Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Powered exhaust redirect! Saw it on Trucks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Mr_Q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powered exhaust redirect! Saw it on Trucks.

Anyone know of the vendor? I saw on the SpikeTV shows "trucks" a powered exhaust redirect. After the header it directs flow using a ball valve to side pipes with the flick of a switch. Bypassing the cat and muffler.

Now that would be bad ***. But I didn't hear who made this kit.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:57 PM
drdisco

Default Re: Powered exhaust redirect! Saw it on Trucks.

I remember seeing a post about this a while ago. It was installed on a camaro though. One side directed the exhaust into the factory pipes, and the other side dumped out into a straight pipe. Not sure how legal it is and nobody could really confirm that it would work well on a Z. The general concensus, if I remember right, was that the Z needs a bit of backpressure from the exhaust.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:13 PM
drdisco

Default Re: Re: Powered exhaust redirect! Saw it on Trucks.

Did some research. Summit has a cable operated one. Part number mrg-5424.

Here is an electric one.

QTP
Old 08-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Mr_Q

Default Re: Re: Re: Powered exhaust redirect! Saw it on Trucks.

Originally posted by drdisco
Did some research. Summit has a cable operated one. Part number mrg-5424.

Here is an electric one.

QTP
Dude, rock on and thanks!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Powered exhaust redirect! Saw it on Trucks.

Originally posted by drdisco
the Z needs a bit of backpressure from the exhaust.
Eeeeeeek, it's the back pressure myth again!

but I digress

Mr_Q cutouts are in fact illegal for use in California (just so you know). I think they are cool!

Chris
Old 08-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Mr_Q

Default Re: Re: Re: Powered exhaust redirect! Saw it on Trucks.

Yah, but if you only use them at the strip or the ocassional stop light...heh.

As far as passing visual...I have a couple of nice places to go fo that.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:53 PM
drdisco

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Powered exhaust redirect! Saw it on Trucks.

Yeah, the backpressure thing doesn't make much sense to me either but I was just regurdgitating what I had heard previously.

I am pretty sure they are illegal around me too, but the half-wits at the state emissions inspection stations around here would probably never even notice. (They once tried to put front wheels of my rwd t-bird on the barrels to do the "rolling" test)
Old 08-18-2004, 08:06 PM
wren57
Banned

Backpressure is needed on an NA engine. I ran without a y-pipe for about 10 minutes and felt a CONSIDERABLE loss in power below 4k. Above 4k it felt about the same.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:10 PM
shopdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by wren57
Backpressure is needed on an NA engine. I ran without a y-pipe for about 10 minutes and felt a CONSIDERABLE loss in power below 4k. Above 4k it felt about the same.
Backpressure due to exhaust restriction is *never* a good thing.

*But* you do want the exhaust system to be *tuned* such that it helps extract (scavenge) exhaust gases and prevents reversion. The wrong length can pull raw fuel through the engine during the time both the intake and exhaust valves are open (overlap period), or cause fuel to backflow into the intake (reversion). Both are bad, affecting both power and economy.

The length and diameter of the exhaust system tunes it by supporting standing waves over a particular frequency range (RPM range). There are two parts to this tuning. The header tube length to the collector is one. This is most important at high RPMs. The total length and diameter to the exhaust tip is the other. This basically affects the amount of low end torque the engine will produce.

There are equations engine designers use to determine these lengths and diameters for a particular engine. The engine displacement, cam profile, intake configuration, and *intended operating profile* all interact to determine the ideal exhaust system configuration. Deviating from that configuration can cause substantial loss of performance or economy over various parts of the RPM range.

Tinkering with the exhaust system can also cause our engines to run lean, which is very bad since our ECUs only have a limited range over which they can adjust mixture to prevent detonation. (In the old days, hotrodders would simply rejet the carburetor to compensate for exhaust system changes. We can't do that. We have to either get our ECUs reflashed, or add on a piggyback controller to correct the A/F ratio.)

A very good book which covers all this in detail is "Design and Tuning of Competition Engines" by Philip Smith. He devotes a couple of chapters to exhaust system design. It is critical to good engine performance. Nissan engineers did a good job of employing these design equations to give us an engine with good performance characteristics. Mucking about with the exhaust system without a good understanding of these design factors can yield a car with inferior performance. It is even possible to cause engine damage.