Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What would you say?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:47 PM
SynfulSeraph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What would you say?

Hey guys I am new to the forum, first I want to start by saying hello!

I am in a bit of a dilemma and decided that what better place to find help then from those who know first hand.

I am in the market for a new car... I originally had a 93 FD, but that went bye bye... I currently drive a POS 03 ZX3 which I use to get around for now but am looking for something much more my taste.

I have a couple of cars in consideration. One being the RSX-S A-Spec, the Evolution VIII, the STi, the SRT4, the 350z (love it, except no back seat =( ) and of course the G35 coupe. I also am considering an MKIV.

I have such a passion for the 350z, however that lack of back seat, how do you all deal with that? is it that big of a trade off? And I know the G35c has a back seat but does it lack compared to the Z? I personally used to like the looks of the G35 over that of the 350 but with a bit of time I find nothing quite as beautiful as that of the 350 *drool*

If you all could give me your inputs and reviews on the 350z/G35c and any other of these cars you might have history with it would be most appreciated folks

I would also like to apologize if this is placed in the incorrect forum, I mean no disrespect by it. I hope I get to meet some of you all and I thank you for sharing your wisdom with a potential soon to be Z owner.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:57 PM
CaptinB

I'm a single guy and I've not run into any problems with it. I can fit well over $100 in groceries in the back with no issues.

I think you've gotta ask the question of yourself.
What would I put back there??
Old 08-21-2004, 04:29 AM
jovasi

The Z is my 3rd vehicle so I don't have any problems. I guess it depends on if you are going to need to haul things or people. If you will, you may have an issue. If not, the Z is the way to go.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:50 AM
amf813

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How often do you use the backseat in your present car? I love the fact that there is no backseat.

My Z is a second vehicle and I drive it only weekends for the most part.

Not having a back seat is a simple way for me to get out of driving all my friends around.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:15 AM
SynfulSeraph

Originally posted by amf813
How often do you use the backseat in your present car? I love the fact that there is no backseat.

Not having a back seat is a simple way for me to get out of driving all my friends around.
Well consider I might not be trading in the focus... at least I could use that when I need to transport stuff... buuut still... I don't transport much when I do. I only have friends with me who actually sit in the back maybe 2% of all driving time... and the Z's trunk has enough space to hold whatever I'll be carrying, which is just a few suitcases some laundry etc. (college =p ) so what do you guys think?

Other than the backseat issue what's the buying point over the G35?

Only thing that has grasped me so far is the fact that it seems the 350 is embraced more openly as a tuner car by aftermarket companies?

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's a shot in the dark lol.

Well thanks guy hope to hear again from ya soon!
Old 08-21-2004, 08:22 AM
rockinbboy

Don't get a RSX-S A-Spec if you got the other cars in consideration.

EvoVIII - Sweet car and probably the most agressive looking one (from the front) compared to the rest. I personally dig the car and I don't see that often. The STi is bad *** soo. Both these vehicles are faster than the Z...stock for stock. They at least have the backseat and the extra doors should you need to drive my friends around.

The Z is a hot car..I used to thin the G35 coupe was hot, but the Z reeled me in. Have you been inside a Z yet? Have you test drove all the cars? Why don't you do that first if you haven't already. That will give you a stronger feeling as to what to filter out and what to pursue.

I want a Z, but yeah..I also have a back seat issue. HOwever, I plan to keep the Z as a weekend driver, so that just makes me want to thave the car more!

<drool>

Oh as far as a MkIV is concerned.....GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE!!. If you want to dish out $25k + at least for a good condition that probably already 11 years old, you can. I mean..its my dream car too...but soemtimes reality hits my head and I just say...Z Z Z Z Z .
Old 08-21-2004, 08:28 AM
SynfulSeraph

Originally posted by rockinbboy

EvoVIII - Sweet car and probably the most agressive looking one (from the front) compared to the rest. I personally dig the car and I don't see that often. The STi is bad *** soo. Both these vehicles are faster than the Z...stock for stock. They at least have the backseat and the extra doors should you need to drive my friends around.

The Z is a hot car..I used to thin the G35 coupe was hot, but the Z reeled me in. Have you been inside a Z yet? Have you test drove all the cars? Why don't you do that first if you haven't already. That will give you a stronger feeling as to what to filter out and what to pursue.

I want a Z, but yeah..I also have a back seat issue. HOwever, I plan to keep the Z as a weekend driver, so that just makes me want to thave the car more!

<drool>

Oh as far as a MkIV is concerned.....GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE!!. If you want to dish out $25k + at least for a good condition that probably already 11 years old, you can. I mean..its my dream car too...but soemtimes reality hits my head and I just say...Z Z Z Z Z .
Ummm a friend of mine has a stock 97 MKIV in immaculate condition he's willing to give to me for 12k and not a cent more...

however aside from that I decided I didn't want to get another FD even though I love em is because of the overexcessive maintenance.

I've been in the Z, I've been in the G35, I've been in the Evo, haven't had the chance to drive the STi though.

I like all of them, I find the Z and G35 smoother than the latter because of the stiff rally style suspension, but the AWD and beastly numbers the other two put out for 4 cylinders is ridiculous. Not to mention the Evo has an amazing aftermarket... so what's your take now?
Old 08-21-2004, 08:41 AM
Zcarboy

Thumbs up

Originally posted by amf813

Here here, I agree with you there. I had a Rodeo back in HS and drove all my friends around in it. But that got old after a while so my Corvette gave me good reason that I couldn't take everyone every where. Now that I am married with the 350Z I only take my wife or a good friend around and maybe the cat in the hatch back part. Just kidding about the cat part. LOL

Last edited by Zcarboy; 08-21-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Jetpilot718

Originally posted by rockinbboy

Both these vehicles are faster than the Z...stock for stock. They at least have the backseat and the extra doors should you need to drive my friends around.

Consider this: You're rolling on the boulevard with 4 of your friends on the way to the bar in an EVO or STi. You stop at a stoplight next to me in my Z, with my friend, on the way to the same bar. Who's gonna get there first? (This reminds me of those high school math questions with the two trains)

The Z. Why? Not because I'm an awesome driver , But because you with your friends will put you at a worse power to weight ratio than me with my friend in the Z.

Bottom line, the Z will never feel different if you have a passenger, or are alone.

The EVO or STi or Neon, however, will show a great difference in ride, handling, and acceleration/deceleration between you alone and you with 4 passenegrs.

I'd never wanna use the excuse "I dont wanna race him, I have a full car" in front of my friends, they would surely call me a puss.

Choose wisely.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:02 AM
SynfulSeraph

Originally posted by Jetpilot718
Consider this: You're rolling on the boulevard with 4 of your friends on the way to the bar in an EVO or STi. You stop at a stoplight next to me in my Z, with my friend, on the way to the same bar. Who's gonna get there first? (This reminds me of those high school math questions with the two trains)

The Z. Why? Not because I'm an awesome driver , But because you with your friends will put you at a worse power to weight ratio than me with my friend in the Z.

Bottom line, the Z will never feel different if you have a passenger, or are alone.

The EVO or STi or Neon, however, will show a great difference in ride, handling, and acceleration/deceleration between you alone and you with 4 passenegrs.

I'd never wanna use the excuse "I dont wanna race him, I have a full car" in front of my friends, they would surely call me a puss.

Choose wisely.
LOL nice analogy... but you missed two points. Consider either the Evo, STi or SRT4 with just a driver comparatively to the Z or G but aside from that... I have yet to get a review of the car, handling, style, modability, aftermarket support, etc. etc. etc. give me the ups the downs the ins the outs the pluses and minuses pros and cons give me the inny and outty of the Z and G if you all could

Much appreciated guys keep up the pimp work =P rock on!
Old 08-21-2004, 10:12 AM
notlownf

I really hope that his MKIV is not a TT, because if he is going to give you a TT for 12K you should have bought it already.

As far as the cars you listed, the STI and EVO are not real good daily drivers.

The G35 will give you the best warranty and service but the Z will turn the most heads. FWIW If I wasn't married I would have bought a Z instead of a G35 coupe.

What do you want the car to do? If you want pure speed and don't care about comfort then the STI is the car.

Last edited by notlownf; 08-21-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:30 AM
SynfulSeraph

Originally posted by notlownf
I really hope that his MKIV is not a TT, because if he is going to give you a TT for 12K you should have bought it already.

As far as the cars you listed, the STI and EVO are not real good daily drivers.

The G35 will give you the best warranty and service but the Z will turn the most heads. FWIW If I wasn't married I would have bought a Z instead of a G35 coupe.

What do you want the car to do? If you want pure speed and don't care about comfort then the STI is the car.
Well it is a TT =P I am considering buying that along with a new car, keep the MKIV as a track/drift project car... However it's a dependency.

I previously forgot that I also am heavily considering the S2k. I want something stylish that looks good and will turn heads. Has a nice interior and the like. Is comfortable with good ability in power and modability. I just want the overall package seeing as this is potentially a daily driver.

I hope that helps, sorry I didn't post this previously, guess I just wain't thinkin today lol
Old 08-21-2004, 10:34 AM
notlownf

At that price I would jump on the Supra.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Hazade

s2k?!!
i'd recommend staying away from the honda. as far as your other choices I prefer the Z over the g35c mainly just for styling reasons. Plus I havent really looked much into the aftermarket scene for the infinity but I think the Z is much better in that area. The lack of a backseat was actually a plus for me. I am a single guy and rarely needed a back seat before. The only time I ever used it was to drive friends around but I didn't want to do that anyway so this car gets me out of that

as for the supra or the Z, well, i guess thats your call. I love the tt supra but prefer the Z in the end. I guess its just the fact that I like newer cars.. Good luck in whatever you decide

oh, and welcome to the board
Old 08-21-2004, 05:40 PM
CelticPride2

Smile

My advice would be to just think long and hard about how often you actually need the back seat in your current car and go for there. I was a little apprehensive initially about the lack of a back seat in the Z, but when I thought more about it, I realized that I could count the number of times I actually had people riding in the back seat on one hand. Taking that into consideration, I decided that the back seat was a non-issue.

The STi and the Evo both have the four-door practicality, but I just can't look past the exaggerated bodywork. If I could get the STi without the spoiler, I'd give it some consideration, but the Evo just doesn't do it for me at all...

Now that I am married with the 350Z I only take my wife or a good friend around and maybe the cat in the hatch back part. Just kidding about the cat part. LOL
Of course you were kidding about the cat in the hatchback....that's what the storage bin behind the passenger seat is for.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Hazade

Originally posted by CelticPride2

The STi and the Evo both have the four-door practicality, but I just can't look past the exaggerated bodywork. If I could get the STi without the spoiler, I'd give it some consideration, but the Evo just doesn't do it for me at all...
I dont like the look of either of them. ESPECIALLY the spoiler on the sti. that plus the grossly oversized hoodscoop are just really an eye sore for me
Old 08-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Silverstone_350

Well, I have a Z, my roomie has an MKIV TT Supra, my cousin has a g35c, and my friend has an STI. Based on my experiences, my Z is perfect, but only because it is perfect for me.

As others have said, your decision should be based on what you want out of the car. All your choices have fairly good performance, so take into consideration what you do during the week, how a car is involved in your weekly schedule, and go from there.

During the week, I don't really have to drive anybody around so the Z is perfect. But during the weekend when I'm with my bro and cousins, a back seat would definitely help out.

Both the MKIV and STI have ***** out performance, but depending on how much you maintain your rides, do you really want to deal with the whole warming up and cooling down of the turbo? Not to mention the fact that the Supra is a comfortable ride for only the driver. Have you ever been inside the passenger side of a Supra? With the seat all the way back, I still could not stretch my legs out comfortably because there just is no open area under the front dash (and I'm only 6'0") - just something to keep in mind if you will have to drive people around. As for the STI, you may think differently but if I have performance like the STI has, I'd want it to look more sports car-like (how about a coupe rather than a sedan).

Now for the g35c vs. the 350z... when I was looking to buy a car, I actually preferred the g35c over the Z. I liked how it had luxury with performance to match, and not to mention the back seat. But from what I understood, you had to pay extra to get the g in a manual transmission. Taking this into account, an Enthusiast ended up being the cheaper choice while still meeting all my needs. Plus, over here in my area the Z is really rare while the G is a dime a dozen, so when I drive around town the looks and stares never stop.

But again, it all depends on what you need. Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the Z cult!