agree... I learned when I was 9 on a tractor in Indiana... I am now 32 and will never drive an automatic - period. My mother drove a '69 Javlin with a 390 engine, the only one they had was an automatic. She has always regreted not waiting for the manual model.

I know a lot of people will trash me for this one... But AT's are for little old ladies who don't have the guts to drive the car the way it was meant to be driven.

It's rear wheel drive people... Drive that car!!! Get after it in first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and in sixth gear.

Trust me, I have owned 6 Nissans, 4 of them Z cars & all of them have performed magnificently. They will last you your lifetime provided you take care of them. Change the oil, do the required maintenance, let her warm up & cool down on drives. But dammit, DRIVE that car!

SHIFT_ obsession

Zchick
What Zchick said!

I learned on a tractor when I was young too (30 years ago) and have 2 280ZX's (MTs). It's not that hard but will take time to learn and more to master (I'm still working on the master part!). And to me that's the key, it's like a game, a challenge if you will, it's what makes a stick shift fun to drive. It's you versus a mechanical device, who is going to win? Everytime I shift, I'm trying for perfection, to me it's a matter of concentration and control (finesse).

He can teach you enough to get you safely home, if not in 30 minutes then in half a day. After that, practice, practice, practice!

Enforcer
Old 10-18-2002, 05:43 PM
Ludecrew

Ahhh, nicely stated by a true Z veteran.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:50 PM
drivebywire

I remember how much I hated my manual Jetta (even though it is so much fun to drive) when I used to cummute 18 miles in 1 hour in I-94 Detroit.

After pressing clutch so many times, your left leg will say " enough!!".

On the other hand, Sports cars are meant for pleasure.... and therefore, manual is a must!
Old 10-18-2002, 05:57 PM
belkmike

The Z has a lot of power so will be harder to stall then a little 4 banger. 30 minutes should be fine.

For safety sake if you live in a hilly area then ask him to show you how to use the parking brake to stop from rolling back when you take your right foot off the brake and move it to the gaz.

With a 30 minute lesson, if you end up at a red light on hill with a car six inches behind you you will do 1 of 3 things.
1. Stall
2. Drop the clutch @ 6000 and smoke your way out of the intersection
3. Hit the guy behind you.

You will not pull away smoothly. With the assist of the parking brake you will.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:31 PM
futuredeadguy

Default It's Easy

I learned to drive a stick from my dad in our '76 Toyota Corona station wagon. I was learning basic driving at the time. I not only learned to use the stick in about 15 minutes, but he also showed me the principles and value of 'heel-toe' at the same time. My dad was a great driver and a great teacher.

He also taught me to parallel park in our '72 Kingswood Estate wagon (The Barge). That also took about 15 minutes to master under his direction. Amazing how many people out there never had a teacher like my dad. I still chuckle when I see someone struggling to get their small car into a HUGE parallel space.

There is a reason for the bus.

Dead
Old 10-18-2002, 07:42 PM
ksj

Originally posted by Zchick
My mother drove a '69 Javlin with a 390 engine, the only one they had was an automatic.
Zchick
Anyone remember the AMX? I rode passenger in a '69 in a couple of SCCA club hill climb races when I was a kid in the late 70's. What a blast of a car!

I like my Z more though.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:49 PM
shagz

Thanks a lot for all your support guys, I think I'll go give it a shot. It's a challenge to me now.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:01 AM
DrAxe

the only way to feel like part of the car is to shift it yourself, automatic transmission is a crime
Old 10-19-2002, 04:20 AM
shagz

HAHA...DrAxe you're sure to get flamed for that one from somebody. I noticed you're from Jacksonville too. Is there a club yet for Jacksonville Z'ers?
Old 10-19-2002, 07:09 AM
DrAxe

heh, auto trannies=bluehair grannies

just my opinion of course

I dont know of any Z clubs in Jax yet. Big town though, I'm sure there would be some interest. There are plenty of other car groups around, they are kind of hard to miss on Saturday nights.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:23 AM
shagz

I saw a PPW parked when I went to the Skinner YMCA by Southpoint. I think it was this last Monday or Wednesday around 6:30-7. Is the owner on this message board?
Btw, I'm leaving for the dealer now, to try to learn a stick shift, and then buy the car. My wife is not particularly thrilled with the idea, even though she had a stick about 10 years back. I guess the clutch is the first thing I'll wear out. How much is it to replace a clutch?
Man, I am so pumped to drive the stick shift, but scared too. Reminds me of the first time I got on the road by myself in my first 85 ford mustang.
Wish me luck.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:11 PM
shagz

OK. It's safe in the garage. It took me exactly 20 minutes to get the hang of driving a stick. You guys are right. It is a blast, and so much more involved than an auto. The salesman taught me on the tarmac of Palatka airport (not much of an airport, more like a strip). I stalled a few times on 1st, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. But once I get thru first, it is a breeze. I have the rev limiter set to 4000, till I get the hang of it. Then I'll go up in 500 rpm increments.
So anyway, from Palatka, my friend and I got onto 95, and drove back to Jax, came home to show it to my wife, and then went over to a friends place, to gloat over it. My friend was having a party for his co-workers, and all of them came out and ooohhh'ed and aaahhh'ed over it.
Thanks guys for all the encouragement for learning a stick. I will post pictures tomorrow, because it's already 7 here in Jax, and it's getting dark.
God....I can't stop smiling.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:15 PM
shagz

Oh and I forgot to mention...it's a Touring chrome silver with charcoal interior. It is stunning. I was thinking of getting the aero package, but I think it looks beautiful the way it is. I love the 18" wheels.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:19 PM
DrAxe

lucky bastard! I want to come over for a ride!!
Old 10-19-2002, 03:30 PM
shagz

SquareOne at San Marco is having their anniversary party this coming Wednesday eve. My friends and I will be there. Ask Amy the waitress, or Rabi the bar manager for Koushik or Duane. She will find me (I'm Koushik). And I'll leave my car parked at the Bank across the street. And all drinks are free that night. Must remember not to drink too much though.

Quick Reply: Should I try this? Learn stick shift in 30 minutes.