Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Question about automatic manual shift mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 08:47 AM
alkamist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about automatic manual shift mode

Just had a question out of curiousity, and no I haven't read the manual because I don't have my Z yet... [And I will be going with the 6 speed manual]

Anyway, I was wondering about the automatic tranny and the manual shift mode. Let say you're rolling along in 4th gear and you come up on a stoplight, but you don't downshift, and then come to a complete stop. Does it automatically kick back to 1st gear? In other words without any shifter intervention, do you start off in 4th gear, or 1st gear? (If you don't downshift isn't it kind of awkward to click click click or tap tap tap back down to first?)

Whatever the answer is, do most cars follow pretty much the same rule, or does it differ by vehicle branch?

Lastly, does the Z have an indicator as to what gear you are currently in, on the dash? I would think it would have to have something...

Thanks guys!
Old 10-19-2002, 09:33 AM
Bjmnzzzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Automatic is a marvel to drive! In manual mode, upshifting and downshifting is precise and great fun. If you do not downshift, while coming to a stop, the tranny does a very smooth, automatic downshift to 1st gear. As you proceed forward, the tranny stays in which ever gear you select, so be sure to watch your RPM's and remember to grab the next gear, especially during breakin.

There is an LED readout of the current gear displayed at the bottom of the Tach. If in Automatic mode, the readout shows D for Drive.

However, when it reads "R", it does NOT mean "Race"!